Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airedale4mom

8pc Tramontina Tri-Ply Cookware

airedale4mom
13 years ago

I just bought a set at Walmart on clearance for $109. They also had the SS 4pc multi-cooker for $30something. I guess they aren't going to carry it in the stores anymore so they're clearing out whatever stock they have.

Some reviewers on the Walmart site said they won't be carrying it online anymore either so this might be a good time to buy it at a discount.

Comments (12)

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up. Cooks Illustrated magazine rates this set as one of the best buys for excellent cookware.

• dees_1
    13 years ago

I just snagged the same set for $109. I don't need it but I love the stuff! I have the 12" saute and now I have more.

Buy it while you can....I don't know why they're not going to carry it but the Tramontina TriPly is comparable to AC but sooooo much cheaper!

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Just a head's up that Walmart will be carrying the Tramontina Tri-Ply cookware under a new name, "Better Homes & Gardens Tri-Ply Clad". The company recently moved their manufacturing of this triply cookware to Brazil, and changed the name of the line. The only other changes according to the Tramontina rep are that the handles on the pots are easier to hold onto, and the lids are now glass instead of stainless steel (boo). Also, if you are interested in this line, you must make sure to get the cookware that has the word "Tri-Ply Clad" in the name. If it doesn't have the word "Tri-Ply Clad" in the title, the BH&G Tri-Ply cookware just has the triply in the base, rather than all the up the sides. Right now, there isn't much of a selection at Walmart of the BH&G Tri-Ply Clad cookware--just a 3-qt. covered skillet (saute pan), a 10" open skillet (frypan), and a 10-piece set. But they are just rolling it out, so there should be more in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Homes & Gardens Tri-Ply Clad at Walmart

• John Liu
    13 years ago

There is an oft-overlooked feature of the All-Clads.

The handles are steeply angled and have a "U" shape. The steep angle allows the butt end of the handle to brace against your forearm or the heel of your hand, rather than having your wrist doing all the work. The "U" shape allows your thumb to lock into the "U" and prevent the handle from spinning in a wet grip.

(No, I don't work for All-Clad, and most of my cookware is other brands. I just thought I'd mention this interesting design feature as the purpose is not clear in the showroom, where pans are empty and hands are dry.)

• dees_1
    13 years ago

The Tramontina is a solid handle with the proper shaping to fit comfortably in any size hand. There is a small channel closer to the pan that allows for the "locking" you mentioned.

I find All-Clad's handles really hard to work with and have heard feedback from many other people saying the same. Cookware and knives are very personal choices. Honestly, since I was able to buy such a high quality/performing set for less than one pan of All-Clad, it's a deal!

• sorriso
    13 years ago

What is the difference, besides price, between the Better Homes and Gardens 10-Piece Tri-Ply Clad 18/10 Stainless-Steel Cookware Set for $149 and the Tramontina 10-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set at $249 (on walmart.com)?

Thank you!

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Sorriso - please read my post above in this thread. Also, compare for yourself the two sets to see the different cookware sizes in each one.

• sorriso
    13 years ago

Unbelievable as it may seem I really DID read your post Shannon and am still confused! Sad, isn't it?

I guess I had the impression that since WalMart seemed to be phasing out the Tramontina that that set would have been less expensive than the BH&G and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Even better, the price is $20 less than last week so it looks like my fingers are going shopping at walmart.com. I had been a bit bummed by not finding it at the great $109 price as the OP did but I'm happy to find it at this price.

• sorriso
    13 years ago

It's the 10 piece BH&G with the rollback price to $129. The Tramontina 8 piece is $149.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 piece BH&G

• cj47
    13 years ago

I bought the 10 pc set awhile back. It feels like nice, heavy stuff--but I've been having trouble with the 12 inch saute pan. It doesn't heat up evenly across the width, it's always hotter on one side than the other. I have an induction cooktop, and when I'm using my Staub cast iron dutch oven, the heat is even across the bottom, so it's the pan, not the cooktop. I still use it, but am a bit bummed. The saucepans work fine--of course, because hot spots are not as evident when you are cooking a liquid. It's only the large pan that's problematic, and I only really have trouble when trying to sear or brown food. Have to watch out for the hot spots in the bottom.

Cj

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Has anyone used the new BH&G Tri-Ply Clad cookware?

Has anyone used both BH&G and Tramontina? If so, how do they compare?

Or, how about all three (All-Clad, Tramontina, BH&G)? (I know, asking a lot!)

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

Buehl, I haven't used the BH&G, but when I looked at them in the store, I was turned off by the glass lids. Others may like the glass lids, so it's personal preference. They seem pretty heavy and solidly made though. I do own both All-Clad and Tramontina Triply-clad fry pans and saucepans, and IMHO, they are equally great: both cook really well, handle heat evenly, do not burn things easily (unless I am at fault by leaving things in the pan too long, etc.), are heavy weight, but not so heavy as to be unmanageable. I prefer the handles on the Tramontina, but that is an individual choice. The only pot I do not see them as equals is the stock pots - I do not have an All Clad stock pot so am only going by the All-Clad stock pots I have examined in stores. I prefer my Tramontina stock pot to the All Clad for its weight and the handles. The All-Clad stock pot does not feel as good to me (when I held it in the store); it feels lightweight for its size, and the lid seems thin. Again, just MHO! The All-Clad stockpot is about $300, the Tramontina is $90 (I emphasize I am talking about the Triply Tramontina clad up the sides, not the Tramontina that has triply just in the base).