Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gneegirl

Todd English - Green Pans

gneegirl
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm posting here and also on the Appliance Forum. Has anyone know of, or used Chef Todd English Green Pans? I'm trying to find out whether they are usable on induction cooktops. I'm slowly finding out that most people do not know much about induction cooktops - including cooking professionals. HSN is selling them, and when I asked if they were good for inductions, the response was "yes", but it didn't sound as though they knew what I was talking about. They cookware is non-stick but supposed to be able to handle VERY high heat - 700 dedgrees or so, thereby eliminating the breakdown of the finish on traditional non-stick because it does not contain PFOA or PTFF (no plastic in the non-stick coating).

I will be installing a hybrid induction cooktop, but want to be sure I can use my cookware on both sides. The pans are made with aluminum and ceramic - wouldn't think they would be for induction but thought I'd check here.

Any info would be appreciated - Thanks!!

gng

Comments (7)

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Any pan that is magnetic can be inductively heated. If a small magnet will not cling to a pan.......then that pan won't work on any induction heating element. Aluminum pans will not work.

Dan

• jjkadaba69
    16 years ago

I just saw the info-mercial for these thismorning! I was thinking about getting them. They are made of aluminum with a cermanic based coating. I do not think that aluminum is magnetic and as Dan mentioned they won't work on induction elements.

My favorite cookware has always been cast iron. It's natural "seasoned" state is non stick and it's magnetic too so it should work on your induction stovetop. It's not harmful to you either, like aluminum (linked to alzheimers) and coated non stick cookware are.

JoAnn

• suzyq3
    16 years ago

It's not harmful to you either, like aluminum (linked to alzheimers) and coated non stick cookware are.

It is a tenuous link at best. No reliable study has concluded that aluminum cookware is implicated or not in the development of Alzheimer's.

While early studies may have shown a concentration of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's, it's also highly likely that the disease may have created a vulnerability to his very common element.

In any case, if you use anodized aluminum (or don't cook highly acidic foods in uncoated aluminum), the aluminum transfer is zero.

The "aluminum is poison" scare goes way back and was quite profitable for some of its perpetrators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Legends

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Aluminum is everywhere in our environment. We all eat pounds of the stuff each year. Mainly Aluminum Oxide in the form of clay. The tiny quantity obtained from cookware is small compared to how much we get from "natural" sources.

Dan

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Mainly Aluminum Oxide in the form of clay

We eat pounds of clay each year?

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Yep, we all eat more aluminum than we realize and other metals too. Aluminum is really all around us.

It exists in a relatively high concentration in our soil. Some soils have more aluminum in it than others. For example, certain Jamaican soils are so high in aluminum content that it is predominately composed of the ore we know as Bauxite. Bauxite ore (i.e. Jamaican Dirt) is the raw material used in the manufacture of Aluminum. Aluminum is a major component of all clays.....and soils high in clays are high in aluminum content. Some of the dust we breath in has aluminum in it. Aluminum is used to remove suspended solids ( i.e. dirt) from water in some water treatment plants. Natural water picks up aluminum as it moves over soil or through earth's strata. It is found naturally in many of the foods that we eat. It is part of the metal containing minerals that we consume with our foods. When analyst calculate the aluminum content in our diet and it is calculated in its most common chemical form......i.e. Al2O3 (or clay).....it amounts to pound per year.

We humans consume a lot of other metals too as a natural part of our diet and medicines.......and that's a really good thing! To name a few..........Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Chromium, Iodine, Lithium, Thallium, etc. Many of these metals are very beneficial to us and we would become unhealthy without them. For example:

1) Iron keeps us from getting anemic and keeps us strong.
    2) Lithium keeps us from going nuts.
    3) Sodium makes things taste salty.
    4) Magnesium is used in water softeners.
    5) Potassium is used in our cells to transport energy.
    6) Calcium is in our bones.
    7) Aluminum is used to clean water. It is in our
    antacids. It is in Pepto Bismol.
    8) Copper is healthy, at least according to those
    who have the bracelets.
    9) Zinc is in antiperspirant.

1. Iodine is required to prevent certain deficiency
      diseases such as goiter
    2. Thallium is required for certain brain functions.
    3. etc.

However; if we consume too much of these metals, we may become unhealthy. Some metals may become toxic at high concentrations. So what are we to do?

Eat a balanced diet with everything in moderation. Take a vitamin & mineral supplement and exercise regularly. And most importantly.... we need to stop worrying about TOXIC cookware. That problem does not exist in this country.

We need to focus more on removing the stress out of our lives rather than removing the metals out of our diet. The real threats to our health come from stress, food choices, and lack of excercise.

Don't worry......be happy!! ......goes a long way to making one healthier than worrying about non-existent toxic aluminum pans.

Dan

• Granifrog_aol_com
    13 years ago

I love my green pans....I was sooo disapointed when I got my induction cooktop and thinking I had to give them up and then HSN had a Today's Special with Todd English's new stainless cookware and it works on the induction...had to switch, but that is ok because I love the non stick inside.