Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markbr_gw

Opinions on Paderno Cookware, is it considered high end?

markbr
18 years ago

They often have incredible sales and are currently have an Internet sale.

Can anyone confirm the quality of this cookware, is it considered high end?

Our new kitchen is just being completed today and we'll be using a Dacor PGM365 Gas cooktop.

I'd love some great cookware to go with it, will the Paderno make the cut or should I be buying something better?

Comments (24)

• calvin1g
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Paderno is considered to be high-end cookware. Although I have never seen or used a Paderno piece, I have seen Lincoln Wear-ever's Centurion line of pots and pans which are made by Paderno. It looks and feels wonderful, much better than Sitram, say, and the observed quality is high. I saw the equipment in a local restaurant supply store here in Rutland, VT known for their reasonable prices and high quality restaurant gear.

Our personal stuff here at home consists of some much beloved older and newer All-Clad, Calphalon, Mauviel 2.5/3.0 mm Cupretam (tinned) copper and some 30-year-old Farberware which I think we are going to replace with the Paderno/Lincoln stuff. Go ahead and do it; I bet you won't be sorry!

• bluebloom
    18 years ago

I knew someone who used to be a chef... her favored cookware was Paderno, & she noted that it often goes on sale for 50% off at ?Sears (& I've seen at Home Hardware and other stores.... Paderno's website has a list of retailers). There was a big sale last week but it looks like it's continued on their Internet site.

Another person told me they loved their stainless steel Paderno roaster... the one with a rack, handles off to the side and flat lid that could double as another pan. I see it's on now for $99. I bought one but haven't used it yet; I do like the look. I have one of their ?1-litre saucepans which I like very much.

I also got 2 sizes of their non-stick pans, after being fed up with our cheapo ones peeling and scraping. Admittedly they were expensive even on sale and we minimize their use, but they're great to use and clean. I did give hubby extra reminders about being careful scraping as he often uses them for eggs, and do put paper towel in between for stacking... so far they still look perfect.

I have a set of Paderno's stainless steel mixing bowls (set of 3 plus a larger one) that I love - they're not flimsy; they feel like an indulged treat to use (which they are, since I did already have adequate cheap plastic bowls and some Pyrex bowls). I do see similar looking ones around for about the same price or maybe cheaper but don't know about the relative quality. Oddly, I just looked at their website and saw the bowls at one point, but then couldn't find them again when I went to look. Also couldn't find their shipping prices; if memory serves me correctly when I ordered from a similar "special" sale the shipping was free, perhaps if the order was over a certain amount. I like that Paderno is made in Canada.

Our main cookware is now Belgique Classique... we got a 7 piece set several years ago as a gift. Once I learned how to use them better and clean out accidental burns (ooops), I loved them.... and now have added other pieces (at 50% off sales at the Bay). I like Belgique's rounded handles, which to me are easier to pick up for my sometimes-weakish hands and fingers, and I also like the rounded sort of old-fashioned look. Our first set was made in Belgium, but now they're made in China, and the bottoms are a bit different (the older ones don't have a "ridge or separation" between the bottom round part and the body of the pot/pan). I'm curious as to why Macy's in the U.S. no longer seems to carry the non-copper bottomed version as per my last look at their website (when I was looking for Belgique bargains).

To put my experience in context, my previous "good" cookware was copper bottomed Revereware, inspired by my mom's set, and a gift set of Silverstone teflon that we've since gotten rid of. Not til browsing this forum some time ago did I learn that Revereware's not recommended for flat topped stoves. I don't cook "often enough"; am looking forward to doing more and more cooking and learning to make best use of all our cookware.... and do so appreciate when I get to browsing these forums!

Whew.... didn't intend to say quite so much but I like reading others' opinions and experiences so have gone a little off the Paderno subject. Good luck with your final choice(s).... I'd be interested in hearing how you like them if you do get them as they also make good gifts... as I enjoy my "better" cookware, I also like to treat some people to the same.

