Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
decent flour sifter?

Posted by asolo (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 17:23

Been through a number these over the years after mom's seventy-year-old unit finally wore out. All I've been able to find are real junkers that don't work well even when new and don't last anyway.

Any of you folks know of a good one?

(From reading previous post from 2007, I am aware that many people don't sift anymore. Don't need to hear it. I just want one.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: decent flour sifter?

I just use a fine metal sieve. The sifters on the market now are real junk, I agree.

o

I recently got an OXO, mostly because it has the covers for both ends. It's nothing like a good old sifter. It's the kind you shake back and forth, which is easier on the hands than a lever sifter. I don't care for crank sifters. Sometimes it needs a good whack on the side because it gets stuck, but I think that is with heavier, stickier flours, like garbanzo flour. I don't need to sift all purpose or bread flour often. It's a lot better than most of the sifters I've looked at recently. Easier than just using a sieve. It's not "junk", but I don't know if it'll last 70 years (I won't).

o

plllog, I'm curious as to what you make with garbanzo flour. I see it at our middle eastern stores and always wonder. I'd love to see a few recipes.

o

Lehman has the old fashioned flour sifters. Not cheap, but good cooking utensils usually aren't.

o

Calliope....thanks for the tip about Lehman's. Never would have found it. Now I have to decide if I have any $50.00 flour-sifting problems. Do notice that model, apparently their best, is back-ordered so somebody other than me must be interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here