Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Craft Cookware (from Home Show)

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 1:00

I bought the basic beginner Kitchen Craft Cookware at the HOme Show a couple yrs ago. I was so hungry and tired when I sat down to watch the demo that everything that was demonstrated looked so good and easy. The quality seems good but I don't care for the shape. The biggest disappointment is the Kitchen Kutter (chops up the veggies to make a salad - looks like a grinder). I went back to the Home Show last yr to let the gal know that the Kitchen Kutter would not work. She demo'd it again and I went home and tried it out but I just ended up with a big mess. She made it look so easy. There were a couple other people there who also said that they had a hard time using their Kitchen Kutter. Does anyone else have this cookware and do you use the Kitchen Kutter? I may have to donate it to Goodwill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Craft Cookware (from Home Show)

Hi - My wife wants a set of Kitchen
Craft cookware. Would you like to
sell your set?
Thanks,

o

I have a large set of the West Bend Kitchen Craft Waterless Cookware that was my mother-in-law's but she only used maybe one or two pieces before she fell and had to go to a nursing home. It's the Deluxe Set shown here http://www.cookforlife.com/products.cfm#deluxe which is the Basic Set and Family Set. I also have the Gormet Cooker, Liquid Core Electric Skillet. Are you still looking for a set still?

o

I bought the kitchen cutter off ebay, and find it difficult to use - I boxed it up and will probably sell it back on ebay. I wonder if anyone likes those things? In theory, they seem like a good idea.

o

I have sold my set of cookware above so there is no need to contact me about it any longer. Thank you for your response.
Karen Norton

o

• Posted by
    Donna Beavers
    (david@grm.net) on
    Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 10:57

I am looking for Kitchen Craft Cookware for my daughters for Christmas. It does not have to be an entire set. I would be interested in buying a set of knifes also. Donna Beavers

o

gypsyrose and lazycook (or anyone else!),

I saw the Kitchen Kutter at a County Fair this summer and thought it looked interesting. (But I didn't realize how hard they were to use!)

If either of you still have your Kitchen Kutter, I might be interested in buying it to give it a try. I also have pawpaw seeds to trade!

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Dave

o

I'm not sure if anyone's still following this thread. It's unfortunate to see that so many have a hard time with the Kitchen Kutter. I have one, which I got a few years ago with my purchase of the West Bend cookware. I love the cookware and the Kitchen Kutter. It's so hard to find 100% stainless steel cookware anymore. I use mine every day, and it still all shines like brand new, which I really like, since I always fancy myself as a TV cooking show (er, um, but without the cooking show :) )

For those who are interested, I will say that the Kitchen Kutter IS a great tool, but of course like any good tool, it does require some talent to get proficient with it. I will offer a couple of pointers based on my experience:

1) Use good, cold, crisp foods. Nothing shreds cabbage for cole slaw better than the Kitchen Kutter, but if you want a good product, you need uniformity. That's hard to acheive with cabbage, because the leaves get progressively softer the closer to the surface you are. Quartering the cabbage before you start shredding, thus keeping it to small manageable sizes, when shredding, and then holiding it tightly together as you shred, oriented in such a way so that the grinding motion of the tool tends to compact the leaves, seems to yeild the bst results.

2) Product orientation / positioning - I've noticed the tool tends to handle foods differently depending on how you position them while cutting / shredding. I suspect this is by design. Assuming you crank right-handed, the tool tends to "drag" foods when oriented toward you, and to compact them when oriented away. Slicing works well when it's dragging the blade over the food, but shredding tends to work better when it's compacting it, so try holding your foods in different positions. I also tend to rotate foods, like a potato, when shredding, so as to get the highest degree of mechanical advantage from the machine as it works. Once you get the hand of it, you can shred an entire potato for hash brown and waste NOTHING but the paper-thin peel of a Russett potato, but it does take practice.

3) Did I mention COLD? This is particularly important for foods like cheese, which tend to get gummy if they're at room temperature. The shredder likes good, hard foods, and you can accommodate this be having your cheddar cheese, for example, good and cold when you shred. Other foods, like potatoes, don't so much need to be cold as nice and firm (which a good potato should be anyway). This thing will shred the heck out of a stalk of broccoli, which is GREAT for broccoli-cheese soup. I can do all my food prep for a huge pot (small commercial recipe) in under ten minutes, broccoli, cheese, and onoins.

