Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_950

Other Brands of Enameled Cast Iron?

ben_950
18 years ago

Wow. I've only been visiting this forum for a few days, and can't believe the enthusiasm for enameled cast iron. Every other thread seams to be about le Creuset or Staub.

I was wondering your thoughts on a couple other brands I've seen, Olive & Thyme and Well Equipped Kitchen. TJ's and Marshalls carry both these from time to time, and the price is considerably less than the "Big Boys." Is there really a noticeable difference? Or is the name what you're paying for?

Just wondering,

Ben

Comments (92)

• honey_grower
    17 years ago

Martha Stewart has a cast iron 5-qt w/glass lid $25 and also a 5-qt cast iron w/enamel w/cast iron lid $50 - is it worth the difference in price to get the enamel inside and the cast iron lid?

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Target sells Lodge enameled cast iron. I bought the 6 qt and I love it. Their selections change all the time - as of now they are only selling 3 qt blue or reds. I paid $50 plus shipping. for mine. As we speak I'm braising short ribs in it!

• maywoodw
    17 years ago

$50 for a 6qt enameled Lodge - good deal! The local TJMaxx had some beige oval "well equipped kitchen" ovens - about 5qts +- for $36. The brown LCs are being discontinued and can be had at some savings at the LC stores. As for me, I picked up a 5qt Innova for $29 from the same TJMaxx store.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

By the brown Le Creuset, do you mean the new Chestnut color? They just introduced that a few months ago!!! I don't think the person doing the colors for Le Creuset is doing a very good job. I'm not crazy about the Dune or the Chestnut, or their new turquoise Carribean color. Mario Batali just brought out a Chianti color that's stunning. A beautiful brick red. Le Creuset should do a beautifully shaded brick red, like a deep Adobe color, with a touch or rose.

• southernorchidlover
    17 years ago

Last week, the Home Depot web site was selling the chestnut LeCreuset at quite a discounted price.

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

More enameled cast iron choices -- saw Calphalon at BBB & the covered pots have "raised dots" under their lids similar to Staub. More options. Not exactly cheap but less than some brands. Anyone tried these yet?

Nice to have choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calphalon enameled cast iron

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I just noticed that Calphalon at BBB, too. Would have posted, but you beat me to it! I must say, though, I agree with Gardenlad about those raised dots: not fun to clean them when I use my Lodge fryer (not enameled--just cast iron).

• jackidr
    17 years ago

I saw the Calphalon at BBB too. All my enameled cast iron are the brands found at Marshalls/TJMaxx/HomeGoods. None of them have the raised dots. How exactly do they work? All the food that I cook stays moist without the dots. Now, I wonder how long it will take for the Calphalon to start showing up at Marshalls/TJMaxx/HomeGoods? It didn't take the Calphalon One long, so I'm guessing these will be there soon.

• southernorchidlover
    17 years ago

I found a Target Chefmate enameled casserole pot last week. I am one happy young lady! Thanks to all for your help. This forum is great!

Now what to prepare first! :)

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

Blondelle,
    Have you tried that satin black version of LC? How high a flame can you use? Do you think it would scratch if shaken and moved over the grid? I'm curious because I use my LC on my small (low BTU) cooktop because I use it with a low flame, but then I never use it to saute or fry.

• andreagb
    17 years ago

Southernorchidlover, where, oh where, did you find that Target Chefmate pot? I missed it the first time they had it in stock and have been looking everywhere since. Deeply appreciative of any and all help!

• blondelle
    17 years ago

I wound up selling the Satin Black. Actually I'm changing everything over to Staub, I like everything about it more than Le Creuset!

• southernorchidlover
    17 years ago

andreagb,

I went to Target to check out canisters and glanced over to the spot where they are usually displayed.

There it was.

My local Target only stocks one at a time. Once it's gone, you don't see another one for three or so months.

