Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuch_gw

Lodge cast iron instead of regular nonstick skillet?

toomuch
18 years ago

It's now that time of year again, when I have to replace my one nonstick skillet b/c the nonstick is wearing off. I use it for omelettes, french toast, pancakes, etc. Anyway, I was wondering if, this time, I should get a cast iron skillet and season it (or get one that's pre-seasoned) as a replacement instead of getting another pan I know will wear out. Will I be able to use it for the same things? Any caveats?

TIA!

Comments (6)

• lizql
    18 years ago

I've been using cast iron for years. I wouldn't use anything else. All that you mentioned I've done in a cast skillet or a cast griddle. I don't know about preseasoned. I've always seansoned myself.

• toomuch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lizql, if I season the skillet myself in the oven, will I be able to use it right away for 'nonstick' foods, or do I have to wait until i've used it awhile?

• deanb
    18 years ago

Well seasoned cast iron will outperform nonstick for all the uses you mentioned. One caveat is that you MUST preheat the cast iron. Another caveat is that you shouldn't wash the cast iron with a detergent, it will deteriorate the seasoning. Simply use a brush with hot water and wipe the skillet with a little vegetable oil before you put it way. Even though you didn't mention any acid foods you don't want to cook acidic foods in cast iron, they will also deteriorate the seasoning.

• cpovey
    18 years ago

I have used cast iron for three plus decades. The non-stick coating that forms from seasoning is not as delicate as people make it sound. It is really more of a carbon coating than an oil coating. So, after a few uses, you can wash it with a little soap. Never soak it, and dry it immediately after use, buy puting in on a burner on low.

If you don't wash them, the grease/oil that builds up can become rancid. At work (I am a chef) yu are required by the food code to wash everything. We have some enoromous cast iron skillets that are used and washed regularly, and are still non-stick.

The one thing that that I use teflon for is omelets. There, it's great.

• toomuch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the information! I looked at the Lodge web site, and they offer both unseasoned and preseasoned pans. Is there anything wrong with getting the preseasoned ones? And if I want a good all-around 'beginner' pan, would the 10" chef skillet (the one w/slightly curved as opposed to straight sides) be a good place to start?

• gailr
    18 years ago

I have the LodgeLogic pre-seasoned cast iron skilets, smooth and grill pan, and love them. They start out black & shiny as if your grandmother had used them for years & years and gotten them all broken in for you.

When I get a new LL skillet, I always cook bacon in it 5-6 times before general use .. seems to really get the skillet going quick, as to being non-stick.

Just be sure the oil you use to LIGHTLY coat the cleaned and warmed skillet is a vegetable oil.

Also pick up a cast iron, wooden handled meat press while you are shopping, for a very versatile kitchen helper .. love it for cooking bacon without all the curling up.

Gail R (WNY)