Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Smells from Unglazed Cookware

Posted by zette (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 19:15

I have an unglazed casserole pan with a lid which I bought used without opening it. It smells like soap inside- big time. In fact I had to throw out the squash I baked in it. How do I get the smell out? I've tried bleach and baking soda so far.(Very strong concentrations.)Would charcoal work? Would it stain it black?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Smells from Unglazed Cookware

Since you know it absorbs oder (and presumably chemicals too) I would not use bleach or other chemicals that you wouldn't want to eat!

Two ideas to try: Start with lukewarm water and then slowly add hot water to it (so it won't crack) with baking soda added, let soak, and then toss the water. If the smell seems to lessen, try it a few more times.

Also, stuff it full of crumpled newspapers and let it sit for a few days, replacing the newspaper once a day - this is how to get smells out of plastic, but it's easy enough it's worth a try.

o
RE: Removing Smells from Unglazed Cookware

I'd put it into the dish washer.....no detergent and 1/2 cup of lemon juice.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here