Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning question

Posted by jennybog (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 12:29

Does anyone know why you cant use aluminum pots for canning? I am canning marmalade and the largest pot I have is aluminum? Thanks Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning question

It's okay to use aluminum pots for canning; in fact, the top of the line All American pressure canners are aluminum.

Raw aluminum can react with certain foods, but that won't happen if the food is in jars. Are you talking about cooking the marmalade in the aluminum pot, or are you talking about using the aluminum pot as a water bath canner?

o

Large aluminum stockpots make excellent water bath canners. Much better than those old thin, blue, speckled rustbuckets.

o

Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's. I think it would be ok to cook the sealed canning jars in an aluminum pot but I'd recommend not cooking any food in the pot by itself.

o

Not causally linked. Circumstantially linked. Nevertheless I wouldn't cook in aluminum for canning, as many home-canned foods (i.e. jams, tomato products, fruits, pickles) are high-acid and there can be flavor and color impairments due to interactions with the aluminum.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here