-Valencia

• marys1000
    17 years ago

I'm wondering about what I saw somewhere (can't remember) that some Le Creuset is made in Taiwan and some in France.
    For me part of the draw is that is made in France - I need to replace a 20 year old pot with handle and want to buy LC that is made in France - how do I make sure?
    Enamel is desireable to some people because of its inertness - I don't particularly trust the Tawain and Chinese versions as much. What goes into their enamel? How is it fired? etc.

• marys1000
    17 years ago

Well I answered my own question by call LC's hotline.
    Their enamled cast iron is made in France but the stoneware and enameled steel is made in Thailand.

• mccall
    17 years ago

Just found out that Mario Bettali enameled cookware is made by COPCO. At least according to Wakiipedia.

• qwerty_2007
    16 years ago

I came across this thread because one of these posts makes reference to an online vendor at www.kitchenniche.ca

I had a bad experience using that vendor. My experience:

They delayed shipping my purchase, without notifying me, and did not respond to email communication asking for an explanation. An item which was supposed to ship in 24 hours, and take 3-6 days to arrive, took a month and a half. According to the tracking record, the item only actually shipped after I initiated action through Paypal. Neither of my two emails to this vendor received a response.

FYI.

• weeks_liz_gmail_com
    16 years ago

Great thread - I bought an Olive and Thyme yesterday at Marshalls, noticed the "made in china" label after I got home and with all the recalls lately about lead-painted toys and melamine-laced grains, i got a little concerned.

I've purchased a number of Le Creuset ovens as gifts, but have never been able to part with the money on my own behalf. The O&T was half the price with the same heft, and i liked the iron handle as opposed to heat resistant plastic, so I just couldn't resist.

Anyway, I went i-hunting just to see if there were any recalls, and I find a handful of nice reviews. Thanks everyone, and happy cooking!

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Lodge sells enameled cast iron. Try Amazon. They have two lines - Liberty (more expensive) and Colors (less expensive - $50 for a six quart, through Amazon Target).

• plumfield
    16 years ago

I bought Staub because of the non-reactive surface and because Staub's all-matte-black option and rich colors appealed to me.

I was so disappointed when both a 1-year used Staub pot AND my brand-spanking-new Basil Coq au Vin failed the "baking soda and water" test for leaching metals.

Aside from being so beautiful and sturdy, I think most of us justify the cost of this product because we believe it will be a healthier option than teflon, aluminum, and stainless that leaches nickel and chromium.

If health concerns are an issue for you, I strongly suggest you test whether or not metals are leaching off of the enamel, and what they are....and even if it tests safe, it might be a good idea to test periodically.

If for one am very interested in hearing results from others, since my Staub has failed. I purchased both pieces from Sur La Table. I understand that some of the higher end cookware companies farm out some of their manufacturing to China and sell it at lower prices, btw, but I was under the impression that I was purchasing products made in Europe.

• wngfn1996
    16 years ago

I am new to this forum. I would like to know about the last statement about the baking soda test. I today purchased two dutch ovens by Descoware. A two quart and a five quart. The small one is pretty much unused but the larger one was diffentately more used. It has some scratching on the bottom but I don't think it has gone thru the enameling. Is this something I should worry about. TIA Jeanne

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

The "baking soda test" is used by unscrupulous snake-oil salesman in order to scare you, make you think there's something wrong with your existing cookware, and to make a big sale off suckers.

Don't fall for it.

• plumfield
    16 years ago

How I did the baking soda test: I read somewhere to use 3 T baking soda to 1 c water, but because I was low on baking soda the day I did this, I just used 1 T baking soda to 1 c water...heated it to a boil for a few minutes in a variety of pans, tasted it and compared each one to a control batch that hasn't been heated.

Here's what I know so far: the taste was AWFUL, as I mentioned above. Metallic and nasty.

