Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkmanme

save $$ top-quality pressure cooker/canner

junkmanme
17 years ago

If you've seen the prices on the All-American pressure cooker/canners and don't wish to spend that amount of money, here is how you can get the same thing for a LOT LESS MONEY.

The vintage National pressure cookers made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin years ago use the same basic technology...no gasket to fool with...it's a machined fit for the lid...with turn-screws to secure the lid.

The only difference is the "pressure-relief". The old Nationals had a screw-valve to adjust the pressure relief. It wasn't too handy because you needed to watch it all the time and watch the pressure gauge to keep your pressure "in-line".

All-American (and most others these days) use a weight to vent the pressure automatically. Very Safe and Practical.

If you have an old National gasketless aluminum pressure cooker/canner, you can make it exactly like the high-priced All-Americans very cheaply and simply:

1. remove the National "screw-type" pressure vent. (will probably require a pair of "water-pump pliers" (channel-lock type).

2. into the threaded hole that the National vent came out of (on the lid), install an All-American pressure cooker vent pipe. It uses the same threads as the one you took out. (Will require a 7/16 wrench)

Tighten it securely, but be careful not to overdo it and strip the aluminum threads in the lid.

3. Use the 3-way All-American (or Mirro) pressure cooker weight on the new vent pipe. (flat circular shape with three different settings 5 lb. 10 lb. and 15 lb.

You now have the same cooker as All-American as much less cost.

You can find the parts by doing a search on Ebay.

If you don't have an old National Pressure cooker/canner, you can also find them very reasonably on Ebay. Shipping is expensive on these "heavy" items, so try to find one near where you live.

NOTE: These are the cookers with the "thumb-screw" lock downs, and are the larger pressure cookers.

I've done 3 of these cookers this way and they all work GREAT!!!

Be sure that your pressure gauge is functional so that you can verify the pressure relief of the pressure regulator (3-way weight).

I hope someone can use this information.

Best Regards,

Bruce (Junkmanme on GardenWeb)

Comments (22)

• klimkm
    17 years ago

I love my new modern pressure cooker, use it a lot for soups and stews in a lot less time. Lagostino bought new on ebay and saved lots of $$.
    I don't know why more people don't have a pressure cooker - I am a working full-time mom and it is real time saver for me.

• junkmanme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All!

I tried to post a "link" to this posting at another appropriate forum.

I was unable to do so...All I got was warnings about making "commercial ads" on Garden Web. I was unable to post the "link".

For the record: I have no commercial interest in this posting whatsoever! I was only trying to show other folks how to "save a buck".

Since there has been no interest in this posting, I would like to delete it. Can anyone tell me how to delete a posting?

THANK YOU,
    Bruce (Junkmanme)

• boba
    17 years ago

For Presto and All American Pressure Cooker Parts go this this site, the prices are reasonable.

http://mendingshed.stores.yahoo.net/pressurecookers.html

• junkmanme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bump

• housemouse
    16 years ago

So, you can use the mirro weighted pressure gauge instead of buying a factory All American one? I have a mirro weight, and just got an older All American that has the ejector instead of the vent and weight. I was wondering if I could just use my mirro on it.

• junkmanme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Mirro weight will work just fine (as long as it looks like the one in the picture).

The All American ejector ... I don't know.....not having seen it. If it looks like the All American Vent Pipe and the threads that mount it are the same, it would PROBABLY work fine. However, If I were you, I would get the All American vent pipe. (I know that works!)

The vent pipe from the Mirro will PROBABLY work also. (Look at it closely and compare to the pictures I posted.)
    Be SURE to compare the "threads" where the parts screw into the lid. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN, but get it snug. (If the threads "leak" just a very little when you first heat it up...don't worry. It will most likely seal itself if it is very very close to tight. just DON"T "strip" the threads in the aluminum lid.

Hope this helps.

Happy Canning!
    Bruce (Junkmanme)

• atomicvole
    15 years ago

To add to this you can use the All-American Geared Steam Gauge for Pressure Cookers (Name: 72 (Z000127))
    The All-American company lists the part others sell it as well - https://store.wafco.com/

I cannot verify but the "Side Handle Complete" (Name: 405 (630230)) might be a viable replacement for any missing Side handles for the National.

You can Down Load the All-American manual from here: https://store.wafco.com/ezmerchant/products.nsf/Subjects/Instruction+&+Recipe+Book+-+AAPC for free. It does contain information on the care for your pressure cooker, which I think, applies to the National as well, even about lubricating the mating surfaces with petroleum jelly.

Thank you junkmanme for posting this information, I too now have an excellent pressure canner, brought back from being forgotten on a back shelf.