• bluebloom
    18 years ago

Forgot to say... before investing a lot in cookware you hope to enjoy and keep a long time, it would be helpful if you could go see and handle at least some of the pieces in person, particularly some heavy ones.

And they have a line calledgChaudierÂh on their website; I'm not sure what the differences are compared to the "Paderno" line.

You can find retail outlets on Paderno's website linked below.

• solarpowered
    18 years ago

Be aware that there are two Padernos, one in Canada, the other in Italy. I believe that they were connected at some point in the past.

They are both well-regarded companies. But one needs to keep straight which Paderno one is talking about.

• bluebloom
    18 years ago

That's interesting re the two Padernos - thanks for bringing that up.

I discovered when using one of our non-stick (bluish color; I think there are different kinds) Paderno frypans, that there ARE nicks in the surface!! :-(
    I must watch dh next time he cooks with it.... and perhaps will change to the silicone utensils rather than the somewhat hard plastic ones. Darn, I hope the surface scratching doesn't progress... not only because it was a bit pricey, but for the waste if it becomes unusable.

• Paul Warwick
    8 years ago

Has anyone used cooking spray (PAM) on Paderno frying pans? I'd much prefer to use that than oil or butter as the instructions recommend.

• Gloria Burns
    6 years ago

I have been using Canadian Paderno for many years now, I have had to replace two items but not due to manufacture blunder but my children learning to cook and well needing a bit more practice shall we say. I have never had to buy a new set, other than the two items my children ruined on me. I use Extra Olive Virgin Oil in all my pots/pans. I season them like you do a cast iron pan, I find it helps keep it's shine and prevents any type of sticking. I take a paper towel and pour a little oil on it and take that towel and rub the bottom and inner edges with it, been doing this for many years too. Paderno is a high end cookware set and can be pricey if buying a complete set as I see they have gone up in price since my day. I can't speak for Italian Paderno as I've personally never heard of it nor used it to my knowledge. 90% of all my kitchen pots/pans as well as utensils are Canadian made, I find they have always provided me with quality and durability in all the products I've ever bought over the years. My youngest grandchild, now almost 25 married the love of his life 4 years ago. My husband may he rest in peace bought them a Canadian Paderno pot set for a wedding gift, they still have it and use it regularly for them as well as their first born. My recommendation if thinking on buying a high end pot/pan set that will last your for years in the making is to go see for yourself the quality and craftsmanship put into this product. As someone mentioned, you have to physically touch them to understand them. Don't use stainless steel utensils in them if you want them to last, that will only eventually scratch and ruin the pot/pan as it would in any pot/pan you use. I buy Canadian Paderno cooking utensils, they are a heavy duty plastic that work wonders and don't scratch the surface of a pot/pan.

• alex_bialosh
    6 years ago

I regret to say that we received for Christmas a Paderno electric grill because I'm ready to put it in the garbage. The non stick is of very poor quality and I dont like the uneven suface. It cannot be called a non stick griddle it's the worst I've ever owned and this is after first usage. Previous griddle I owned for at least 10 years never, never lost its non stick qualities.

• ve5sgb
    6 years ago

I purchased a Paderno frypan and it is truly the worst pan I have owned! The non stick surface is unuseable. Everything sticks. This company needs to be held to task over what I consider outright fraud!

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

ve5sgb why don't go approach them? They have good warranties, and they're great people to deal with. Coming on here with one catty post just to slag them off when you apparently haven't talked to them yet is a bit mean, frankly. Or do you work for the opposition??

https://www.paderno.com/pages/contact-us

• HU-151242844
    5 years ago

I own paderno cookware and it is ok but I have used other brands that are of the same quality. I also have the paderno silverware and I do not like it at all. It has tarnished and when I contacted the company they politely told me to polish it. I don't have the time to polish silverware if I did I would buy real silver. I have some of their bake pans which are suppose to be nonstick and they are not so be careful when buying.

• R NODDING
    5 years ago

The person who commented on the electric grill should know that this was not Canadian Paderno but Italian Paderno. As "solarpowed" wrote, you should be aware of which brand you are buying and note such in your comment.