So, the results are that there is a bad, metallic flavor. In order to verify which, if any, metals come off of cookware, I plan on doing some testing to see what metals, if any, are in the water I use, (and hopefully to find some pure water from my home water filter to work with)the control baking soda solution, and then in the solutions I test in the pans. I plan to use different levels of alkalinity and acidity and plain water. I also plan to take different foods of different levels of acidity and alkalinity, cook those with some water that can be tested later. Tomato sauce will be a definite one to try, but I'll have to dilute the results enough to see a visible color change during testing, and see what that yields. I am told, but do not know for sure, that some foods will react, but perhaps that those foods with a fairly neutral pH should not react. And I'll need to do a few tests at different points in time, like before the boiling point is reached. All of these tests need to be repeated on a variety of cookware -- different types, different degrees of use/misuse, etc. And I will be somewhat limited by the test kits I use. It will be an expensive project, even getting the testing supplies in bulk. Hopefully, at the end of it, I'll know under what conditions any given type of pan is likely to release a substance that is toxic.

• cjmzzz
    16 years ago

At an Estate Sale today I purchased a beautiful PAUL BOCUSE blue enameled oval cast iron dutch oven with self basting lid. The name PAUL BOCUSE is emobossed on the lid and it is made by Nomar in France. I can't find another one like it. Does anyone know when it may have been made and if it was a limited edition? I wish to sell it on Ebay but I would like to know more about it first. Thank you!

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

The baking soda test is nothing more than a sales gimmick designed to make the unwary consumer believe that something is wrong with their cookware. Don't fall for it.
    A common demonstration by cookware hustlers is to heat baking soda and water in various pots, including the brand being sold. Often cheap aluminum pots are used for the demonstration. When the customer tastes the water from the other pots in the demonstration, a strong metallic taste is noticed. The electrolytes contained in the baking soda solution grossly amplify the metallic taste. On the other hand, the water solution from the demonstration pot simply tastes like baking soda.

This is a strong selling point for the hustler's brand. However, this is absolute non-sense as it pertains to real life. It has no scientific basis whatsoever and it's a totally meaningless test. Who in the world cooks with strong alkaline solutions??

Baking soda in water is highly alkaline (high pH) and readily reacts with aluminum to create the metallic taste in pots that contain that metal. It also reacts somewhat in iron pots, but it does not react with NEW stainless steel......important that you notice I said NEW STAINLESS. SCRATCHED stainless will usually fail this test too.

Sometimes the salesman will ask the customers to include their own stainless steel pots in the test. When stainless steel has been USED and scoured with steel wool or another metallic pad, the SCRATCHES allow nickel to leach into the baking soda solution. This implies to the unwary that the brand for sale is superior to other stainless steel pots.....which is absolute non-sense. Likewise, scratched Enamelware will allow traces of iron to leach into the soda solution giving it a metallic taste.

Although this demonstration is dramatic, keep in mind that it is merely a sales tool....a clever one at that. 100% of the foods that we prepare in our cookware IS NOT as highly alkaline as baking soda, and seldom--if ever--would you cook with any baking soda at all. On the contrary most of the foods we cook in our cookware are slightly acidic (lower pH) and not alkaline. That's not to say stainless steel is not a superior metal to use in some applications, just don't pay a premium for it and don't throw out perfectly good cookware because of this hyper non-sense.

Dan

• itzterri
    16 years ago

OK.......here's my question. Would someone post some recipes that they use in their enameled cast iron cookware? I've just gotten a new one called Chantal-the Talaver Collection and I'm not sure how to cook in it.

Thanks!

• vivibear
    16 years ago

i also bought the well equipped kitchen pot from tj maxx.
    my inside bottom has got a quarter sized place where the enamel has come off. is there a way to fix this or is it safe to cook in like this? i love this pot. i fry, saute, bake, and stew etc in it. until this happened all that had gone wrong is the bottom had gotten a little discolored.
    any help?

• marys1000
    16 years ago

You cook in it like you would anything else. Well its not non-stick so you should use a little oil or whatever you would normally do in a non "teflon" pan.

