Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to look for in old cast iron

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 9:03

I tried new cast iron once and didn't get it seasoned right and gave it away. I'm thinking of trying again but still don't like the idea of pre-seasoned. I was thinking of picking up something at an antique or flea market. I also tend to worry about pre-used pans, who knows, maybe someone used it to cook meth at some point........but anyway!
If I were to see a cast iron skillet or dutch oven in such a store, what do I look for? Certain brands? Thickness?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to look for in old cast iron

Older pans tend to be thinner and smoother. That's nice--they'll season faster and weigh very slightly less. I'd check for a flat bottom, partly because I have induction, but also just as a sign of decent craftsmanship. (Obviously that's not what you'd look for in round-bottomed or footed items.) A smooth interior that isn't rusty is best, but even pebbly is OK--just a little harder to season.

As far as using a used pan, I'm right there with you. I probably have an old post here about should I use this pot and how do I strip it since for all I know it was used as a camp toilet. Whether you burn off the old seasoning or EasyOff it, it'll be clean enough you won't have to worry about meth or poop.

Look for a nice fitting lid, too. Some brands are more famous than others, but I think there are plenty of the less common brands that are just as good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here