Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of knife sharpener do you like?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 17:20

I'd like to get a knife sharpener, nothing fancy or too pricey. What kind should I get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of knife sharpener do you like?

Type "knife sharpener" into the search box on this forum. This has been well covered previously.

o

Oh thanks so much. I didn't think of that.

o

Check out the "Presto 08800 Pro EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener". 93 customer reviews on amazon.com giving owner's opinion on the product--almost all reviews positive. I've been very happy with mine, all my knives are now wonderfully sharp.

o

For more info on this topic than any sane person needs, check out Steve's Sharpening Site (google that term, or follow the link)

The electric sharpener he recommends is a Chef's Choice 120.

He also recommends/sells a paper wheel system. If you have the workshop space to store this, it's an excellent and nearly foolproof system to make your knives really sharp. I have one, and am really impressed as to how quickly it makes even the dullest knife nice and sharp. I can use and have used a whetstone, but that's very tedious and technique-dependent. With a paper wheel system, results are quick and consistent.

Only drawback to the paper wheel system is that it does take up some bench space in the workshop, and it flings little bits of grit away from you. (I didn't know that when I got it. First time I used it was in the kitchen. Lotsa little speckles on the wall which my wife pointed out to me...the machine and I were soon thereafter banned to the workshop :)

Here is a link that might be useful: sharpening machines.

o

In the old days, my mom used the bottom of a ceramic bowl to sharpen knives and scissors blades. This is what many asians did.

You want inexpensively? I use a steel file like the one shown at the link below. Purchased it from a hardware store in the tool section. Works very well. Just rinse it afterward to wash away steel dust.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96691-000000273-06601&lpage=none

o
Forgot an important detail..

Forgot to mention that if you have high quality knives, you shouldn't be using the steel file.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here