Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephcsews

Roasting Pan for Induction

stephcsews
15 years ago

Hi! I'm looking for a roasting pan that will work on my induction cooktop. I've found a few on-line, but they're all $200+ & I wasn't planning to spend that much. If that's all there is & I can be sure I'll be happy with a $200 pan, I'll spend it. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

"Does anyone have a recommendation?"

Yeah, switch to gas! (Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Is this for something large, like a turkey, or for smaller roasts, whole chickens, etc.?

If it's for smaller tasks, check your local restaurant supply store for steel hotel pans, a/k/a steam table pans. They're available in a wide range of sizes, they're cheap, and will most likely work on an induction hob (a magnet will stick to one, but not strongly). And, they're the overwhelming choice in real-world working kitchens, so they must like them for a reason...

• stephcsews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm looking for something that will hold a large turkey or a large prime rib. I used to use gas & I could put my roasting pan right on there out of the oven & make gravy or sauce & get up all of the brown bits in the pan. Since my pan won't work on my induction cooktop, I lose a lot of those nice brown bits because the pan usually isn't hot enough to deglaze it well enough. I'll check around for a restaurant supply. Thanks!

By the way, I was REALLY unhappy that I let my husband talk me into switching from gas to induction, but I will never, EVER go back! Except for having problems finding this one pan, it's been the greatest thing to happen in my kitchen!

• Fori
    15 years ago

Graniteware, LeCreuset, most Allclad...Macy's has a few cheap induction-capable non-stick turkey roasters now (a Martha Stewart and something even cheaper) but I didn't want non-stick. I currently have an old Graniteware knockoff (now THAT is cheap!) that has ridges on the bottom but still gets hot enough for gravy. I guess it'll do.

Smaller roasters for induction aren't too hard to find. But affordable turkey size ones can be tough--I can replace my cooktop with gas almost for the price of some of those!

• momj47
    15 years ago

I agree about graniteware, it should work fine on induction, and you can get fairly inexpensive pieces at WalMart, etc. I use mine like you do, making the gravy on the gas burners after I take out the turkey. My mother did it on her gas range, and my grandmother did it on her big old black cast iron stove.

• stephcsews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I didn't know that Graniteware would work.
    I've already wasted money in shipping on an AllClad pan. They said it would work, but when I received it, it cleared stated on the outside of the box that it wouldn't work with induction. I tried it anyway & it really didn't work. Really disappointing, especially for AllClad. I'm running into the same problem with other manufacturers - the roasting pans I've considered are part of induction-ready cookware lines & they say they work, but in reality the roasting pans are constructed differently & really don't work. I'll take a harder look at Graniteware for sure though.

• stephcsews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got the J.A. Henckels Classic Clad roasting pan & it works on induction. It seemed like a bargain at $100 & it's a very nice pan. I seriously looked at Graniteware, but all of the bottoms were ridged & I think I will prefer the flat bottom of the Henckels. Thanks for your help!

• Fori
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update! I'll check it out. My "Graniteware" has ridges but makes enough contact to heat up. I haven't actually tried cooking--I just threw it on the hob to see if it got hot.

If the J.A. H. isn't non stick I think I'll go for it....

• Fori
    15 years ago

That is exactly what I've been looking for! It'll make a massive lasagna, too.

Thanks again!