Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Instant read thermometer?

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 20:13

Can you guys please recommend an instant read thermometer that's accurate, fast and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I've tried the ones from the local super markets and they never are very accurate or very fast. Like for instance, the latest one I tried didn't even read up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit when my steak was medium well done already. It's supposed to be able to read up to 200 something degrees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Instant read thermometer?

Many of these thermometers can be calibrated. There is a nut on the back where the probe goes into the dial,put the thermometer into a glass of ice water,it should read about 34 degrees. See what temp. it is showing then loosen the nut with a pair of pliers and turn the dial until it reads 34 then re-tighten nut.

A restaurant supply store is usually the best place to but items such as this. The quality is better and the price lower.

o

It has a nut but it's connected to the casing, I think. I didn't see any seam. It's also reading the room temperature correctly.

This one just seems to stop reading the temperature at about 120 degrees. It just stays at 120 without continuing to rise.

o

Ok, I found it. I did calibrate it but then it wasn't reading the temperature of the room correctly. I'm waiting for my steak to be done to see if it works.

It took so long to read that I wasn't expecting it to get so hot that when I took it out of the steak, I got burnt... Anyways... My steak was rare but it read it at 152. The thing that came with it said that 145 is medium rare.

It stuck at 120 for a while when it was reading.

My conclusion is that I need to get yet another thermometer to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here