Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Bought new stove, but what cookware is safe?

Posted by stinky-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 13:46

Hi! I bought a Frigidaire Gallery range with a glass (ceramic?) smooth cooktop & it was delivered yesterday. The instruction manual has scared me to death. It says not to use virtually every sort of cookware on earth, but doesn't say WHAT TO use! Yes, it hints that stainless steel won't harm the surface, but also mentions that SS is a poor conductor of heat, which produces poor results.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The manual also says not to use pans with dirty bottoms, as they may scar or scratch the surface. Yes, I wash my pans, but my old ones are probably not a good idea anyway. Pans with colors are a no-no, as they may melt onto the surface.

I *think* hard anondized aluminum would be fine to use...I'm just not sure. The manual does say never let aluminum foil touch the cooktop under ANY circumstances!

Whew...I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I had to get an electric stove/oven & was sick to death of cleaning the coils and especially under the coils, where food escaped constantly.

I have a "Green Pan" that I haven't unwrapped that says it's safe for glass cooktops. Yes, No, Maybe? Any experience with this? Most of you I'm sure cook with gas, but I hope someone out there knows what to do in this scenario anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Btw, I did call Frigidaire customer service...No help whatsoever!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Bought new stove, but what cookware is safe?

Take a few minutes (maybe 20 or so) and read this really exhaustive and complete article on cookware. Even if you only retain 20% of it, you'll know far more than the average cookware salesperson.

Stainless is a lousy conductor, but you hardly ever find it by itself except in very cheap cookware. Usually there is a disc of copper or aluminum inside the base (and sometimes up the sides) of the pot. This 'sandwich' usually has good performance from the good conducting metal (copper or aluminum) but the surfaces are easy to care for because they are nonreactive stainless.

By the way, I find that buying a 'set' of cookware is a false economy; there are usually a few items I never use. Figure out what your budget is, and buy the best tool you can afford for the task you wish to accomplish. I have a mix of black cast iron (for searing steaks), some stainless/aluminum saucepans, some stainless stockpots, some enameled cast iron for braising--all excel at certain tasks, but few of them match.

Here is a link that might be useful: stovetop cookware

o
RE: Help! Bought new stove, but what cookware is safe?

Wow, Arley, what a fantastic link...thanks!

I do need to take some time to read it carefully, but it certainly does appear to be quite the primer on cookware!

Appreciate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here