• oldgranny2
    14 years ago

Hello Bruce- I finally found this link again.
    In 1960 my father fixed up an old National pressure cooker, it has a screw down lid just like the American but has a gasket under the lid. He used the vent tube and the 3 way pressure regulator from a Mirro. It works great. I am 80 and have been using it for the last 47 years. He left the part ON that you suggest removing and removed the one on the left of the picture. I bought a new All American (holds 14 quart jars) and have an older American (holds 8 jars)which is without the vent tube and 3 way regulator. I tried fixing the older American (using your instructions) with some Mirro parts and it wouldn't work. I think it is because the Mirro vent tube has a smaller hole in it than the American (it is also a bit shorter) I sent for and received two American vents and am going to use them (with your instructions) on the old American and an old National (gasketless) I have a big garden and go to the valley for fruit and tomatoes which we can't grow well here. I can for myself and grandkids too. I have an ancient restaurant size (6 burner) Garland gas range and also two big iron grated camp stoves on table legs (2 burners each) that I bring into the kitchen. I can have 7 cookers going at once when I am canning beef. I am going to try and convert about two of my other old cookers. Picking from two more Wards, 3 old Burpees (all with gaskets) and several others I have collected through the years. Our local hardware store can test pressure gauges. I found your articles here very helpful thank you. Lorraine

• garprob
    14 years ago

I have this pressure cooker and one of the plastic screw down things just broke. Can this be replaced? Where would I get a replacement?

• junkmanme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Although I'm NOT ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, I suspect that the knobs for All-American Canners will have the same "threads".
    Look at the following website:

http://allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecannerparts.htm

hope this helps.
    -Junkmanme-

• earthelph
    14 years ago

I had an All-American that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. Thanks to your instruction it has been updated and is ready for use.

• ecuttlers_msn_com
    13 years ago

I have a National Preasure Cooker Eau Clair Wis. #12. It has 6 steel (chrome) wing nuts for the lid and wood handles. The gauge is a National with a outline of a capital dome on the left of the face. It has a ring on the bottom opposite the lineing arrow. Can you tell me how to find what year it was made and what the ring is for ( maybe to help pour)?

• junkmanme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ed,
    I have a National Pressure Canner which is the same as you describe...except mine doesn't have the ring at the bottom. (I suppose it is for pouring....dunno.)
    My guess is that these were made in the 1930s before WW II.
    (just a guess.....could be late 40s, early 50s. )
    To my knowledge, they don't have any Serial Numbers on them...so I don't think you could identify the particular year they were made....They were made for quite a long while. Probably only someone who worked in the foundry for decades could even hazard a guess as to year of manufacture....and I expect most if not all of those people have grown old and passed on.
    Not much help, I guess. I wouldn't concern myself with that. The important thing is that they work...and VERY WELL, too ! HAPPY CANNING/COOKING !!!

• Joe3009
    10 years ago

Junkmanme!

Great post! And the perfect instructions for updating a vintage pressure canner.

• junkmanme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked at this "TuffWare". They just DON'T COMPARE FAVORABLY to the All-American OR the old National Pressure Cooker/Canners that we have discussed HERE.

A different "Breed-of-Cat" !!!
    ( and NOT so useful as these OLD Nationals.)

-Junkmanme-

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

The largest Tuffware I see in the link above is 9 liters, or approx. 10 quarts, right? Not large enough to qualify as canners I don't think. You might get the test number of 4 one quart jars inside, bottom rack, and get the lid on, but generally a 12 quart is about the smallest size that will accommodate those - 4 one-quart jars is the standard for checking whether the pan can be used as a pressure canner or only a cooker for food not in jars.

• gardnpondr
    8 years ago

SO glad to find this because someone has gifted me with one and he said it's old but like the one I had sitting in a chair by my kitchen table. He said it was like that one but old and not as big. SO I am thinking it may be this brand to. I saved this link in my favorites so when I get it from him I will know what to do. THANK YOU!!!!!

• Nancy Lovell
    7 years ago

Thank you for this information. I didn't know where to turn, or what to do with my antique National Pressure Cooker. Now I do! So excited!

• gardnpondr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would dearly LOVE to find one of these in the tall ones that you can use so many jars in. I mean I would do me one more happy dance for sure! I have went to estate sales and auctions and thrift stores to no avail. Just praying on day before I get too old to can God blesses me with one! In the meantime I keep borrowing my friends that I am thankful will allow me to borrow hers. She never uses hers and so tempted to ask her what she would take for it.
    I had said up above someone had gifted me one but he found what he was looking at that day in all his stuff and it was some sort of a paint sprayer. He does say he has a pressure canner though but heaven knows when he will ever dig it out. lol He has enough stuff to furnish 5 houses. lol He's such a giver though so God really blesses him.

• Brandon
    6 years ago

Would I be able to convert this pressure cooker as you described? Also does anyone know what make/model and capacity this thing is? It's at a local auction and I'd like to research it before making the drive. Thanks.

• HU-69370511
    2 years ago

I have an old Capitol Canner Pressure Cooker that looks a lot like the National brand. it has a pre-set type steam valve on it but I'm not sure what the pressure is and I would like to retrofit to the All American style. The only question that i can't seem to find the answer to is the thread size. if I unscrew this one it looks like 1/8 inch threads and everything I've seen so far are 3/8 threads

Please advise

Gary

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County