Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gursg24

Mauviel M'Cook or All-Clad D5

gursg24
9 years ago

We are looking to upgrade our cookware from a mix of various cookware including torn up non-stick and non-clad SS Faberware. We found good deals on both Mauviel and All-Clad for roughly equivalent medium sets for basically the same price. In comparing them (without using) they look fairly equivalent in build quality and weight. I would say the look of the All-Clad is more industrial while the Mauviel has a more classic, romantic look. However, we aren't buying them to look at but to cook. Does anyone have direct experience with both that could offer a comparison? I have only found a few reviews of the Mauviel that seem somewhat mixed, but not a lot about the actually cooking. Lots and lots of reviews of the All-Clad, but I taking them somewhat with a grain of salt as I think All-Clad is somewhat like Bose is to stereos (what the un-initiated think of as the best). That is not to say All-Clad is not good, but I would love to hear from the experts! Especially anyone with Mauviel M'Cook experience. We need to return one set and will keep the other. Thanks for the help.

Comments (2)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I do not have All-Clad, save for a roasting pan that came with my oven, and the only Mauviel that I have is the copper version, and very old. However, even though I do not cook with the pans in your query, I do have a suggestion. Place something approximately as heavy as the contents of your pans will be while you are cooking, and try the movements that you will make while cooking. Compare the comfort of the handles and the feel of the pans. I find the way a pan feels can add or detract significantly from cooking pleasure. Perhaps you have already experimented?
    PS
    I once had a non-stick roasting pan from All-Clad. The coating peeled after a use or two. I sent it to All-Clad, at my expense, for an evaluation of whether it could be replaced per their warranty. Their response was that the defect was caused by using heat that was too high, i.e. over 350. My response was that roasting temperatures are, by definition, high. However, they did not replace the pan. I am not a big fan of All-Clad, but I know that many people love them.

• Gary.F
    9 years ago

Although I sell Mauviel and really think it's great stuff I tell customers on the fence to buy one pan from both makers in question and see for yourself. There are differences in all brands and I don't believe in the one maker fits all philosophy. Your strength and cooking demands will help you decide which brand is best for you.
    good luck
    Gary.F

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz