Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Care and Keeping of Glass Pot and Pan Lids:What Can I Expect?

Posted by cupofkindness (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 15:25

I am in the process of acquiring Calphalon Tri Ply cookware, replacing 18 year old Farberware. Glass lids are new to me. I need advice on cleaning, storing, and the general treatment of glass lids both while they are being used and in the cabinet. I have a two year old glass cooktop and an electric oven.

Does the care of these lids vary depending on the temperature of the pot or pan it is covering? And what about dropping these lids? According to Calphalon, they are tempered glass, and I've heard that they are resistant to breakage. Have you ever broken a lid? How did it happen and was the breakage dangerous? Will sudden/extreme temperature shifts crack the lids?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Care and Keeping of Glass Pot and Pan Lids:What Can I Exp

I have a chicken fryer and a sauce pan with glass lids and treat them just like my stainless ones. Put them in the dishwasher, store them all together etc.

I have not had a problem.

o

Canvir, thanks for your reply! I used my Calphalon tri ply pans for the first time last night and noticed that the lids retain a minute amount of water under the handle where the handle attaches to the glass, and also around the stainless rim, between the glass and the rim. Will this be a problem?

o

Well, I'm happy to report after my second meal using tri ply that I can definitely see what is happening in the pot/pan, even though there is a lot of moisture on the interior of the lid. Watching your food cook through the lid is almost like having color TV for the first time. It's wonderful.

o

If you do not want any added moisture in what you are cooking, but still want/need to use a lid, just offset it somewhat while cooking---either for the full time or just temporarily. That allows some of the moisture to evaporate although some does drop back onto the food. The moisture is the only negative at times for me using glass lids or non-venting metal lids, but there are dishes that it actually helps.

I cooked with cast iron for many, many years and used glass lids with them. I broke some, but normally because I was the one at fault, not the lid. I have Calphalon tri-ply plus some other glass lids and use them or metal lids as needed. Sometimes the pans allow me to interchange lids, but not always.

As for storing, for many years I either used my oven drawer or stored them upside down on the pan they fit. I now have a drawer dedicated to lids and they are fine in there with the metal ones.

o

Glass lids do NOT add moisture to a dish....they simply do not allow it to boil off.
Even a lid with a vent hole allows a lot of condensation to drip back into the pan.
Linda C

o

Linda, you really believe that moisture condenses on glass more than metal?

I tend to doubt it. The only difference is you can see what's happening with the glass.

Nwesterner: One of the main reasons for putting a cover on a pot in the first place is to retain moisture. Indeed, that's probably why a cover is used more than 90% of the time. As Linda notes, covers to not add moisture, they merely keep it from escaping.

o

I have glass lids for Guardian ware that I recently purchased,, two of the lids have a opaque film on the inside of the lids I have tried CLR thinking it might be a hard water build up to no avail. I have used the dishwasher no change < have asked the people I bought them from they have no idea how it got there since they are antique dealers , I have tried Bo Nami and a brillo pad still no luck anyone have any ideas about how it got that way and/or how to clean the lids? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

o

My wife bought a Calphalon set few years ago. She loves them. A few days ago, I fumbled the lid and it dropped to the tile floor. The glass survived, but it separated from the stainless steel rim. If you look at it, you'll see that the rim encircles and encloses the glass portion, so that the glass cannot pop out of the steel rim -- unless you drop it on a tile floor, apparently. It was also apparent that no amount of forcing was going to squeeze the glass back into the rim.

But if you know the secret, it's an easy fix, with no forcing required:
1) Put the glass in the freezer for a few hours.
2) Heat the rim. I just waved it over a gas stovetop burner for about 30 seconds.
3) Now, quickly, lay the rim on a hard surface, and drop the frigid glass into it.

With the rim expanded, and the glass contracted, they fit together easily. The cold glass will cool the rim almost instantaneously, and they're wedded together once again.

Apparently this is not a common problem -- I found no references to it via a Google search -- and replacement lids are available, but this is a good trick to know. I suspect this will work for all such lids, but have only tested it on our Calphalon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here