Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Stainless Pans Improve With Age?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 20:44

Yes, I know you can't season stainless, but I swear I've read in several places that the pans become more nonstick the more you use them. Steel also has pores so maybe they fill too with polymerized oil. Is this just folly, or have you found the performance of your older stainless improves with age? I think I also read that some chefs treat their new stainless to improve it. I think they did something with salt to it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Stainless Pans Improve With Age?

I have had stainless Farberware pots and pans for 18 years and haven't noticed any improvement with age. However, the finish is is wonderful condition on both the inside and outside of the pan, But they're thin and cook poorly. I'm now replacing them with clad stainless. But I am curious as to what the pro's might do to improve the performance of stainless cookware. Perhaps someone else will know a little more on the topic.

o

I've been using many of the same SS pans for 20-something years and don't see an improvement. On the other hand, they have not deteriorated either. Some of the old handles might move just a tad but the finish is the same. SS is one of the materials that has withstood the test of time.

o

Unlike cast iron, stainless does not improve with age, and unlike non-stick, it does not deteriorate with age either. If you like it when it's new, you will be happy for a long long time. If you don't like it when it's new, you will be unhappy until you replace it.

I've seen reports of one exception to the above that have nothing to do with whether food sticks to the pan or not. Some people have reported here and elsewhere that a brand new highly polished stainess pan can exhibit strange behavior when used to boil water. With no small imperfections in the surface providing places for the trains of small steam bubbles to start, the transition from simmering to boiling is quite abrupt. The word "explosive" was used in one report. I suspect what's happening is that very large steam bubbles are forming so there is no slow boil, just no boil followed by a very high boil. As I said, this has nothing to do with food sticking but people reporting this say that it improves as the pan gets older and small scratches and pits appear in the surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here