Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Le creuset french oven- a second

Posted by cooperbailey (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 14:45

I picked up a 5 1/2 qt cast iron french oven at Home Goods.( for $130) Ok I grabbed it so quick my hands were a blur. It is marked as a second. I looked it over very carefully and the enamel inside looks and feels good.The enamel outside looks fine outside too.There are a couple of dull rough spots on the lid. The knob is not le creuset-someone put a chantel knob on it- probably in the store. I know I can buy a new knob for about $10 .
My question is this- the rim of the pot is not glazed but cast iron as is the part on the lid that meets the rim. I am thinking that this is supposed to be this way but I am not familiar enough with the pot to know.What do you all think? still a good pot? Is this a keeper? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Le creuset french oven- a second

You're correct, that is the way it's supposed to be.

o

Thanks, you saved me a long trip to look at one in a store.

o

I also picked up a "second" from HG. Mine is a 6-3/4 qt oval in red and it was a STEAL at $69.99. Silly me had to CONVINCE myself to buy it.

The only flaw I've found is how the paint fades up from darker to ligher color. It's not as smoothly integrated as other pieces. Sometimes the thing that makes it a "second" is not such a big deal.

o

cooperbailey--enjoy that pot! I just used mine for the first time yeserday. It is amazing. I have the 5 qt. and would like to find the 3.5 at HomeGoods--you have given me hope that it will show up there. I bought mine with a multiple coupon deal at a dept. store and paid $117 so am quite happy and am sure you will be too. It cooks very hot--and stays hot. Made black bean soup. H was pleased at how easy it was to clean.

o

Noodles- used my LC tonight and made zucchini soup. It was tasty. It was so much more pleasant to use than my 30 yr old warped revereware stock pot.

o

cooperbailey-too funny! that is the same warped reverware and even was 30--actually 38 years old!! I think the joy of cooking with LC and All-Clad is amazing. I just brought home a stainless All Clad wok from HG's. I have a built in 2500 btu wok in my stove (I'm a veggie).

o

"The only flaw I've found is how the paint fades up from darker to ligher color."

Sometimes it's called a 'gradient' finish and done on purpose (see link below) ;o) Either way, it sounds like a great deal!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gradient finish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here