Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Tea kettle

kksmama
19 years ago

I like having a tea kettle on my stove all the time, so I want one that looks nice, and I like the idea of having the same one for a few decades ("oh, look - mom's old tea kettle is right there on the stove") so I don't mind spending up to $100 or so for it.

But thus far I've been so dissapointed! I had a Chantal one with a wonderful harmonic whistle but it didn't work well in our new house on the gas stove, the handle got hot before the water boiled. The worst part is that when I went to dry it out the towel was black - bleachhh! What was that gunk and how much of it did I drink over the years?

The next kettle was a really cool looking one from Target, stainless steel and I loved it until my dear son let it boil dry and little splatters turned to caked on black stuff. I was working on getting the spots off when I looked inside....and there was a hard brown film! What is *that*? I figured that since I only put purified water in the kettle I don't have to clean it out but now I'm wondering. I hope the film was just the result of him letting it burn dry - I think he used tap water and maybe it is hard water staining? I boiled it with vinegar and it didn't come clean, I scrubbed with SOS and have given up.

So I have two questions: Can anyone recommend a lovely kettle that I'll be happy to see sitting on my stove for the next thirty years? And do you all clean your kettle regularly? I think I want stainless so I *know* what the inside should look like, because now I'm sure I'll be checking at least some times!

Comments (17)

• sharburk
    19 years ago

I have requested this tea kettle for Christmas from my children. Although I have not used it, so can't really recommend it. I usually send them a few e mails this time of year with suggestions of things that I would like and this is at the top of my list...

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Tea Kettle

• sharburk
    19 years ago

I just noticed that the tea kettle I posted was $119.00. On the other site that I sent to my kids, it was $99.00. So, you can find it for less.

• lindac
    19 years ago

My tea kettle is an old copper one that holds a gallon and has sat on my stove for about 30 years. Bought it at an auction after burning up one like is in the link that was posted.
    A quart is a very small tea kettle....and that heat conductor bottom comes off.....and when it gets hot, it falls off....and can do a nasty thing to a vinyl floor! That tea kettle is not to be used!
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

My tin-lined copper tea kettle has sat on my stove top for over 20 years. It has some slight dings in the bottom and at present could use a good polish, but it works for me and has become my own personal "antique." I wouldn't trade it for anything.

• steve_o
    19 years ago

Though it's far from the ideal vessel for heating up water, a Le Creuset tea kettle will last forever and look good doing it.

Or you could check out these ...

Michael Graves' classic for Alessi

Japanese tetsubin

n.b. I have no experience dealing with any of these companies.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I like the Michael Graves - very similar to my kettle from Target that I think is also designed by him. I think I'm going to go with All Clad, I like and trust the brand and really prefer stainless. Thanks for the replies!

• steve_o
    19 years ago

The Target version is very similar to the Alessi kettle. I understand the Alessi folks weren't exactly thrilled about that, either!

• mes444
    19 years ago

kksmama, I too am looking for a tea kettle and thought about All Clad as I have and love their pots and pans. But upon checking some reviews at Amazon about their tea kettles, it seems they are not up to their usual high standards. Maybe someone else makes them for All Clad? Just thought I'd mention it.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bummer - but thanks for the warning mes444. What kettles are you considering?

I looked at an all-clad discounter and they said they can't get the kettles, they are made in Italy so they don't get seconds. If it isn't the All Clad I know and love I don't want it.

I do like le creuset and love the price at Chef's - thanks Steve-O. I'd rather have stainless, but the look of the zen blue kettle is pretty nice....

• mes444
    19 years ago

I got a Chantal Classic tea kettle today at Marshall's for $38 instead of $99 as it is everywhere else. It seems very sturdy and well put together. I've used it a few times and the only thing not perfect is that a few drops of water come out of the spout as it begins to boil. Maybe I have it filled to high and can adjust going forward. It works very well on my glass electric cooktop as it has a flat bottom, many others don't. I know you had a Chantal, but I wanted to let you know what I got.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hope you enjoy it, mes444. The whistle is very cool. Do check the inside from time to time, I had cleaned mine out when I bought it but probably not much during the couple years I used it (for water only, of course) so I don't know the black residue was from (shudder).

• Organized_Lady
    19 years ago

I don't know if anyone is still looking for a tea kettle but if you are the Adware stainless tea kettle is wonderful
    It is very nice looking on my stainless and black stove, easy clean and has a whistle so no burning the kettle dry.
    I have had it for many years and will continue to use it for many years to come.
    Have a great day

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Service Direct

• rdwright
    19 years ago

I don't know where it was made, but I have the All-Clad tea kettle and LOVE it! It heats up quickly and whistles every time. I also like the looks of it. We've had for it for several years now and it looks like new. Just my two cents.

• wws944
    19 years ago

mes444 wrote:

: I ... thought about All Clad as I have and love their pots and pans. But upon checking some reviews at Amazon about their tea kettles, it seems they are not up to their usual high standards...

We bought an AC tea kettle a couple of years ago and can relate to the Amazon reviews. The spout started leaking on ours too.

To their credit, AC honored the lifetime guarantee and have recently sent us a new one. The new kettle has been redesigned such that I don't think leakage will be a problem.

Of note, the new kettle is made in the PRC, not Italy.

• chitownfifi
    19 years ago

I bought a Le Creuset tea kettle from TJ Maxx for $29! I love it and the whistle works quite well...

It sits in my stove all of the time...

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

We have an electric unit, sits on the counter on it's own base. It turns off when it reaches temperature, a safety feature I cannot live without in my multi-storied house. All it would take for me to lose my house is one distraction with unit that doesn't automatically shut off.

• nancyo_ca
    19 years ago

SharB, your wished-for copper tea kettle is also offered in stainless steel with or without the bottom by Williams Sonoma. It certainly is good looking.