4) Lose the little metal safety cover. It will get in your way most of the time, and if you hold your food and your tool properly (which you should always do with any instrument in the kitchen), you won't get your fingers in the wrong place to begin with.

5) Use as smooth a surface as you can find to mount the base. I like to use my glass cooktop. wipe it with a damp cloth before you secure the suction cup, and you'll have an airtight seal you won't break no matter how hard or fast you crank on it. This feature alone is GREAT, because, as someone with commercial foodservice experience, one of my big gripes with most "home" kitchen tools is that they're too light and / or too flimsy. My big commercial meat slicer, for example, might way 70 lbs, but all that weight also means it won't slide all over the place when I'm trying to slice some big honkin' beef brekset on it. The Kitchen Kutter, with that handy duction device and its sturdy construction gives me the utility of the larger, permanently-mounted roatry food processor I had in my restaurant kitchen, only it's small and portable, so it's not in the way. :)

6) Use appropriately sized foods. You'll notice at the dmonstrations that the demonstrator has carefully chosen, for example, the butternut squash (?) fo rmaking that yummy squash salad. Often times, the ones we're tempted to pick up in the supermarket are larger (fatter), and don't fit as well into the tool. No problem, just slice it in half lengthwise. When shredding, start it out perpendicular to the machine (on top of the drum), and as you work your way in, spin it around so that the peel is away from you, and then begin lower its angle to the drum and allow it to clean out the meat of the squash right down to the peel. This method of adjusting position and angle and changing pressure as you go is what I refer to as "feeding" the machine, and it's something you kind of have to get a feel for. Remember, the demonstartors do that show ten times a day, six days a week, 40 weeks a year, so they get lots of practice. :) Feeding the machine too fast or with too much pressure will tear up your food; feeding it too slow or with too little pressure will cause it to turn semi soft foods into much. This is the only home kitchen tool I've ever seen that can truly feather-shred cheddar cheese and leave it light and fluffy as goose-down... and the drum will nearly wipe clean witha damp sponge... wow.

7) When shredding cheese, especially feather-shredding, as I just mentioned, get that stuff right back in the fridge ASAP. Cheese gets sticky very quickly when it's shredded up and exposed to the warm air.

8) Last and certainly not least, when you see this thing at a trade show or fair, ASK the demonstrator to let you try it out. Most of them are really easy to work with and are all too glad to help make you a pro. After all, nothing sells his cookware better than an utterly delighted customer.

Okay... One lass thing, about the feather-shredded cheddar... Try this yummy little snack with your Kitchen Kutter, the finest shredding drum, the largest pot and lid in your set and the following ingredients: 1/3 C coconut oil (yes, coconut, and stop crying about the fat content already-- IT'S GOOD FOR YOU! You can get the really good organic stuff at Wal-Mart for about $15, or the regular stuff for about $7.. The choice is yours, I prefer the organic, but I'm that kinda guy :) )... 1/2 C Popping corn (yes, they actually still make it, and after this you, like I, will forever scoff at microwave popcorn... Use the good stuff, I recommend Trail's End from the Boy Scouts or Oville Redenbachaer's)... 2 oz. extra shart cheddar cheese (oh, hell, just buy a 1 lb block and shred off as much of that sucker as you like :) )... 1 oz (a good sized pinch; a couple fo tablespoons) of grated parmesan cheese (this is one time I'll actually recommend the dry, powdery stuff you get in the store over freshly grated)... OR... 1 tablespoon of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (I buy this in big spice jars at BJ's wholesale).... and sea salt... Yes, SEA SALT. You can buy disposable grinders from McCormick in the spice aisle, but once your addicted to it (and you will be) you'll want a nice refillable grinder. You can get one from William's Sonoma. Don't use a pepper grinder-- Sea salt is MUCH harder and will destroy the carbide blades in a papper grinder... WS is the only place handy I've ever actually seen a real, bona-fide SEA SALT grinder.... $40, get over it... You won't be sorry.

