Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r0se_gw

Induction Cookware That Isn't $$$$$

r0se
13 years ago

There seems to be some good general info here, but the recommendations all look like more than I'd like to pay. Since my issue is kind of specific I started a new thread.

We just bought an induction range and need to replace a couple pans, so I decided to get my boyfriend some for Christmas (seeing as how he's the cook and all). There are a couple stipulations:

-He wants 2 (10" ish) frying pans, one non-stick, and the other just normal (not non stick). He wants the non-stick for things like eggs and pancakes and the other one for everything else I guess. He has a huge saute pan he's been cooking prety much every meal with since we moved in, haha.

-I live in Canada, so I need to buy from a Canadian retailer, or a website that will ship here.

-Trying to keep the cost down a little, like 270$ MAX including shipping (if necessary) for both. Mostly because he hates the idea of expensive cookware, but hey, it's Christmas. I would prefer not to use up that whole budget, however.

-it MUST be dishwasher safe or he will never use them.

Does not have to be specifically designed for induction, as long as it will work and do a decent job. All of the induction specific lines seem to be a lot more than I would like to spend.

I was looking at some All-Clad LTD 2 (both the non stick and stainless steel ones)and Le Creuset (Forged Hard Anodized and Stainless). Reviews on Amazon seem to be so-so on these, but it did look like they fit the parameters.

I was wondering whether anyone here had experience with these sets (experience on induction would be better!), or possibly some other suggestions. I'd prefer not to drop 100 bucks on a pan and then it have sub-par performance to, say, a $10 Ikea pan or something.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (11)

• leel
    13 years ago

Farberware Millenium makes a nice teflon fry pan that is induction ready & a reasonable price. You never want to spend a lot of money on a teflon pan because they need replacement as they wear. In terms of other pans, don't buy a set, unless you have no other pans AND you will use all the pans in the set. Better to buy individual pans that you will use & add to them as needed. No need to get spendy w/ All clad either. There are many brands that are equally as good and much less expensive. Look for rolled edges and (preferably) welded rather than bolted handles. If a pan attracts a magnet, it will work w/ induction. Additionally, pots & pans are not one size fits all; its very personal. Let him handle them & make the choice.

• lnhardin
    13 years ago

We got a few pieces of cookware from Ikea that work just fine on induction. VERY inexpensive. I'm not positive they are in Canada, but I would assume so since they are international.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

All Ikea web sites worldwide have the same information.
    Prices are different.

The FAVORIT Frying pan is both steel and aluminum, but the web site has a mistake:
    " Product description & measurements
    Main parts: Anodized aluminum, Coated with Teflon(R) Professional.
    Handle: Stainless steel
    " The mistake is in saying it is only aluminum. The pan alone.
    Elsewhere it says "Suitable for use on induction cooktop."
    The web site does not mention the steel in the base.

I sent Ikea an email and got a response:
    ".... Please note that the FAVORIT frying pan is made with an aluminum core and a stainless steel base plate (in contact with the cook top). The stainless steel base reacts with the induction cook top and transmits the heat to the aluminum. ...."

Maybe one day the Ikea web site will say the pan is part steel part aluminum.

2/
    Some Favorit cookware comes in a set. The price spread is 70%.
    Dollars have been close to parity for more than 24 months.

$170 . http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20149533
    $100 . http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20149533
    E110 . http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/20149533

3/
    Some Ikea 365+ cookware comes in a set. The price spread is 50%.
    Dollars have been close to parity for more than 24 months.

http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/30101168 is in France.
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/fr/catalog/products/30101168 is in Canada.
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30101168 also.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30101168 is in USA

4/
    I have a pot of Ikea 365+ on my induction cooktop, making chicken stock right now.

5/
    I also have Tramontina, a Brazilian make. Excellent ergonomics. The handles can act as clasps, e.g. you can get the pot top to clasp the pot sides and hold itself perched in mid air instead of taking up counter space somewhere.

6/
    I also have pricey All Clad. OK, ir's good. But it doesn't have great handles.

7/
    Lower all temperatures when you cook with induction. It's simply too efficient.

HTH

• r0se
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Appreciate the help so far, but I should have mentioned I would really, really like to stay away from Teflon coating. We owned a couple before we switched to induction and the coating was pretty much useless after about 2 months. So I don't think I will be buying it ever again.

I work in an appliance showroom and one of our manufacturer's sent us a Chantal enamel-on-steel pan to use on a live induction cooktop (which we don't have...) so I haven't been able to play with it. It looks and feels nice, but that's about all I can tell without cooking in it.
    Anyone have experience with these? Reviews I have been reading say they aren't very good for making eggs, which is one of the main reasons he wants a new frying pan.

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

Cast iron works great on induction; if you're willing to get a skillet well seasoned (there are lots of threads on how to do this) that's nearly as nonstick as Teflon, and it's quite inexpensive. Enameled cast iron (Le Creuset, Staub and their imitators) also work well, but it's much more expensive than the raw cast iron.

My Fagor pressure cookers worked great on induction. So does Kuhn Rikon, but they're not cheap.

Consumer Reports recently rated Costco's Kirkland stainless as being a good buy. I've never used it, but it claims that it is induction capable. And if you google 'costco Kirkland stainless induction" you get at least one reviewer who enthusiastically recommended a set similar to this set for induction use.

Bear in mind that the energy produced by an induction hob is related to the amount of iron molecules in the pan. A pan with just a little amount of stainless steel over a big slab or disc or copper or aluminum will have great performance over a gas or standard electric hob, but may not react quite as well on induction.

Here is a link that might be useful: costco stainless

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

whoops, the link I posted seems to have changed.

Try googling 'Costco' then at their site search for cookware; the Kirkland Stainless is what you're looking for.

• jaxo
    13 years ago

I understand any cookware that a magnet sticks to will work fine for induction, but to be "ideal" it would also have a very smooth and very flat bottom for to prevent scratches and for maximum contact for efficiency.

What are some not-highend cookware that fits the ideal of not likely to scratch the induction cooktop and also a very flat bottom.

• leel
    13 years ago

Sitram Profisserie fits the bill, but it must be their Profisserie line, because the Catering line isn't magnetic. I've had both; Sitram makes a quality product.

• jaxo
    13 years ago

I found a couple lines of moderate to lower priced induction cookware.
    Circulon Infinite looks great. It's induction ready, nonstick and dishwasher safe
    Tramontina stainless sets looks good too. It's lower priced and available at Walmart (online-only), induction ready and dishwasher safe, but non nonstick.
    However, I found you can use stainless without sticking, even for eggs with the right technique. Spend an hour playing around with it to learn how to do it an you could be set for life.
    Check the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use stainless without food sticking

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Re scratching of the induction cooktop, the Miele demonstrator lady told me that a big producer of scratches are salt and sugar which are shaken over pots sitting on the top-and then the salt/sugar get dragged under a pot oops scratch

• klaborde_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I started purchasing my LTD2 Cookware in January 2011.
    I have about $3000 investment and very happy with them with one exception. My Maytag Stove is one of the newer models with the Cast Iron Burners that cover the whole top with 5 burners. All the bottoms of my LTD2's are scratching. I put them in the dishwasher, and they come out as new, but the bottoms are looking awful. I am beginning to think the Anodized exterior was a mistake.
    The insides are both non stick, and stainless, and they shine like a mirror. The stainless covers look like the day I purchased them. Its just those darn bottoms !

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES