Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie5il

Potato Ricers

maggie5il
18 years ago

Does anyone actually go to the trouble to put your potatoes thru a ricer when making mashed potatoes? If so, I assume you really notice a difference?

Comments (19)

• lindac
    18 years ago

It's fairly hard work unless you have really strong hands....but yes it does make a difference....but I don't do it....
    Linda C

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Actually if you buy the right kind of potato ricer you won't need strong hands. I use a potato ricer all the time. Make sure you buy a French style potato ricer. Because of the angle it doesn't take much hand strength. But DO NOT buy this round type. They work but take more strength.

Ann

• momj47
    18 years ago

I have my mother's ricer, she used to make them occassionally, I hated them. She just plopped down riced potatoes on the plate - they were awful. Apparently she didn't know she was supposed to do anything else with them.

• marie26
    18 years ago

Ann, do yu have the French style potato ricer? Do you boil your potatoes and let the ricer get rid of the peel (as in the description)? I hope so because then it would definitely be something very practical

I have the round type and stopped using it ages ago It just never seemed to be worth the bother.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Marie, I do have the French Style. I've had this type for years. The round ones are just to hard on the hand.

I love mashed potatoes and we have them at least once a week with one thing or another. I always peel them first. It takes so little time especially if you are making mashed potatoes for just two or three people.

Ann

• marie26
    18 years ago

Ann, do the potatoes come out the same whether you use the round ricer or the one you recommend? Is it just the strength needed that is the difference between the two types?

• HanArt
    18 years ago

How are riced potatoes different from whipped? We don't eat a lot of potatoes, but when we do it's usually smashed or roasted. I used to love mashed with gravy when I was a kid. Now about the only time I make them is Thanksgiving.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Yes Marie, the potatoes are "riced" just the same but with much less effort.

Cindy, the potatoes are forced through the little holes in the ricer and look like grains of rice. Either eat as is or add a little butter, milk or cream and stir and you have very smooth mashed potatoes. If you are someone that likes lumpy mashed potatoes than you won't like them made with a ricer.

Ann

• HanArt
    18 years ago

But how are they different from whipped (with electric beaters)? I do like texture in my potatoes, but mashed (whipped) are almost a requisite for gravy.

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

I think the difference is the potatoes don't get that "gummy" texture if you take it too far when whipping (guilty!). I am an Irish girl and we like them "lumpy" but DH and family don't! That said - I don't use a ricer - I use my foodmill which is also great for tomatoes, etc.

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Oops - wanted to add - with the foodmill you can put them in with skins and all - thats why it works so well with tomatoes too! Not sure if the ricers do the same since I don't have one.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Maggie, and I bet with a food mill you could do more potatoes at once. Never had "gummy" with whipped. Maybe I've been lucky.

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Yes - you can do alot of potatoes at once. I really don't use it much - just another "tool" to clean!

• allison_treluna_com
    18 years ago

can anyone tell me if there is anyway to "rice" potatoes by hand, like with a fine cheese grater or something? i want to make gnocci but do not want to have to buy a "ricer".
    also, do you rice potatoes before or after you cook them?
    thanks!!!

• lindac
    18 years ago

I suppose you could grate cooked potatoes....but am sure it wouldn't work very well.
    Potatoes are put through a ricer after they are cooked.
    Lina C

• shaneajohnson
    18 years ago

Riced potatoes are way better than mashed or whipped. I use Yukon Gold and rice them right onto the plates, then add a pat of butter. Totally scrumptious!

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Allison - yes you can use a box grater - after the potatoes are cooked. I do it that way when I make potato pancakes. Watch your knuckles!!!

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

meant to say before potatoes are cooked!

• higginsx
    18 years ago

I've used a French ricer for years for mashed potatoes. Much easier. The main worry is stray potato bits flying around. I do it in the sink, in a deep deep bowl or sometimes in the stockpot I just boiled the potatoes in.