Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanb_gw

Pros and Cons of Copper Cookware?

deanb
18 years ago

I've been thinking about getting some copper cookware and since I've never used copper I'd really appreciate some opinions. I have a rather large collection of cookware like All-Clad, Calphalon-One, etc. and I wonder how much copper outperforms what I already have. How hard is it to maintain the copper? In general, what are the pros and cons?

Comments (11)

• lindac
    18 years ago

Copper must have a lining to be safe to cook acid foods in....most often tin. That lining is fragile. Tin is a soft metal, and has to be replaced from time to time ( by a tinker....if you know such a person).
    Other than the nuisance factor, copper is great! wonderful conductor of heat, looks fabulous even tarnished....
    but....
    Linda C

• akastj_northern_ca
    18 years ago

There are a number of threads already on the Forum that discuss copper / copper core cookware. I located them by using the Search facility for the term copper.

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: THS Forum Search / copper

• velodoug
    18 years ago

Many lines of copper cookware such as Mauviel, Bourgeat and Falk are available with stainless linings. Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum so it will heat more quickly and more evenly than All-Clad or Calphalon. Maintenence is as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. You can treat it like your grandmother's silver and spend endless hours polishing or you can treat it like All-Clad MC and just give it a quick going over with a scouring pad. In either case it looks fabulous. The only downside to copper cookware, IMHO, is the cost.

(I'd like to see a reference to the caution about using copper on an electric smoothtop. It's hard to believe that stainless and aluminum are OK and copper isn't.)

• akastj_northern_ca
    18 years ago

VeloDoug,

Did you bother to read the THS Forum Search threads I linked above? If not, I suggest you do...

TJ

• lindac
    18 years ago

I was wondering the same thing.....much too much trouble to read all the stuff you linked to.....
    Couldn't you just answer the question....IF you indeed know the answer?
    Linda C

• velodoug
    18 years ago

TJ,

Yes I did. What's your point?

Doug

• HanArt
    18 years ago

That's TJ's MO. Would be nice to get a straight, simple answer every now & then.

• eandhl
    18 years ago

From my experience as above stated, Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum so it will heat more quickly and also HOTTER! I have some SS All Clad and cuisinart with the copper disc. I use the Cuisinart for all faster cooking and stirfry because it heats so much faster, and I can sear better in the cuisinart but I can not simmer in it. If you want to keep copper pristine yes it is extra work but there is also something very nice about the patina it develops.

• User
    18 years ago

I have Calphalon Tri-ply Copper, and I love it. It looks great, goes into the DW without any problems, and even cooks well! (I know, I know.....don't even start that thread.) It does discolor unevenly, especially from tomato products, but it cleans up with Twinkle. You can get some good deals on copper cookware on eBay.

(TJ is the forum narc, just ignore him)

• solarpowered
    18 years ago

I have several copper pieces, and they've basically turned into kitchen decorations. I can't stand how much effort it takes to keep them looking nice.

On the other hand, I have some Demeyere Atlantis seven-layer cookware, with a 2 mm copper core, and I love it! It cooks great, gives very even heat across the bottom of the pan, responds instantly to changes in the heat, and cleans up great in the dishwasher. To me, it has all the advantages of copper, none of the drawbacks, and goes in the dishwasher as well. Now that's my definition of practically-perfect cookware!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor