Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apilco Porcelain?

Posted by mateo21 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 23:58

Hello all, and I'm a long time lurker first time poster here at GardenWeb... I have a dilemma about my new porcelain dishes. I received (for wedding presents) a beautiful set of Apilco porcelain.

I went with porcelain after a rather decent amount of research into durability, beauty, and longevity (style wise) and settled on porcelain (Apilco, by brand, was an after thought -- but as we were register at Williams-Sonoma it just happened, so-to-speak). Myself and my wife are... well, less than pleased with their durability. We've had them for about two months and we've had 2 broken dishes and 3 big chips (off of separate dishes), and aren't too happy!

OUr previous set was Pfaltzgraf which we had for about 4 years and maybe broke a bowl, maybe two. What gives? I worked at a kitchen store that carried Revol, and I've seen stacks of those plates hit the floor and all survive, but the Apilco, is it just that "soft"? Is this a brand problem?

I thought I was going into this with a reasonable impression of what these were going to be like and thus far we are not pleased... help! Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apilco Porcelain?

I have no experience with Apilco dishes. However, I have used the same Apilco souffles for the past thirty years (and very frequently now that we have chickens and need ways to use all the eggs!) and the souffles and ramekins have not a single chip. So, I'm wondering a) are dishes made of different compounds than bakeware; or b) has the formula for Apilco changed in such a way as to make it more brittle? Have you gone to Chowhound or looked at Williams-Sonoma reviews? Apilco has been used commercially in France, so I would expect it to be more durable than in your experience. I'm sorry to hear of this. Oh, do you have different dishwasher than you had with your other dishes? Are the dishes coming out of the dishwasher chipped?

o
RE: Apilco Porcelain?

I wonder if Apilco has changed their formulation. I have Apilco I bought in the '80's, still going strong, looking like the day I bought them. In any case, Williams Sonoma has an excellent return policy. You should bring your defective dishes back to them.

If you are looking for durable plain porcelain dishes, I honestly would check out Ikea's 365+ porcelain dishes. Astonishingly cheap. Incredibly durable, real feldspar porcelain, I think made in Turkey. They don't have the Apilco "name" but you will be surprised at their quality and durability.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here