Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow cooker concerns............

Posted by Joyce58 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 15:54

Hi..I just got a slow cooker, having been inspired by reading Zonya Foco's "Lickety Split Meals" cookbook.
She adds frozen food items directly to the pot BUT in the directions that came with the slow cooker, it says "DO NOT put frozen articles inside the porcelain pot, nor when appliance is too hot".....Any comments?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow cooker concerns............

I've put frozen ground beef or frozen foods like manicotti in a room-temperature slow cooker. They cooked just fine. I don't take chances with ground beef any more (at the time I was fresh out of college, but not too smart in the kitchen), but frozen manicotti & sauce in the slow cooker is a good thing if you have to spend an afternoon at kid's ball games & you want dinner ready when you come home.

o

Hmm...I've put in frozen food for years, always before it's turned on. Chicken is what I do in it the most.
What's the problem with ground beef? Does it allow the bacteria to breed in the lower cooking temp.?

o

I think with all the e. coli & ground beef concerns these days, slow cooker mfrs., food scientists, & the beef industry prefer to err on the side of caution and advise people to "properly thaw" the ground beef first. Ditto the poultry with regard to salmonella.

o

I think today's bugs are stronger than Grandma's.

o

I was listening to a report on NPR several years ago about an e. coli outbreak at the time. The report said that today's e. coli is about as genetically similar to earlier e. coli as a human being is to a flea. Much more potent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here