Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob411

pressure cooker

bob411
19 years ago

This is Bob's wife. I am interested in pressure cookers. I never used one due to the fact that my sister was burned by one when she was little. I heard that they now have safety latches on them. Does anyone know of a good, reasonable priced one? Thanks

Comments (16)

• akastj_northern_ca
    19 years ago

Yes, they've changed considerably since those available years ago.

I haven't seen any of the ones you can use on the stove lately. However, QVC has two electric versions you may want to look at. I've linked them below...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: QVC.com / Kitchen Electrics / Pressure Cookers

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

Recently I bought a 4 qt. stainless steel Presto pressure cooker from www.pressurecooker-outlet.com. It is a stove top pan and I've used it several times in the past few weeks. It is easy to use, easy to clean, and the foods I've cooked were delicious. I especially like a pc for stew beef, pot roast, beef stew (I made Beef Goulash Budapest), and soups. I also cooked soup bones in it for a great beef stock.

It was ordered on a Monday morning and by Tuesday morning it was delivered by UPS. Of course, the outlet is in Hillsville, VA and I am in NC, but that was the quickest delivery from an online order that I have ever experienced. Instant gratification - love it!

The Presto pc was about $57 incl. shipping and has a booklet on safe use with some recipes. I've also got a large pc/canner that I have used for many years that is also a Presto brand. For the money, I think this is a very good quality. My mom also has her original 50+ year old pc, also a Presto - but it needs a new sealing gasket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure Cooker outlet

• jhart3
    19 years ago

Chek out Kuhn Rikon:

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/

Been using preassure cookiers for years and love these, they are the best. You can find them at Amazon.com. They are expensive, but will last a lifetime and the design is outstanding in everyway.

• blsdgal
    19 years ago

AKA,

I just ordered the six quart version of this pressure cooker from QVC for $106.

I ordered two. One for my mom and of course one for myself. I watched the demo on this machine on TV and it looks very cool.

I'll let you know.

Now, If only I could find a good replacement for my old slow cooker!??

Susan

• pkguy
    19 years ago

I now have two pressure cookers, my old aluminum Presto and a shiny new T-fal. If you're uncertain about it I would suggest buying the most inexpensive Presto aluminum model and try it out. They can be had for around $30 and are very safe to use. If it turns out you're not enamored with it you can return it or just use the pot as a normal pot. The only thing about the aluminum one is that it loses its shiny appearance and goes flat dull looking, doesn't affect the cooking just the look. A few years back Consumer Reports tested these newer more safe pressure cookers and try as they may to plug them up to blow they couldn't do it because all the safety features worked perfectly which is comforting to know. They were quite impressed with them as a whole. I'm quite impressed with my T-Fal model, it's a newer design with two pressure settings and an easy to use pressure release switch. It also came with a steaming basket and a second lid for normal use.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

Run, don't walk, to the bookstore and buy Lorna Sass's 'Pressure Perfect : Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker'. Fabulous book for beginners as well as experts. She discusses what to look for in buying one and lists resources. Bottom line: buy the biggest you can, about 8 qts. The link below is for a book shopping bot I use frequently, set for Illinois. I love mine, you can do a search on this forum and find some posts/recipes! (risotto in 3 minutes - really!)

Here is a link that might be useful: www.addall.com

• Deanna Goldberg
    19 years ago

Ask Miss Vickie....

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Site

• bob411
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you so much for all the help and information. I have not decided on a brand yet, but with all the help I am sure I can make a wise decision. Thanks again, Ann

• Dotty9
    19 years ago

Susan, TJ, and Bob's wife; I have the 6 qt.Cooks Essentials electric pressure cooker from QVC,and I just absolutely LOVE it. It's soooooo easy to use,and cleans up so easy.I personaly would highly recomend it. Worth every penny!
    Dotty

• blsdgal
    19 years ago

Dotty,

Thanks! Both of mine have been delivered and are wrapped up for Christmas. I wanted to try mine out right away and dh made me save it for Christmas. Bah-humbug. Can't wait to try it out.

Susan

• Candysweet
    19 years ago

This is Bob's girlfriend..sorry don't know a thing about pressure cookers.

• bob411
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Candysweet, have you been drinkin? Bob's wife.

• kraftdee
    16 years ago

This on looks interesting...I'm a sucker for easy. It's even dishwasher safe. I have a Fagor and it works fine but if I were to buy another, I would invest in good quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: pressure cooker sur la table

• arley_gw
    16 years ago

That Cuisinart item looks pretty good. I have a small electric PC which got me hooked on pressure cooking. It's not a Cuisinart, but I do have a few Cuisinart items and I'm really pleased with the quality.

The big advantage as I see it for that Cuisinart pressure cooker is the automatic timer. Just set it and forget it, as Ron Popeil might say.

Disadvantage is that it might take up a little more counter space/storage room than a traditional PC.

• suzyq3
    16 years ago

The big advantage as I see it for that Cuisinart pressure cooker is the automatic timer. Just set it and forget it, as Ron Popeil might say.

Disadvantage is that it might take up a little more counter space/storage room than a traditional PC.

Another disadvantage, arley, IMO, is that the Cuisinart has a nonstick interior. I'd worry about its limited durability. I prefer my all SS Kuhn-Rikon because it's just about indestructible.

• cj47
    16 years ago

I started out with a Russell Hobbs programmable electric pressure cooker. It got me hooked on pressure cooking, but those electric ones limit you a lot. It's nice that you can set them and walk away, but they take forever to heat up, and they're notoriously unreliable. The one I had died on me three times, mid meal. Fortunately it was under warranty and eventually they refunded my money. I used the refund towards a Kuhn Rikon 7 liter. I love it. I like this brand particularly because you can see at a glance what pressure you are at--the others require you to detect a 'gentle hissing' or some such thing to guess if you're at high pressure. Not with the KR, if you can see the second line, you are at high pressure. No guesswork. And plenty of safety features. It's very easy to use. And when it comes time to release pressure, you don't have to sit there and hold down a button--you just pull the turn top up and it depressurizes. I can't recommend it highly enough. Lorna Sass' books are also indispensable.

Have fun,
    cj