• jillnjk
    16 years ago

I purchased several pieces of le creuset cookware. I have been very happy with this cookware. I recently was at a cooking demonstration for SaladMaster. As part of the demo they performed a baking soda test that many of you have mentioned. They put 1 TBS. of baking soda in various pans with water and boiled the mixture for about 5 minutes. The taste of this from each of the pans except for the SaladMaster was horrible. I believe the point of this test was to create a highly acidic environment to show that chemicals were leaching from the pans into our food. I perfomed the test when I got home on the le creuset and also on an all clad. The taste was just as horrible as the others. I called le creuset to find out the make-up of the enamel in the pans. It is made of nitrate, potash, agile, aluminate (is that aluminum?), bentonite, and clay. Does anyone know about these compounds? Does anyone know if the baking soda test is an accurate test for determining what might be leaching into our foods? And if so does anyone know of other cookware that performs well with this test. Your thoughts? Thank you so much for your input.

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

The attached link will give you all of the specific details of that ridiculous Baking Soda Test. Don't fall for it......it is a totally meaningless test designed to make you believe that there is something wrong with your cookware. It is utter non-sense and a tactic certain MLM cookware hustlers use to deceive you into buying their expensive cookware.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: The Ridiculous Baking Soda Test

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

If you search this forum and other search engines (e.g. Google), you'll find plenty of evidence that the Baking Soda Test is a bogus experiment to fool people into buying SaladMaster. Don't believe the hype.

• jillnjk
    16 years ago

I am sorry if this post comes up more than once but I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I purchased several pieces of Le Creuset about a year ago. I really like this cookware. I was, however at a cooking demonstration a couple of weeks ago for SaladMaster. As part of this demo they performed a baking soda test that some of you have mentioned. As part of this they put 1 TBS. of baking soda in various pans with water and boiled for about 5 minutes. We tasted the substances from the pans and all but the SaladMaster pan tasted terrible. I believe the purpose of this test was to created a highly acidic environment and show that chemicals are leaching from traditional cookware into our food. Does anyone know if this test is accurate? I perfomed the test when I got home on my le creuset and all-clad pans and they all tasted as horrible as the other test pans. I called Le creuset and found out the make-up of the enamel. If the test is accurate then what other cookware stands up to this test. Does anyone have information about this? Thanks so much for your help.

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

NO, THE TEST IS BOGUS!

Please read the preceding posts, do some independent searching, and reach the conclusion that the rest of us have: SaladMaster is a waste of money, and the Baking Soda Test is a sham.

Sorry, I'm sick, and now I'm going to bed...

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

P.S. I also wanted to say: Enjoy your Le Creuset without worry. You've made a fine purchase. (And there's nothing wrong with your All-Clad, either.)

• jillnjk
    16 years ago

Thank you for your assurances about the le creuset. I really do want to understand this better. I have a family member dealing with Parkinson's and since it has some link to metal toxicity I am trying to do my best to minimize the exposure. So as I understand it the baking soda test is accurate in that if you detect the foul taste it is some reactivity from some metals in the pan. The bogus part is that it is creating an environment that is not normal. However, doesn't this mean that even tho we might not normally detect those tastes that if a pan reacts to the baking soda test then there are at least minute amounts of those metals leaching into our foods. But also does that mean that the pans that don't react to the baking soda test are then safe?? So then doesn't it make sense that what we really need to figure out is what materials the pans are made of so if it is leaching then those materials are not toxic? I really appreciate anyone's help with this. I have exhausted what I can find on the internet. As I said I did find the materials in the enamel of le creuset are: nitrate, potash, agile, aluminate, bentonite and clay. Can anyone help me with this. Thank you so much!!

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

"I have a family member dealing with Parkinson's and since it has some link to metal toxicity I am trying to do my best to minimize the exposure."

What specific toxic metal are you concerned with that causes Parkinson's? You are exposed to many metals in everyday life besides what little amount might come from any cookware source......so what metal are you trying to avoid?

