Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice on new pans?

Posted by lauriec (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 14:15

Hi all, newbie to this forum but figured it was best place to ask. my ancient calphalon stock pan has just bitten the dust ( aka - i carmelized apples on it yesterday making applesauce and forgetting it was on).

am thinking its time to get a new one - so what is your advice- calphalon again? other brands?

thanks,

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice on new pans?

Also check out the Cooking forum. But if you liked the Calphalon pan, I'd stick to getting another one. I know I like the few ones that I have. I have gotten them all at an outlet store, for a good price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking forum

o

Usually, I would recommend any 'triply' cookware, where the plies go all the way up to the top edge. However, it's not necessary for a big stock pot. Any stock pot with a thick disk on the bottom will be fine. Generally, the heavier the pot the better, as it usually means it has a heavier gauge stainless. With the disk, (or encapsulated bottomed-same thing) pots it's hard to tell how thick the sides are because they 'roll' the edges over (on the top edge).

True triply you can see the thickness of the plies on the edge. If you pour from the pan you might also look for the slightly curved 'pouring' edge. Again not needed in a big deep stock pot.

The 'Brand' alone doesn't mean much, because most big companies make different quality models. Also, cast iron is great for larger fry pans. A lot depends on the shape of the pan and what you use it for.

o

What do you mean by ''stock pan'' and what will you use it for?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here