Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric Roasting Oven Opinions?

Posted by dontknow (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 9:13

Hi.

Considering the purchase of an Electric Roasting Oven and am curious to any experience / opinions on one from the folks here.

My mom used one for years (many, many years ago) for turkey's, etc... Our need would be mainly same - for turkey's, whole turkey breasts, hams, etc....

I'm thinking it would come in handy to free up our actual oven for the sides for Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday meals at our house.

That being said, I'm skeptical about getting one not knowing anyone with one and not sure how they are "now-a-days".

Any opinions on results, brands, size, etc. is most welcomed.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric Roasting Oven Opinions?

We are full-time rv'ers with a very small oven. I purchased one to use as an oven and have had good success using it. I've baked pies, casseroles and side dishes in it. Matter of fact I have the sweet potato casserole for the Thanksgiving dinner in it right now.

I purchased the GE brand from Wal-Mart because I wasn't sure if I'd use it and hated to invest much into it till I'd tried it. I got in on clearance this spring for $10 (can't beat that). The only problem I've had is it's about 50 degrees off on temperature settings. If I need to bake at 350 it has to be set to 400. I don't know if that's only with the GE brand or if the Nesco would be more accurate. I'll be interested in the responses you get because I'm thinking of getting the Nesco and giving the GE to our church.

Nancy

o
RE: Electric Roasting Oven Opinions?

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the input. I went with the Nesco stainless steel 18 quart oven.

Used it for Thanksgiving and it worked very well.

If you decide to get one, please be sure you allow plenty of time to "burn out the stink" as recommended by Nesco. The recommended time was 1 hour and I can tell you that it took approximately 12 hours before the stink was totally gone. We put it outside on a patio so the house didn't smell like burning electrical wire.

Reading many of the disappointing reviews by users on-line about this, I can clearly see the disgust if you don't allow this break-in period before use. We purchased it a couple weeks before Thanksgiving to allow for this.

If I hadn't read the reviews though on this particular issue, I'm not sure I would have kept it. So going into it knowing this surely helped.

Once you get over this hump though, the thing works like a champ!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here