Dan

• jillnjk
    16 years ago

I guess specifically any metals that are known to be toxins. For instance, chromium is found in stainless steel but is actually something people need. Whereas, nickel is also in stainless steel and is considered a toxin. I think the first step would be to find out exactly what materials are used for the cookware and then to decide to what level they are corrosive and leaching. I know some people stated trying to do more conclusive testing but I didn't see any follow up on that. Thanks again for your help.

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Many common everyday compounds can become toxic if large amounts are ingested. Salt, alcohol, or even plain ole water can kill you if you ingest too much over a short period of time. There are several factors that determine whether or not a given metal is toxic: 1) the physical state of the metal 2) the valence state of that metal (i.e. hexavalent chromium is quite toxic and carcinogenic while trivalent chromium is not) 3) the amount of metal that is consumed and 4) the time period over which the metal was consumed. It is the combined interaction of these four factors that determines toxicity to humans.

Your enameled cast iron and stainless steel pans will not release any toxic amount of any metal when used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Again, your greatest exposure to metals comes from sources other than your cookware.....and most of that exposure is harmless and absolutely necessary for life itself.

Dan

• sheellah_aol_com
    16 years ago

The most inert cookware you can use is glass. Le Creuset and other enamel pans are basically coated with glass. Porcelain enamel fuses to the cast iron base metal to become a glass like substance. I wouldn't worry about Le Creuset or any other cast iron enamel pot from a reputable manufacturer leaching anything that might be harmful.

• chefsresource
    16 years ago

A few misconceptions in the thread.

Rachael Ray cast iron is made in China. Staub doesn't make the Rachael Ray cast iron, they only produce in France. Yes it looks like it a bit, but I've seen other knockoffs from China that directly copied Staub's design.

Le Creuset cast iron is also made in France. None of it is made in China.

Le Creuset stoneware is made in Thailand, but not the cast iron.

Mario Batali's is by Copco, made in China. Unless otherwise stated, virtually any enameled cast iron product is made in China.

• nwesterner
    16 years ago

chefsresource,

Would you be concerned with enameled cast iron products made in China? Or do you think the bonding/fusion process seals safely enough for cooking?

I ask because I have some Le Creuset but also the red enameled dutch oven from Target made in China. And what about Le Creuset stoneware from Thailand? Thanks

• chefsresource
    16 years ago

re: concerned with China cast iron? Concerned is a strong word. There are some decent brands made in China, Mario Batali's would be an example.

Some I see are pretty terrible, pretty poor quality control. It's not like they won't work, but I wouldn't trust them to last long. If I was concerned for safety reasons about any made in China, I'd never carry it.

A nice enameled cast iron pan lasts virtually forever, it's an investment. The best brands have a lifetime guarantee which is convenient (and hopefully never needed). Unless you drop the pan and it shatters, it should last many many years.

I haven't seen the Target dutch oven you mention, so I can't comment on it. LC stoneware is very durable and sturdy, I've had some for years now (I've had some Emile Henry pieces for 15+ years).

• marys1000
    16 years ago

I'll just put in my Le Creuset experience for future searcher/readers.
    Bought a set 30 years ago; Large Dutch Oven, Small/Med Dutch Oven, Medium soup pan, small soup pan, both with the wooden handles, med and small fry pan. Great stuff, love it and used reliably for many years...fast forward
    I burnt up the med soup pan (and btw the wooden handles were never a problem since I dont put things in the oven and they stayed fine over the years) making sugar water. The bottom had become a little rough over the years and so could not be salvaged - sent it in and got back one of the new all metal sauce pans.
    I liked the size and weight and shape and handle of my OLD pan better, plus for a sauce pan this seems to get a ring of hot spot on the bottom (I do cook on higher heat than I should or maybe its my elec stove?) anyway this is heavier, much longer handle, don't like or use it as much just due to the shape/weight issue. Then I do the same thing with the small soup pan. Send it in, replacement comes with the new black phrenolic handle, no big deal but they've changed the shape and size, its narrower at the bottom and taller and weighs more. I liked my old one better.
    So while I still think Le Creuset is the best enameled cookware, and perhaps just plain the best cookware with the no kidding greatest lifetime guarentee (I put in a letter saying I ruined it and that I'd be happy to buy a discounted replacement), I don't like their revamped shape and style of their soup/saucier pots. I don't know why they just didn't change the handles from wood to the black ovenproof stuff.
    If I could figure out how to make my old Paypal acct work I think I'd try buying the old style on eBay.
    (But you never know what people cooked in them and that creeps me out a little:)

