Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Mauviel m'150s and m'250c

Gooster
9 years ago

I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand these are relatively good stainless clad copper pans. Anybody have any experience? I've been using a lot of Demeyere lately, but I'm intrigued on adding copper. Will I notice a huge difference -- say with the saute pan? I'll check at Chowhound as well.

Comments (12)

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To followup on my own post, I happened to go to Normandy this month and went to Villedieu les Poeles, the home of Mauviel. There is a factory store open M-F, closed for two hours at lunch. It is adjacent to the factory and just outside the village center. However, I did not go there -- we arrived at closing at the next day was a holiday.

• alexrander
    9 years ago

Get the 2.5 mm

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Gooster,
    I know people like to compare materials and heating times, but my favorite thing about cooking with copper is how quickly it cools down when removed from the flame. That feature has saved many a sauce.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank @alexr: in my followup research, I see that 2.5 to 3mm is the optimal thickness. So I'll be seeking this out in the future.

I do have a copper disk bottomed Demeyere saucepan, and I am looking forward to a true lined copper alternative.

• alexrander
    9 years ago

the stainless lined copper normally comes in 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5 total thickness. The traditional copper pots came in more thicknesses - probably 1.0 to 4.5 mm. but were lined with tin. Some of the 3+ to 4 + copper is collected and can be very expensive. The problem is that tin linings don;t take high heat, much above 475 degrees.

For sauce pans that's not a problem if you pay attention, but for shallow braziers and fry pans, it's better to own stainless lined copper.

Occasionally you will see nickle plated linings, they look much like stainless, also some copper is silver lined. Both styles can take heat but are not as robust as stainless..

Thicker copper is generally better, however it can get heavy. Again a fry pan is better to have thick. Sauce pans and sauciers in 2.mm are a bit lighter and still good to cook in. Avoid the thin stuff.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Congrats on coming over to the copper side. I agree completely with your findings. Unless, of course, you've got induction as your sole source of cook top heat, in which case I am sort of interested in these, which are in the ludicrous-expensive category.

Here is a link that might be useful: De Buyer Prima Matera

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 9:00

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sand808: Thanks so much for sharing your experience in transitioning to copper from stainless. I too repurposed much of my All Clad, but I've been using Demeyere Prolines and copper-disk based saucepans and braisiers from Demeyere and Sitram Catering. I'm still looking at thick stainless lined copper, and picked up a small tin lined saucepan. I'm keeping my eyes out for deals.

@kitchendetective: the De Buyer Prima Matera line is great, but certainly is a premium. I'm looking at Mauviel, Mafter Bourgeat and Falk.

@alexr -- I do think that the stainless lined copper will work for us better -- DH can't be trusted with too much tin.

• sandy808
    9 years ago

Hi gooster, just wondering if you've gotten any copper cookware yet and if so how you are liking it. My youngest daughter and her husband came over to visit and she went home with most of my All-Clad. She was absolutely thrilled!

I did hang onto my All-Clad stockpots, which I use a lot for making chicken and beef stock, or boiling things like pasta, and two of my copper core sauciers. I wasn't quite ready to let the sauciers go just yet for some reason.

Despite my having the Mauviel Windsor shaped pans, (and loving them), I still want one or two of the saucier shaped copper. I probably don't actually "need" them, but I sure would like them. The rounded saucier shape is so nice to work with sometimes, but,in reality, the Windsor shape works just fine.

Mauviel only makes the saucier shape in the 1.5mm, so not sure how the thinner copper would be for making something like a delicate ice cream base. Mauviel tells me if the burner is controlled properly it should not be a problem, but I'm still thinking thicker is still better. I might need to look into another brand.

Kitchendetective, that DeBuyer pan is gorgeous! Something like that might give me the rounded sides of a saucier pan, but be more versatile for cooking other things as well. Most of the time I prefer two handles rather than one long one anyway. I hardly ever used my All-Clad saucepans with the long handles. They seemed to always get in the way and I was always knocking into them.

I have a gas range, so fortunately I don't have to worry about being induction compatible.

It would be so enjoyable if this thread keeps going for a while. I know my way around a kitchen pretty well, but am new to the whole copper experience. It's opening up new cooking paths to explore. There's always much that can be learned.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sandy808: I'm still lurking around Ebay for vintage and sales for 2.5mm copper. I do have a 2mm Baumalu, but that is just a small piece that was in the discount section in Home Goods and was such a deal I had to try it out. I do think, however, that stainless lined copper will work better for this household. Thus, I'm looking at Mauviel, Mafter Bourgeat and Falk. Dehillerin of Paris also has some (made by Mafter or Mauviel, I think), in the Cuprinox Extra Thick 2.5mm line and they ship to the US.

I've been researching quite a bit, and there are some even smaller specialty producers out there hand crafting silver lined pots, even in 3mm and thicker.

I've been focusing on completing out some of my stainless. I have mostly Demeyere Atlantis with the 7 layer 2mm copper core bottoms (wrapped in thin silver, then stainless), but recently bought a Sitram Catering piece (2mm copper core) and a Silga Teknika (6.5 mm+ thick aluminum). These are good pieces, especially for the non saute/sauce pans.

Falk's 18 cm saucier is now on the "try me" special price. I might go for that. I think this is the only stainless lined 2.5 mm saucier (has other sizes as well)

Edited to add: Falk 18cm Saucier

This post was edited by gooster on Fri, Feb 6, 15 at 12:05

• divamom123
    8 years ago

I just got my new Mauviel cookware about a month ago, and funny...the first thing I made was scrambled eggs, and they too came out lighter and fluffier...just like sandy808 said. They are so beautiful, I am hoping to get a stunning pot rack to hang them from. I cannot bear to put them in a closed cabinet LOLOL!! My confession? I have them sitting on my dining room table so that I can look at them ... call me crazy but they are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@divamom123: Your pieces are lovely, and deserve to be on display!

Since the last post, I've now acquired a Mauviel Windsor pan and have a fry pan on back order. I also have a small saucepan (tin lined). I am contemplating switching my fry pan order to a small set that includes the saute, fry pan and saucepan.

I have not made eggs in the Windsor, but sauces are turning out great.

I do have a good collection now of SS (Demeyere All Clad CC, Sitram, Sliga), plus some bare cast iron and enameled (Staub, Le Creuset). I tend to believe different tools work for best for different purposes. Thus, I'm not certain I want the copper saute, which is holding me back from the set. I would probably like the regular saucepan and possibly a stock pot. The rondeau and dutch ovens are intriguing, but I need to be educated on the benefits.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21