• PRO
    Urban Concrete Design
    3 years ago

We have been using Canadian made Paderno pots and pans since 1977 and still have the same set. They are bulletproof and can be used every day even by children or your drunk brother in law. We are replacing our old set finally because they will not work on our new induction range. Replacing them with another Paderno set. We have people in our family requesting they be given the old set.

• Nilofar N
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I got my not stick Paderno set+ the big frying pan last October. It hasn't even been a year yet. Infact it's only been 9 months and I've hated them for 7+months. They were a bad investment.

I LOVE supporting Canadian-Made and always buy Canadian made when ever I can! But I have to say these pans and pots have disappointed me... :(

Bought them from Canadian Tire (again love supporting my Canadian retailers) on sale but still spent a few hundred dollars on them.

Anything I cook in them sticks. Not a scratch on them because I use rubber spatulas when cooking. So don't know what to say other than they're bad cookware unfortunately.

• Lara Chaloner
    3 years ago

check the warranty on the non stick set. We had a lagostina that did the same thing and checked warranty. I was not happy but was able to return (on my dime) and they sent a new set. We have been using Canadian Paterno (bought some right in PEI) and have had no problems. I am done with non stick. Has anyone used the cast iron Paderno?

• Tamara Flynn
    3 years ago

Paderno is absolute garbage!

was given to us as a gift for Xmas and it’s horrible. Today’s the day we’re actually gonna throw it out as it’s just ruined our breakfast!!! It has ruined many meals but always kept it around as we were told it’s a great product! Anything is better than this. Do not waste your time or money on this.

• Simon Marchand
    3 years ago

I just bought a set of the Canadian Professional to replace a previous Canadian made Paderno set that does not work with induction cooktops. I think the previous set was just a pad on the base and a single wall up the sides. I used and loved the set for many years, with pride. This new set however is try layer throughout the base and all the way up the sides. It feels like a big improvement. I had actually been researching All clad and considering their copper core line, but am very happy that I went with the Paderno professional line as it seems to have the same clad technology (sans the copper core, closer to the all clad d3) but much better value. I would consider this a high end set.

• drdrdrdo
    3 years ago

Paderno was bought by Canadian Tire and the old factory in PEI is now operating under the name Meyer.

Not sure who's making the new Paderno.

• HU-476535002
    3 years ago

I just purchased two today on sale at Canadian Tyre. I like the look and it has Canadian authentic signature with the serial numbers on the bottom and on the inside of the lid. the second is made in China with no authentic signature I don’t like it when compared together so make sure you are buying the Canadian or Italian one as they are manufactured under close supervision. Am returning the one made in China tomorrow

• Iona
    3 years ago

We have had Paderno pots for over 25 years and love them, plus have loved the fact that they are a Canadian company. I have bought pieces for my children as well and they love them too. Our pots still look wonderful and work extremely well. I once noticed in a “Martha Stewart magazine” that they were rated #1. I did not know that they were purchased by Canadian Tire and that the name has changed. They did produce different types of pots with varying types of qualities, I hope they keep their standards high.

• Nilofar N
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Really didn’t like mine. Burnt really easily, by simply warming food or frying some eggs in the pans. Don’t recommend them.

but to answer your question, they are considered ”high end”

• HU-15237188874
    last year

Bought a Vida Paderno microwave oven 1.1 cu. ft. about six months ago. Most of the functions appear to work quite well, however, when I reheat a cup of coffee for one minute, the cup is too hot to hold and the coffee is lukewarm. I must continue to rehead, and have to use a pot holder to take the cup out of the microwave oven. Never had a problem before with other brands, and unfortunately, would never buy another paderno product.

• Rhodina Hayman
    last year

My parents bought me a set of Paderno pots as a wedding gift in 1985. I am still using the same pots and they are still in top condition. They work amazingly. Even heat, go from stove top to oven. They are fabulous...I highly recommend.