• chefsresource
    16 years ago

A FYI for those looking for cast iron cookware... prices are going up significantly.

Staub is changing their pricing to 3 tiers. A basic, a mid and a premium for their Majolique colors, they cost a lot more to make with a white layer of enamel then the colored layer. In other words:
    Matte Black and graphite will be one price (mid)
    Core: pimento red, royal blue and yellow- lowest
    Majoliques (their best colors really) - grenadine red, basil green and titanium (brand new) - highest.
    The prices go up April 1st. A 5 quart will range from $200 to $220.

Mario Batali/Copco had an increase 1/1/08 and will have another significant increase mid-year.. a first for them. Cost of materials, fuel, a weak dollar are all driving up costs.

Le Creuset already had their price increase for the year.

I'm seeing more price increases this year from vendors than I think any other year.

• blondelle
    15 years ago

Chefsresource, you seem to know quite a bit about enameled cookware. Have you seen the new Staub line called the Premium line. What's up with that? It sure doesn't look more premium! Is Staub replacing all their cookware with this new line? It looks like a low end line, but the prices are the same as the current, nicer looking cookware.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=staub+premium&x=7&y=11

As thoughts on Staub vs. Le Creuset. I don't see any statements on Staub's site as to the lead or cadmium content of their cookware. Which do you prefer of the two? I do prefer the lighter interior, but love the look of the Staub, but not the heavier weight. I think the Staub interior will hold up better, but the dark interior is also dreary.

• chefsresource
    15 years ago

I do know a lot about enameled cast iron, it's one of our strongest suits, especially with Le Creuset and Staub.

As far as the "premium" goes? I've never seen it before. I didn't even see it in the latest Staub French catalog that has more in it than is exported to the U.S.

Frankly, I don't like the looks at all, it does look like cheaper lines. I am amused by the usually ships in 2-3 months timeframe. Are they shipping orders direct from France by boat?

• happyday
    13 years ago

I found a blue enameled Dutch Oven at a sale. White/cream enamel inside. The only mark on it is a large IQ stamped into the base, which is also enameled. The I is about twice as tall as the capital Q that follows.

I've been googling all day trying to identify the maker on the pot. Does anyone know?

• ksokiegonnab
    13 years ago

Just purchased a Tramontina brand Dutch oven (the one recommended by America's test kitchens). When washing it, prior to use, I noticed several tiny bubbles in the interior finish. Should I return it for replacement, or are small imperfections to be expected?

• djg1
    13 years ago

Unable to speak to other brands -- 2 pieces of LC, which were my mom's (20 years old? 30?) -- a small sauce pan/butter warmer and a casserole, both well suited to their purposes and holding up great. Only a couple of months or so with my Staub 12" skillet, which is hands down the best pan for searing and finishing steaks that I've ever used. Beautiful.

The staub was "on sale" for something like 99 bucks at WS. It seems to be one of those pieces that's perpetually on sale. It's worth looking for the values on key pieces.

• marys1000
    11 years ago

This is a really old thread and maybe there are newer more current ones that would be better suited but I thought I'd add to this that
    AGA - the UK company that sells those cast iron ranges also has a line of UK made enameled cast iron and stainless steel