Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick of hard to keep clean Alum cookie sheets!

Posted by renoincali (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 2:52

Which way should I go: Non-stick or Silpat liners? Any input would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick of hard to keep clean Alum cookie sheets!

Are they thin or heavy duty? What are you baking? Do you use parchment paper?

My lightweight cookies sheets never cleaned up well, and they warped. I got a pair of shiny heavy duty professional sheets at Sam's Club for $10. They clean up perfectly every time. I do use parchment paper when I bake cookies and stuff like that. When I do oven fried potatoes, I use oil, and stuff sticks, but it washes right off. They look as good as new.

I have not used the Silpat liners but others do and swear by them.

o

Parchment paper is great, Silpat liners even better (because infinately reusable). Bakers Catalog used to have a tube of pre cut parchment with many, many sheets. If they still sell them that way, it is a bargain. Great for from-scratch pizza, fyi.

o

I always use Silpat-type liners. You don't need Silpat brand though. On Amazon, you can find a brand called Matfer Exopat that are half the price of Silpat and work perfectly.

o

I have a stainless cookie sheet and it's not worth a toot....
Aluminum is best...even though hard to clean.
An SOS soap pad works wonders...but prevention is the best policy.
Silpat is good as is parchment paper.
Linda C

o

I like Doughmakers cookie sheets. They're ugly but they work -- and clean up beautifully. Doughmakers sheets have little indented lines all over that let air underneath during baking & then help release the cookie later.

I've always been a fan of parchment paper & know fans of the various Silpat clones but now that I have a couple Doughmakers cookie sheets I don't need other products. (I sound like a commercial but I promise I have no financial interest!!! I see them at TJMaxx as well as "better" cooking shops.)

If I do something really stupid I still have to soak the sheet flat for a few minutes in my sink. But everything seems to release with those little lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doughmakers cookie sheets

o

I read on the cooking forum last year, tried it and now only bake cookies using parchment paper.

o

It sounds like either parchment or Silpat-type liners are the way, but I have seen comments on Amazon that these silicon products (Silpat-type)do leave an "aftertaste". Any experiences? Also, no one mentioned non-stick as an option, is this due to staying away from the teflon products in general? Thanks all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here