Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cookware for thermador induction freedom? help

Posted by meade (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 1:54

hi,

new the forum but i noticed in the past months leading up to this point when i google search anything for my kitchen i always land up reading an article here... so i figured i should join.. and ask my question[s] here.

our kitchen will be completed in about 2 weeks. we purchased a thermador induction freedom cooktop. i am looking for a new cookware set with these parameters:

must work on induction!!
non stick but preferably not teflon
can use metal utensils
can use in dishwasher

**would be nice but not a must**
solid handle
perhaps colored

i saw a cookware set that was copper online and almost pulled the trigger but then realized the fine print said absolutely not dishwasher set. a friend of mine recommended a sitram cybernox2 set.

my wife and i are going to take our kitchen very serious having been without a kitchen for a very long time... anyway. one of the things i really want is a pot for boiling spaghetti that has a strainer within it... seems so much more functional then dumping the water into a strainer to be able to cook within one. i have also seen some pots that are self stirring. i guess i never realized all the cookware that was available and im really hoping someone can point me in the right direct here. price point isnt a great concern, this kitchen is a huge investment as i plan on using this cookware for a really, really long time and want to make sure im using the right tools to cook.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cookware for thermador induction freedom? help

Perhaps investigate these, if you haven't already:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/demeyere-controlinduc/stainless-steel-thermolon-nonstick-skillet-p123550

which are made in Belgium

or these,
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling-sensation

and add some Thermolon pieces to them

(I have never used thermalon, so I don't know.)

Most people here do not recommend purchasing sets, as they frequently contain pieces you may not need. Many here do not use nonstick as all of it seems to be prone to complaints of chipping and peeling. I would read and re-read the other threads about induction cookware. So much of this depends upon how you cook, or intend to cook, the quantity, the techniques, etc., that it is difficult to say.

Here is a link that might be useful: One induction cookware thread

o

thanks for sharing these, i am going to research them and go over them now. i should of clarified what i meant by set, i learned from prior reading on here not to buy a set and buy only what you need. why this never came to me before when we had pans that just sat i have no clue. we are pretty much going to be going from eating out/quick cooking food for the past 5 years to _completely_ eating in. so, its all new including techniques. i have however started to write a list of foods we want to cook and will cook, so i know which size pans to buy!

cheers

o

Here's a link to an induction cookware search result. Some information is outdated. For example, the Copper Core line from All-Clad was not originally induction-compatible, but it now is. So, do attend to date of manufacture.

Here is a link that might be useful: A master list

o

I think if you want true nonstick that's not Teflon, you're pretty much limited to ceramic finishes, like Thermolon.

Scanpan, Swiss Diamond and some others claim to be not Teflon, but that's not really true. Teflon is PTFE, so any pan with a PTFE coating is essentially Teflon, no matter what marketing spin is used.

There are some pans that are almost nonstick, like cast iron and carbon steel, but they're not at all dishwasher friendly. They don't require much in the way of care, so that's certainly something you might want to consider.

Consider DeBuyer or Paderno carbon steel.
http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-Round/dp/B00462QP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382487672&sr=8-1&keywords=mineralb#customerImages

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-Heavy-Carbon-Steel-Frying/dp/B000RWGC12/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1382487883&sr=1-1&keywords=paderno+carbon+steel+pan

or Lodge cast iron.
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCS3-Chefs-Skillet-10-inch/dp/B00008GKDJ/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1382487929&sr=1-2&keywords=lodge+cast+iron+skillet

Both carbon steel and bare cast iron do require seasoning, but once seasoned they're pretty low maintenance. They're also almost impossible to ruin. My best advice is to read the many threads both here and at Chow for tips on living with them. Chow is especially helpful for carbon steel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here