Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

How do you sharpen your knives?

gardengrl
19 years ago

I have a nice set of Icel professional knives (chef, paring, boning, etc.) that need to be sharpened. Do you take your knives to be sharpened by a professional, or do you do your own sharpening? I was looking at the All Clad sharpener at W&S this weekend and wondered if it was worth it.

Comments (23)

• kframe19
    19 years ago

Lanskey sharpening system.

• HappuCooker
    19 years ago

I sharpen with an electric sharpener a few times a year and use the steel onthe blade before using the knife maybe every other time. My knives are decades old and still fabulous.

• yorkiemom_chicago
    19 years ago

I use the Wusthof sharpener (non-electric) occasionally and a steel as often as I remember. I have a stone, but I have trouble getting the angle right. The Wusthof tool is perfect for me.

• jhart3
    19 years ago

I use a Duosharp Extra Fine & Coarse Diamond Whetstone along with a pair of ceramic rods.

Global, Kasumi, whustoff and henkle, works well with all. Razor sharp.

• ellen76
    19 years ago

I use the Chef's Choice manual knife sharpener every time I use a knife. It is extremely easy to use, costs about $20, and keeps them in sharp shape. I get a new sharpener every six months or so, because they wear out after a while.

• sunnyco
    19 years ago

I use an edgepro apex unit. It was expensive but it works great and I have sharpened the knives of everyone whose house I have stayed at since, as well as my own.

Here is a link that might be useful: edgepro

• lil_rhody
    19 years ago

Lanskey system can't be beat.

• sabernar
    19 years ago

I go to the knife store and they sharpen them for about $4 a piece. And that includes non-staight blades like my bread knife which got seriously dull recently. Now they are all super sharp. Oh yeah, I have Henckel Pro S.

• dereckbc
    19 years ago

I sharpen professionally with paper wheels on a bench grinder.

• cpovey
    19 years ago

Lots of decent systems, a few really good ones (Lansky, EdgePro, Chef's choice). There are a lot of bad ones, mostly the ones built into a can openers and similar.

All good systems put multiple angles on a knife.

Colin

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

I use a steel to maintain the edge on my knives. Chef's Choice is a good system I am familiar with. DO NOT USE the built-in the can opener variety!

Be aware that you do not want to be removing the edge on your knives often - or in a few years, you'll have no knife. A new edge should only be put on about once a year with heavy everyday use. The rest of the time you maintain that edge with a steel or other type re-aligning tool.

• measure_twice
    19 years ago

silicon carbide wet-dry sandpaper sheets on a flat surface.

But reading the above posts, it seems I must have been doing it wrong all these years even though the blades have lasted decades.

• jhart3
    19 years ago

A also agree with the above that recommends only occational "sharpening" ... use a steel every use to realign... for hard blades, like global knives have, I use a diamond steel.

• arley_gw
    19 years ago

Here's an interesting link which discusses different sharpening systems exhaustively. After reading it I think I'm going to get a paper wheel setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: sharpening made easy

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, so many options! I decided to go have them done professionally for $2 a piece. I've got a professional steel for realigning the blade and use it regularly. I love my knives and didn't want to take the chance I would sharpen them incorrectly.

• lazy_gardens
    19 years ago

Whetstone and oil, like my grandpa taught me!

• davejnh
    19 years ago

I use a steel frequently to keep the edge aligned. Occasionally, when the steel doesn't seem to be doing the job I'll do a couple strokes through a manual Chef's Choice sharpener. Only two or three on the fine side, then finish with the steel.
    DJ

• cupofkindness
    18 years ago

Can any one tell me how I can sharpen my Henckels Four Star knives? The set came with a steel, but I'm reluctant to use it since I am inexperienced. Thank you!

Also, here's a link from the "Knives #2" thread about sharpening knives:

Here is a link that might be useful: Knife sharpening

• mrsmarv
    18 years ago

Chef's Choice about once or twice a year. Sharpening steel after regular use.

• cupofkindness
    18 years ago

Mrs. Marv:

Exactly how do you use the sharpening steel?

Also, here is a different sort of Henckles sharpener. Does anyone have any opinions on this type? Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zwilling JA Henckels Twinsharp Knife Sharpener

• suse17
    18 years ago

We have Henckels knives, mostly, and use this sharpener. We like it. I can't say it's the greatest thing out there, since I've never used any other sharpener, but it does sharpen our knives well. It's small and cheap and very easy to use. When you draw the blade through you can feel the difference as the blade smooths out more with each pass. With a bit of practice (on some old, not so hot knives), we learned just how many time to pull each knife through the sharpener. We just use it when the steel no longer seems to do the job. Once we bought this gadget, we no longer send the knives out for sharpening any more - do-it-yourself is just fine.

• trekker
    17 years ago

Just heard this recommendation on The Splendid Table (National Public Radio, splendidtable.org): you can ship knives to holleyknives.com to have them sharpened. According to the report, you fill out a form so that they can send you shipping containers for the knives with a label. Haven't tried it, but that would be an option.

• leolady
    17 years ago

I use a Norton 3 stone whetstone and oil system that comes in a large plastic case with handles on each side to turn the stones and a steel.