Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petaloid

Small food processor for Mom

petaloid
18 years ago

I have a small Black & Decker "Shortcut" food processor that I like and use often.

My mother wants one too, but mine is an old model and I can't find a new one that's the same.

Can anyone recommend a good, small-sized food processor?

Comments (11)

• triciae
    18 years ago

Both Kitchaid & Cuisinart make mini-processors and are good quality. I believe they are under $50.

• lizql
    18 years ago

I have a Procter Silex that I have had for years. Maybe they don't make it either.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I've had two Cuisinart mini processors. They work great, but the plastic housing on the blade starts to crack after a period of time. A replacement is $14, while a new processor only costs about $30. That's why I bought a second machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart Mini Prep

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Don't know if Krups still makes their MiniPro chopper, but mine is still going strong after 12 years or more. I used it yesterday to whizz some Fire Roasted tomatoes for chili.

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Costco has a new Braun stick blender that has a big blade and bowl attachment that looked pretty good and not too expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: MR5000

• petaloid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the good information. Mom wants something that will shred and slice as well as mix -- I will check out your suggested brands.

Jessica, thanks for the heads-up on the stick blender. That is something else my mother wants. I told her my Moulinex "Turbo" is hard to use for small batches because the blade sits up so high in the housing. The Braun might fit the bill and I will look for it at Costco.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

You'll need something larger than a mini to slice and shred.

I have the 5-cup KitchenAid, which also comes with a smaller bowl. Might be more along the line of what you need.

It's not too heavy to move and doesn't take up much counter space.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid KFP350

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Petaloid, If you decide to buy the Braun stick blender make sure you get one like Jessica posted. All stick blenders are not recreated equal. The 200 or 250 watt stick blenders are not nearly as good as the 400 or higher watt. I use the little processor bowl that came with mine all of the time.

Like Cindy I have had a couple of the mini Cuisinart processors and have had the same problem. Last one I bought was the small kitchenaid and I think it does a better job than the mini Cuisinart did and I've had it for a while now and no cracks so far.

Ann

• blackmountaingal
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I happen to have a brand new in box Black & Decker Shortcut
    Food Processor that I am willing to sell. Let me know
    if you are interested. Regards, Linda

• petaloid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

blackmountaingal -- please send me your e-mail address when you get a chance (link on My Page).

• dreamgarden
    18 years ago

Cuisinart offers a two for the price of one blender/food processor. It is big enough for a two person household. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for $79.00 (after using a 20% off coupon).