Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

The Care and Keeping of Glass Pot and Pan Lids:What Can I Expect?

cupofkindness
17 years ago

I am in the process of acquiring Calphalon Tri Ply cookware, replacing 18 year old Farberware. Glass lids are new to me. I need advice on cleaning, storing, and the general treatment of glass lids both while they are being used and in the cabinet. I have a two year old glass cooktop and an electric oven.

Does the care of these lids vary depending on the temperature of the pot or pan it is covering? And what about dropping these lids? According to Calphalon, they are tempered glass, and I've heard that they are resistant to breakage. Have you ever broken a lid? How did it happen and was the breakage dangerous? Will sudden/extreme temperature shifts crack the lids?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Comments (8)

• canvir
    17 years ago

I have a chicken fryer and a sauce pan with glass lids and treat them just like my stainless ones. Put them in the dishwasher, store them all together etc.

I have not had a problem.

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Canvir, thanks for your reply! I used my Calphalon tri ply pans for the first time last night and noticed that the lids retain a minute amount of water under the handle where the handle attaches to the glass, and also around the stainless rim, between the glass and the rim. Will this be a problem?

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I'm happy to report after my second meal using tri ply that I can definitely see what is happening in the pot/pan, even though there is a lot of moisture on the interior of the lid. Watching your food cook through the lid is almost like having color TV for the first time. It's wonderful.

• nwesterner
    17 years ago

If you do not want any added moisture in what you are cooking, but still want/need to use a lid, just offset it somewhat while cooking---either for the full time or just temporarily. That allows some of the moisture to evaporate although some does drop back onto the food. The moisture is the only negative at times for me using glass lids or non-venting metal lids, but there are dishes that it actually helps.

I cooked with cast iron for many, many years and used glass lids with them. I broke some, but normally because I was the one at fault, not the lid. I have Calphalon tri-ply plus some other glass lids and use them or metal lids as needed. Sometimes the pans allow me to interchange lids, but not always.

As for storing, for many years I either used my oven drawer or stored them upside down on the pan they fit. I now have a drawer dedicated to lids and they are fine in there with the metal ones.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Glass lids do NOT add moisture to a dish....they simply do not allow it to boil off.
    Even a lid with a vent hole allows a lot of condensation to drip back into the pan.
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Linda, you really believe that moisture condenses on glass more than metal?

I tend to doubt it. The only difference is you can see what's happening with the glass.

Nwesterner: One of the main reasons for putting a cover on a pot in the first place is to retain moisture. Indeed, that's probably why a cover is used more than 90% of the time. As Linda notes, covers to not add moisture, they merely keep it from escaping.

• slbrooks
    12 years ago

I have glass lids for Guardian ware that I recently purchased,, two of the lids have a opaque film on the inside of the lids I have tried CLR thinking it might be a hard water build up to no avail. I have used the dishwasher no change