Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markbr_gw

Vollrath Cookie sheets, think I bought the wrong ones,need item #

markbr
18 years ago

I stopped by my local Retaurant supplier and I asked for the Vollrath cookie sheets.

The ones on Cooks Illustrated were 14x17, and the ones this place had were 13x18. No Big deal I thought.

When I arrived home to open the box, I noticed that these Vollrath sheets had a lip all away around and were not completely flat (except for the handles) as the sheets were on the Cooks Illustarted review.

Does this matter? will this cook cookies the same way? or is this better served for something else?

The part # on the sheets are 68371. They were really cheap and only about 8.50USD as compared to over $20 online for the ones review on Cooks Illustrated.

Can anyone confirm what the part # is for the sheets review on Cooks Illustarted.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• maggie5il
    18 years ago

Which issue was it in? I can check if I have that magazine.

• markbr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maggie,

I got it from the online subscription.

The Problem(s) with Cookie Sheets
    Written: 5/2005
    This updated a testing that appeared in the March/April 1998 issue.

• maggie5il
    18 years ago

Oh, sorry, can't help you then.

• twocats_wy
    18 years ago

I **think** the one in CI is Vollrath product #68085 (natural aluminum finish). The article, which appeared in the May-June 2005 CI issue (#74), identified the sheets as being made of steel, but this appears to have been in error; they are aluminum, according to the Vollrath website. I don't know if CI issued a correction in later issues. The same pan is available in a "SteelCoat x3" (i.e., brand name for Vollrath's nonstick) finish -- #68084, but I think the natural one is what CI tested, based on the article.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Vollrath Cookie Sheet/CI

• markbr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

twocats_wy,

Thank you, you are 100% right and I disovered it myself the other day.

What I bought from the store was the Jelly roll trays, or Bun pans as Vollarath calls them.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I'm still going to keep them as I'm sure they will come in handy, I would have like to see a review of them, but I couldn't find any reviews of Jelly roll trays on cooksillustrated.

I called back the store and had them order the Volrath #68085. I hard to order a case of 6, I'll just give some to family.

The whole steel/aluminum confused me too, but I figured it had to be the Aluminum ones as the review did not mention anything about Steelcoat nonstick and did say that it was important for the colour to be light.

• twocats_wy
    18 years ago

Glad it worked out for you. After you've had a chance to try both styles, do post back your impressions.

Based on info from Vollrath's site, the 68371 "bun" pans (jelly roll style w/ four raised sides) are the same gauge aluminum as the 68085 sheets. The raised sides **shouldn't** make much difference in baking quality, even in convection mode.

The CI article tested one jelly roll-style pan in the issue #74 article. It was a WearEver Commercial pan in tinned steel. The only dun seemed to be the fact that it had four raised sides -- CI felt it was easier (& resulted in more intact cookies) to remove liner sheets (parchment or silicone) when the long sides of the sheet are flat, like on the #1 rated Vollrath. Otherwise, the baking & durability ratings for the WearEver were the same as Vollrath -- three stars.

• markbr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, when I realize what I bought weren't actual cookie sheets, the first thing I checked was the guage of the aluminum, and I told myself that if they were the same, then I could just live with the Jell roll sheets as my cookie sheets.

I compared the two on the Vollrath site and the cookie sheets are a 10 guage and the jelly roll are 18, it was a big enough difference for me to buy the cookie sheets as well, to tell you the truth my wife wouldn't let me return the Jelly roll ones, she was more than happy to add them to our collection.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals