Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie234_gw

tramontini or all clad for induction range

katie234
9 years ago

I need to buy cookware for a new induction range. I have been searching for weeks. I like the all clad and have read great things about it and it does feel solid. I have read that tramontini try ply is comparable to all clad. I am not able to see this in person. Any input would be appreciated. I have read various forums on the gardenweb but they are a little old and perhaps now with use of either of these cookware lines, someone might have a better opinion. I could mix and match the two sets. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by alex9179 on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 14:33

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I have some All-clad and am happy with it except that the saucepans don't have a pouring lip. I hate it when stuff dribbles down the side! I think the newer D5 corrected this but it uses less aluminum for conduction in favor of 5-ply for even heat distribution...at least that's what they say ;)

I have the 1 qt saucepan, 8 inch skillet, 3 qt sauté, and 6 qt french braiser, really a big sauté, in AC. The last two are my favorites and most used out of my cookware. These were either "try me" pieces at a bargain or deeply discounted.

Tramontina, also, doesn't have a rolled lip. I haven't used this but there are many who like it.

Vollrath Tribute is utilitarian looking but has a thicker aluminum core than the other two. I'm looking at getting a saucier from this line with one of the cheaper lids (Optio). The pricing is MUCH better than the two you are looking at and you get more of the material that counts - aluminum. I'll link to a retailer below. Sometimes Amazon Warehouse will have good deals, too.

Zwilling Truclad or stainless Spirit lines also look good. Darn! Looks like SS Truclad is discontinued but I see some still available at retailers like BB&B.

Calphalon has an induction ready triply. I have a 12" omelet pan I got for $25 but it has warped and spins on the cooktop.

For budget considerations, Ikea 365+ works just fine as far as saucepans/stock pots go. They have a new triply called Sensuell, but I haven't heard how they perform.

I prefer not getting a set because I like to try out different manufacturers. When you find a line you love, THEN get a bunch!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vollrath commercial cookware

• dan1888
    9 years ago

Many options if magnetic will work. From deBuyer carbon steel to Woll Diamond Plus non-stick.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Tramontina makes many different lines of cookware. Here is a link to one that has flared edges. The manufacturer claims these edges aid in pouring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tramontina with flared edge

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I didn't include that line because the OP specified triply cookware that extends up the sides in her description and examples, not clad base only. For example, in a saucier I would prefer a fully clad pan AND a pouring lip. Neither Tramontina or the regular AC stainless line offers both.

For some pots, I think the clad base is just fine. Especially stock pot type pots. One reason why a set is not my first choice.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I agree. There is one All-Clad line that has a pouring lip. However, it has the old French style flat lids, designed by a chef and possibly exclusive to Williams -Sonoma at this point. I will search and see if I can find them online. I didn't investigate at W-S recently when I noticed them.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Ah, Thomas Keller. All-Clad TK.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

It looks like the All-Clad d5 series has a rolled lip also. Sorry, new screen cover on iPad is interfering with my efforts to link. Just search for these on W-S website.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Yes, I mentioned the D5 line and and the material differences in my duplicate post. Darn computer!
    The price between the SS and D5 lines can be significant, phew!

Take advantage of the "try-me" pieces that are offered at lower prices. The D5 3 qt sauté pan is on sale for $120 at W-S.
    The SS version ($100 at W-S) was my favorite pan until our family expanded to 5 and the batch cooking got a little out of hand. Otherwise, wonderfully versatile for frying, braising, sautéing if you don't do the "toss" thing.

For comparison, Vollrath's fully-clad 3 qt Tribute is $88 and not nearly so pretty... but more aluminum.

Here is a link that might be useful: W-S cookware sale

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

I have had induction for years and my favorite pots and pans are traditional Farberware. They may look old fashioned but they work great.

• bookmom41
    9 years ago

I have Cuisinart Multclad pro which works great on my induction--and they are both fully clad and have the rolled rim. I also prefer their handles. The Kitchen forum just had an induction cookware discussion with more input.

Here is a link that might be useful: induction cookware discussion

This post was edited by bookmom41 on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 10:55