Before you being, feather shred your cheese and set it aside in the fridge so it won't get sticky or clump up. In your largest Kitchen Craft pot, begin heating the oil over high heat. After a minute or so, throw two kernels into the oil and replace the lid. When you hear both kernels pop, you oil is ready. Immediately add the remaining kernels, all at once, and replace the lid with the steam vent OPEN. You'll hear then sizzle and almost immediately begin to pop. Raise the lid "SLIGHTLY" as the corn pops to allow excess steam to escape. This keeps it from getting chewy. Kill the heat. Don't wait for it to stop popping-- There's plenty of heat left in the cleat on that pan to finish popping the corn (that's why I love these pans.) You can shake it a little, if you feel the need, to ensure that all the unpopped kernels get to the bottom.

Once the corn is popped, immediately dump it into a large serving bowl. Add 10-15 turns of sea salt (on the finest grind setting), then toss in the parmesan cheese or Ranch seasoning. Finally, very quickly toss in the cheddar cheese, a few pinches at a time. It won't turn orange like Cheetos, but turst me, IT's IN THERE. It will just stick to all the popcorn nicely. No, you won't need any butter, TRUST me... I'm a butter lover and you won't need any.

So, there you go... A tasty snack and a chance to play with all kinds of things in the kitchen. I'm surprised I haven't seen Alton Brown with one of these on his show. I'm so jealous of that guy.....

Wow I hope someone's still following this!

Regards all,

-- Jim

o

I have a Kitchen Craft Kitchen Kutter. It's brand new never been opened. I'm wanting to sell it only because I want to go home for Christmas. If I am able to sell the Kitchen Kutter at a reasonable price it will allow my Christmas wish will be fulfilled. I'm going to try to sell it on ebay. I just don't know how much to ask for it. Any advice? Thanks.

o

Well, how much will it cost to get home for Christmas?

o

I love my Kitchen Cutter but I primarily use the #2 cone to shred root vegetables and cabbage. A really good tip for your health is never cook root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, beets, rutabaga, turnips, red cabbage (ok, not a root but I like it in the mix). Cooking turns these vegetables to sugar that tastes great but promotes a nice healthy layer of fat around your middle. This layer of fat is invaluable during the winter when you may have to go for days without food. If you're not planning on weekly fasts during the winter then dramatically reduce the sugars in your diet and that fat will disappear like its supposed to. You can eat these vegetables year round if you eat them raw...and so much wonderful nutrition and fiber. These are truly natures nutritional stockpiles.

Take one of each except 2 carrots and 1/4 head cabbage. Like Jim says feed these toward the back of the feed chute and rotate them for complete shredding. Dont peel anything, lots of vitamins and minerals in the peels too; just wash off any dirt. Halve or quarter the larger items. Like Jim says scrunch the cabbage down firmly and start with the outside toward the blade. If you end up with any "skins" left over you can dice them with a knife. The "presentation salad" bowl is perfect for shredding into. I usually alternate pieces of each vegetable and then mix this up by hand when I'm done. This takes about 10-15 minutes, once a week and serves two for about a week.

This makes a very colorful root mix, up to 1/2 gallon, which I keep in a Ziploc in with the veggies. Mix this with your dressing of choice (no HFCS or any other sweeteners) and you have a wonderful brightly colored slaw. Add some pine nuts or any other raw chopped nuts if you like. I have only found a few grocery store brands of dressing available without sugars: Newmans Own Light Italian, Ken's Steak House Lite Northern Italian, the OrganicVille brands available at Costco and two Trader Joe brands - Goddess and Tuscan Italian.

Throw a handful on top of every salad you make...you're eating lots of salad for your health too, aren't you? Throw a handful into your protein blender drink. Yes, you could be having a nutritious morning beverage instead of that cereal or bagel and cream cheese.

Let me know if you think of other uses.

Eat to liveleaner and longer!

o
RE: Kitchen Craft Kitchen Kutter

I just bought my Kitchen Kutter on ebay a few day ago. At first my salad looked terrible, tomatoes were ugh. Everything looks so messy. Then my neighbor brought over 30 bags of carrots and away I went. I am experimenting with the different cones. I cut the carrots into 3 inch pieces and feed them into the back of the cones and I got nice size slivers of carrots to dehydrate. My dehydrator has been working for two days. My puppies love them as healthy treats, hubby likes them too. I am watching the videos on the internet utube and learned where my mistakes were. Still am amateur, but
enjoy using it. Now I have to find a receipe for carrot soup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here