Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
help_me_gw

Help: Sam's Club 's 'Member's Mark' Tri Ply stainless cookware?

Help_Me
19 years ago

Hello,

I am considering buying tri-ply stainless cookware but cannot afford All Clad. I was at Sam's Club recently and saw the Member's Mark tri-ply stainless set for $129. (It had 11 pieces). Does anyone have any comments on this set? I'm trying to decide if I should get this set or Calph Tri Ply Stainless.

Also, if I were to get only one item, which is more versatile: the saute pan or the frying pan? And, should it be 3 quart (which is usually 10 inches wide) or the 12 inch frypan? (We are a family of 4 with itty bitty kids who don't eat much). And do I really need to replace my stainless saucepans and stockpot (they have some kind of core on the bottom though not completely covering the base) with tri ply counterparts?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (12)

• lindac
    19 years ago

You get what you pay for....
    Why do you need a new "set" of cookware?
    I would get the 10 inch fry pan....but neither All Clad nor the Sam's special.
    I suspect that your stock pot and sauce pans are perfectly fine.
    As for little bitty kids....they will be big honkin' teen agers before you can say boo....and will eat anything....as long as there is lots of it!
    Get yourself a nice 10 inch non stick fry pan and wait a bit for the rest.
    Linda C

• mariend
    19 years ago

I agree with Linda C--if you need a big frying pan, place like Target/Walmart/Kmart you can get a good one fairly inexpensive. As to replacing your cookware, I wouldn't until you really need new ones. Your ideas will change as to what you want later. As a senior citizen I have bought many sets over the years, and now I try to buy only what I really need. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

• awm03
    19 years ago

I read over & over not to get a set of cookware. But last year I bought a 13 piece Costco set...and wouldn't you know I use every piece. I am thrilled with the quality. It's probably not All-Clad, but it's 10 times better than my old stuff and a lot less expensive than buying individual pieces. My previous good pots were stainless with some kind of core on the bottom, but they weren't nearly as nice as the Costco set. The Costo set heats much more evenly. I think you can do a Google search and find info on that Sam's set. I recall the reviews have been very good.

There are some good reasons for ignoring the conventional wisdom of "don't buy a whole set."
    1. All of your pots & pans are warped, old, and have no heat distribution properties (in other words, food burns).
    2. You bought a new ceramic cooktop and you need cookware with flat bottoms.
    3. You don't require the absolutly perfect cookware for certain tasks
    4. You want to save money.

I say if the set feels good to you, the pieces are a step up from your old cookware, and the price is attractive, then go for it. As your cooking needs/techniques change over the years you can always add or switch out.

• tojohnso
    19 years ago

I would like to read some answers to Help-Me's question, about the Tri-Ply stainless set at Sams, as I am interested in a less expensive alternative to All Clad.

• aberwacky_ar7b
    19 years ago

The Sam's Tri-ply set is a good one--and extrememly good value--and well worth the money, especially if you're cooking with run-of-the-mill cookware or are just starting out.

The construction is very similar to All-Clad and Calphalon's Tri-ply stainless lines. The middle layer of aluminum provides even heating all the way up the sides of the pan, and the stainless means it's easy to clean--you can put it in the dishwasher with no problem.

I am an avid cook (used to be a food writer), who is very particular about my cookware, and if I didn't already have a lot of cookware (All-Clad, Calphalon, etc.) I would have bought a set for myself. I did get one for my sister, who loves it.

Leigh

• aweinman
    19 years ago

Can anyone tell me if 'Member's Mark' Tri Ply stainless cookware is available in the Sam's clubs located in Ontario, Canada. Around Toronto specifically?
    If so, how much do they go for?

I would like to get All-Clad, but cannot afford it. I have been looking at Henckels new Classic Clad cookware also, which is also multi-clad all the way up the sides.

Thanks,
    Allan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen Renovation!

• blondelle
    19 years ago

Also look at Cuisinart's Multiclad line. Very good reviews at Amazon. Cooks really well, is fully clad, and very easy to clean. It's also gorgeous cookware, and very reasonable.

• mrsmarv
    19 years ago

For Ontario, Canada...go to samsclub.com and search for Member's Mark cookware. It will let you know whether the item is available in one of your local Sam's Club stores.

• aweinman
    19 years ago

Hi mrsmarv,

They do not list stores located in Canada. So unfortunately, I cannot check.

I was hoping someone who lived nearby, could let me know. I live in Ottawa, and will be visiting the area in a few weeks, and would like to know if I should wait to buy that set, or try to buy something local.

Thanks,
    Allan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen Renovation

• Anne_in_SF
    19 years ago

There are a couple of online retailers that you can get the set through. Do a web search on "Members Mark Clad Cookware" and they will come up. They are slightly more expensive, ~US$170 versus ~US$130 at the stores, and will also charge for shipping.

And for those folks who aren't Sam's Club members...here is a nifty little trick... Go to your local WalMart and buy a gift card for $130+whatever your local tax is, then use that gift card at Sam's Club (you should make sure that the Sam's Club has the cookware in stock and on the floor at the time you want to buy it, before you bother to go to Walmart to get the gift card).

But Walmart/Sam's Club is evil!!! So I'd personally be more inclined to get the Cuisinart Multiclad (very easy to get a 10-12 piece set off of ebay for around $200).

• Sam Sanibel
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bought my set about 8 years ago. Sam's Club Members Mark all-clad pots & pans with solid tops.

I love ever second I cook with them. My neighbor has a large set of All-Clad.

More new is just as good for 20% of the price

My wife thought the pans were quite heavy but was been won over and also loves them.

My local Sam's Club seems to only stock them every 2-3 years.

Yesterday they had a 12 piece set Member's Mark by Tramottin. 7 pots & pans along with 5 covers. Every pot or pan had a cover that fit properly.

For nonstick pans I also go to Sam's Club, but NOT a swt. Sam's has a small commercial pots & pans section usually in a back corner.

I get my non-stick fry pans there. Also if I need a really big all-clad like fry pan.

The nonstick do NOT last forever. None do. But they cook perfectly.