Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

Care & Feeding of Anodized?

gardenlad
17 years ago

They just don't make things to last anymore. After only 35 or so years, my old shallow roasting pan with the self-adjusting rack finally bit the dust. Last of my aluminum cookware pieces.

Anyway, after looking at several designs and materials I purchased the Calphalon 13 x 16 covered roaster and rack.

This is the first piece of anodized cookware I've ever owned. So, are there, in all y'all's experience, any special care and feeding methods I should know about?

Much obliged.

Comments (13)

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Don't put it in the dish washer of course. It has been pretty carefree for me. I don't use metal utensils. Food comes off with a plastic scrubber. I remember reading someone advises against Pam or any of those sprays. I am careful about acidic foods like tomato--don't leave them in the pan longer than necessary. I like mine.

• lindac
    17 years ago

You're really going to miss your old shallow roaster!
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started missing it the minute it was in the trash, Linda.

But that hardly helps me take care of the new one.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

Is this Calphalon One anodized infused, gardenlad?

Considering your past posts, I doubt you bought nonstick, so you really don't have to worry about which utensils you use. I still would stay away from cooking spray, even though that's more of a problem with messing up a nonstick surface. Also, no fears about any chemical reaction because the anodized surface prevents that.

Clean-up is pretty much standard. Usually, hot water and dish detergent will loosen baked on food. Sometimes you might need to let it soak a bit. Any stubborn stuff should come right off with Barkeeper's.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't use Pam and its clones, Bean Counter, so that's not a problem.

But the tip about BKF will come in handy, SuzyQ, as I had no idea whether or not that would be safe.

Thanks to the both of you.

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Don't heat 'em up too much - aluminum warps. My favorite 3qt saute pan from 1986 wobbles on the burner and it drives me nuts. Still, I love it for its heat conductivity and light weight.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I find I need to deglaze almost everything in order to keep it clean. Otherwise it's very hard to scrub off.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

gardenlad, my husband is the chef around here, and maybe it's a testosterone thing, but he tends to user higher heat than I would. We've never had any of our anodized aluminum (Calphalon One) warp at all. And again, clean-up (my job) is no different with these pans than with SS.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I doubt it's a testosterone thing. It's more a matter of adjusting from what one is used to. Both SS and cast iron require much lower heat than other materials. My guess is that he hasn't learned to adapt to your cookware.

I rarely cook at more than medium; medium-high if I'm boiling water or the like. But, far as Friend Wife is concerned there are only two positions: Super high and off. I'm overstating the case, of course. But not by much.

A young friend who's also into cooking is the same as me. Only difference between us is that he likes cooking on electric. His wife, on the other hand, will blast the heck out of pots and pans, given half a chance.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

"I doubt it's a testosterone thing. It's more a matter of adjusting from what one is used to. Both SS and cast iron require much lower heat than other materials. My guess is that he hasn't learned to adapt to your cookware."

It was a joke and a fair amount of hyperbole, gardenlad -- just my way of assuaging any fears about warping with your anodized pans. My husband knows his way around the kitchen as well, if not better, than anyone I've known who is a nonprofessional. But yeah, sometimes he could use a reminder to cool it a bit. :-)

So did you inaugurate the new roasting pan for Turkey Day?

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"just my way of assuaging any fears about warping with your anodized pans."

Ahhhh. But it's just the one pan, for now. I'm not in any particular rush to get any others.

" So did you inaugurate the new roasting pan for Turkey Day?"

Nah. Since the kids are gone we don't do holidays as such. Just doesn't seem much point to it.

I wait for the post-holiday sales, and then buy a couple of turkies to use later on. Generally I smoke one of them, and the other either gets roasted or broken down and used for various other dishes.

So, while y'all were gorging on T-giving goodies, we had a crab-stuffed venison loin seared on sprigs of fresh rosemary, Parisian potatoes, and asparagus Louis. As a sop to the holiday I made squash bisque as a starter.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

"Ahhhh. But it's just the one pan, for now. I'm not in any particular rush to get any others."

Well, do excuse my careless pluralization there, pal. :-) As for not being in a rush to buy more, I don't blame you. We're not any more in love with the few Calphalon One and earlier anodized than we are with our SS, of which we have an assortment. In fact, our oldest is a complete set of Lo-Heet, a brand that is no longer, given to us by my aunt and uncle for our wedding. It was my uncle's company, and my dad used to sell it for a while. It was one of those early "waterless" SS that was sold only through house parties/demos and at exhibitions.

"Generally I smoke one of them"

I'll refrain from a very stale joke here. :-)

Loved your T-Day menu!

• gellchom
    17 years ago

I received the calphalon anodized 7-qt sauteuse as a gift, and I've used it a few times (it's SO big!). I find that it cooks a lot faster than my other pans, both on the stove and in the oven. In one dish, the chicken was cooked too mushy, and in the other, even worse, the cholent burned.
    I was at Williams-Sonoma the other night and asked the experts, who confirmed that my suspicion that this stuff cooks faster was correct. I wanted to know how to adjust; time or temperature? Temperature, they said; I think it was oven 25 degrees lower, stove rarely higher than medium. I suppose it couldn't hurt to check earlier, too.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths