Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbuzbee

Le Creuseter

kbuzbee
18 years ago

Okay, I'm hooked! Tried this casserole three days in a row. Three fantastic dishs! First day was a pot roast - beef stew kind of thing. Cubed beef, potatoes, carrots, red wine and herbs. Cooked on the stove top on "2" for three hours. Awsome flavor and extremely tender. Second day - bbq chicken with risotto 5 hours - perfect. Last night - lamb ratatouille - 4 hours. WW said she didn't care for lamb but she loved this! Everything was just wonderfully flavorful and amazingly tender. This way of cooking ROCKS! Thanks to everyone who has written about their experience with Le Creuset. It's awsome stuff.

Ken

Comments (19)

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Wonderful, Ken! I love my LC too! I've heard of families in France that pass it down from one generation to another, because they could - it was still in good shape, well loved and taken care of.

• lindac
    18 years ago

WW said she didn't care for lamb but she loved this

Hmmm...."WW"???
    Wicked Woman?
    Wonderful Wife?
    Witchey Woman?
    Linda C

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wonderful Wife! She's the best.

Ken

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Theresa_nc7 - I can see that. I want my kids to appreciate this way of cooking sooner than I did. Everyone is in such a hurry today. I can't tell you the number of days we look at each other about 6pm and say "So what do you want for dinner?" Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to have some things that give us the flexibility to walk in and have dinner in 30 minutes. But it's also nice to be able to spend the whole day anticipating a meal as the smells fill the house. Today is going to fill a pork loin in my new pot! Hmmmm....

Ken

• robinkateb
    18 years ago

Ken, those dishes sound wonderful. I love my Le Creuset. Can you share the recipe for lamb ratatouille please.

-Robin

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sure Robin, it was very simple. Took 10 minutes to assemble. I browned the lamb in the Le Creuset, then added a can of tomato puree, 1/2 cup of cabernet savignon, a package of mushrooms, two each (smallish) sliced yellow and green squash and a medium sliced eggplant, salt, pepper, herb de provence (everything to taste, you really can't miss with this thing). and let it cook on low for 7-8 hours. The sauce was amazing.

Ken

• blondelle
    18 years ago

Thanks Ken for posting your recipe. It sounds wonderful, and looks easy. How much lamb did you use, and how was it prepared for cooking? Which Le Creuset pot did you use to make it?

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Just received my first Staub. Ken, my DH loves lamb and I have never made it since I don't like it!! Would love that to be the inaugural dish in my new pot as a surprise to DH (the french oven was a gift from him).

What cut of lamb? I assume that was on the stovetop - would the oven be okay too? I have a little one and hate to leave something that long on the stovetop.

Thank you!!! Maybe I will become a lamb convert too! If it is not tooo much to ask (pretty please) - I also interested in the chicken with the risotto - I just recently purchased arborio rice to make risotto and have visions of stirring stirring forever!!! How does that work in the lc - no burning?? Thanks, again!!!! Lastly, how can I get my DH to cook like you do - lol? - Maggie

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Blondelle - it was a 3# shank (bone in), I just put a little olive oil in the bottom, browned it for 5-6 minutes and added everything else.

Maggie - Yes, it was on the stovetop. I'm sure the oven would be fine too BUT, since the burner was only on 2 you aren't looking at _serious_ burns. Could even be a teaching opportunity 'see, it's hot!' OR you could put it on the back burner.

I wasn't sure about the risotto but I wanted to see what happened if I just threw it in and left it. Worked fine. Use enough chicken stock. If I had to keep stirring it, it wouldn't have happened. It has to be the lower heat.

As for DH... Start him with manly stuff like cast iron! It's like the indoor version of grilling (which most guys are up for;) For us, it just works out. WW doesn't much care for cooking. I do. She's artistic. I can't draw or paint so I cook (and tend the yard). My mother, bless her soul, always used to lament she never let me in the kitchen when I was young. She enjoyed the cook I became. I miss her.

Ken

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yes, blondelle - it was a 3.5 qt French oven. It was just for the two of us. It was pretty full but it worked out fine.

Ken

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Thank you, Ken. I am going to give it a try! Unfortunately, I have an electric stove and cooktop (no gas on my block :(...) so my "big" burner is in the front and the pot doesn't fit on the back because of the oven controls - so I will try the oven. I just don't trust my TT (tiny tyrant). I am thinking 325?

Can't complain too much about DH not cooking - he spends every minute he can attending our landscaping and fixing up our house - so I guess I will keep him!!!

I know what you mean about your mother, too. Mine never got to see me in the kitchen - she would be shocked and proud. Actually, you just got me thinking - my mom was famous for a pork and brown sauerkraut dish with dumplings...sounds like the perfect dish for the french oven!

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No no no Maggie, 200. It's a very low very slow process. 325 will have this done in 2 hours. I have an older electric stove oven as well. I can put this on either the front or back large coil. No (significant) interference with the controls.

DH - Yeah, sounds like a keeper.

I agree, the pork, sauerkraut dumpling dish sounds perfect for a French oven. Let me know when you try it.

Ken

• robinkateb
    18 years ago

Ken thanks so much for the recipe. I am going to make it tonight, with veal as DH does not like lamb, or ratatouille really. Oh well.

Maggie, I disagree with Ken on the oven temp. 200 degrees is just to keep something warm that is already cooked. I do most of my dutch oven braising in the oven at 300 to 325 degrees. Works great. I often prefer it to on the stove. Will you please share the pork and sauerkraut recipe.

-Robin

• garden_graphic_gal
    18 years ago

Robin~I have cooked london broil( covered with bar-b-que sauce in the oven at 200 overnight (7-8 hours) so that I can take it to work for the staff. This produces very tender cooked meats. It also makes great meat for shredding (ie. tacos,wraps). It is a *slow* cooking process, like Ken said.

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Hi - I haven't made the lamb yet (hanging head in shame). Robin at 300 or 325 - how long do you cook it? How did it come out with the veal? I am committed to trying it this weekend - so either 200 or 300-325 I guess depending on how long I cook it?

I am so in the mood for that roast pork now but I don't know how to make it - my one Aunt who still makes it is in the hospital. I never posted in cooking before I think I will give it a try - maybe someone there can help!

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No worries, Maggie (and no shame!) you'll do it. One of the things I don't completely understand but has to be a function of the low/slow process is the sauce that forms in the pot. I have been adding a cup of red wine, a can of tomatoe puree and a couple table spoons of EVOO, some herbs, salt and pepper to a wide variety of meat vegetable combinations. The sauce that results from this is amazing. I don't touch it. No stirring. Nothing. It's like nothing I've ever had. Rich and full. Enjoy!

Ken

• robinkateb
    18 years ago

Maggie, it came out really well with the veal. Turns out DH does not like shank meat much but now likes ratatouille. I did not mention the dish had eggplant in it until after we were done. I made barley with it which was perfect with the rich sauce. Told my 3 1/2 year old that the barley was "puffy rice," and he loved it.

Maggie I think I put it in the oven at around 2 p.m. and we ate around 5 p.m.. I also added a bay leaf, thyme, garlic, onions and chicken stock. Yum!!

-Robin

• kbuzbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds delicious. I'll have to grab some veal next time. Great suggestion!! Interesting idea on the barley as well. The sauce is rich, isn't it??

Ken

• robinkateb
    18 years ago

Made the barley in my 3 1/2 qt LC dutch oven. Just seemed right to do an all LC meal as it came from this thread. Some barley was stuck to the bottom when it was done cooking but after 5 - 10 minutes with the lid on and the heat off it was all fluffy and none was stuck. Guess that will be my new barley pot.

-Robin