Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanb_gw

Calphalon One

deanb
19 years ago

I've had my Calphalon One for about six months now and so far so good. The stuff performs amazingly and with a little BarKeepers Friend it continues to look new after a lot of use. There were a few threads in this forum after C1 came out but I haven't seen anything recently. How is your C1 working for you?

Comments (16)

• photobob
    19 years ago

Upside: Cooks very well, pretty much as expected. Durable and cleans up easily.

Downside: The >bleepbleepbleepOverall, I'm happy with the C1 pieces I have. But, they're just part of the mix of good cookware I own.

• davejnh
    19 years ago

I was just looking on Amazon for a Calphalon One grill pan and noticed they have a seperate nonstick C1 line. I thought all C1 was nonstick, is this something new?
    DJ

• deanb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

When Calphalon introduced the C1 their advertising sort of implied that the C1 was replacing their top of the line hard anodized and their nonstick since those lines were discontinued. Then in July they introduced the C1 nonstick. This was a clever bit of marketing. The regular C1 is not nonstick. I don't really mind though because the C1 performs very well and it does clean up easily.

• blazedog
    19 years ago

I like nonstick and sticky (if that's the right term) depending on what I am cooking.

I don't like the glass lids -- I think the nonstick C1 has glass and the regular C1 has stainless lids - or perhaps I have them reversed.

I LOVE Calphalon but hate glass lids -- Why do they use them on upscale cookware?

Dean -- Does C1 release better than regular stainless but still produce a fond?

• deanb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Blazedog,

The short answer is yes C1 releases better than stainless and produces a better fond. Stainless, even a thin coat, acts as an insulator compared to aluminum because it's a much poorer heat conductor than aluminum. The difference in performance between C1 and good quality stainless clad cookware like All-Clad is not night and day; it's subtle but it's there. As to releasing better than SS, that too is subtle. If you use SS properly it will release well too.

Regards

• dnaleri2
    19 years ago

Blazedog, I agree. Why does Calphalon make such expensive cookware and then give it a glass lid??? It p*sses me off.
    I think everyone that agrees should write to Calphalon and let them know what we think about those cr*ppy glass lids.

• garden_graphic_gal
    19 years ago

Check out the link below to get an explaination of the differences between the anodized and the non-stick.
    I love my C1~roaster,square grill pan and flat bottom wok and plan to add more once my kitchen remodel is completed.
    And don't forget that C1 has a lifetime warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calphalon One

• compumom
    19 years ago

Why do some of you hate the glass lids? What's the downside? I rather like looking at the food cooking.

• compumom
    19 years ago

Why do some of you hate the glass lids? What's the downside? I rather like looking at the food cooking.

• photobob
    19 years ago

Bottom line? It's personal preference.

As long as they fit properly, there's no difference in "performance".

*I* think steel cleans easier. I hand-wash my cookware (to save space in the DW) and find glass needed a bit more attention to remove water spots and look clear and shiny. Small point.

During cooking, I could never see through the steam anyhow, so the visibility of glass never was an issue, for *me*. Not to say this isn't a feature for some...

Accidents happen. Drop a glass lid and it will never dent. Might just break, however. Drop a steel lid and it won't break, but it might dent. Never done either. >shrugLids (and handles too!) may have a temperature restriction for oven cooking. Some glass lids should not be used in oven temps above 350 degrees. If you use your cookware in the oven, you will want to read the manufacturer's recommendations carefully.

I prefer steel and never considered any glass-topped cookware. Others here feel just the opposite. Doesn't really matter. Whatever suits your "style" (cooking AND personal) is the best.

• ysop1016
    18 years ago

Can the glass lids on Calphalon one nonstick go into the dishwasher?

• pratzert
    18 years ago

Lifetime Warranty ! Has anyone here ever used the warranty with any success? I have several "Pro" non-stick pans that are no longer "Non-Stick" and want to send them back. But don't want to spend the postage if they are going to refuse to replace them. They have not been abused, just worn out !
    Thanks, Tim

• deanb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had one Professional non-stick replaced. I called their customer service # (1-800-809-7267) and they even sent me a Fed-Ex shipping label so shipping was free. No questions, just a new pan.

• lucyk
    18 years ago

I put my glass Calphalon lids in the dishwasher and they come out great. They don't take up any more room than a dinner plate. My only complaint is that many of the lids are so close in size to one another, that it sometimes takes a minute to find the right one for the pot I'm using.

• blondelle
    18 years ago

Be aware that the Calphalon One is infused with the same PTFE coating that's used in making Teflon. It's not to the same degree as their nonstick, but it's still on the inside and outside of the cookware. You are still being exposed to this if you cook with this cookware.

• chitownfifi
    18 years ago

I love all 8 of my C1 pieces with the exception of the grill pan. I used it once and immediately returned it. It was horrible - I tried to make hamburgers and they stuck to the pan so terribly. It took a half hour for me to clean it (it was the double burner type). I exchanged it for the All Clad - which is actually cheaper - and I LOVE LOVE it!!!!