Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noodlesportland

Soup Pot-Lodge or All Clad?

noodlesportland
15 years ago

Hi-I am in great need of a small soup pot. I have a larger one but want a 3 1/2 or 4 quart one. I have narrowed it down to All Clad stainless or a Lodge? Any opinions welcome. This is to replace a 30 year only Reverware that was great but warped. I have, also been using a larger Scan Pan that I have never been thrilled will and have decided that the dark finish changes the looks/taste of the soup.

Comments (11)

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Um, for me it would be neither. I'd prefer Le Creuset for a soup pot.

• noodlesportland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So-a friend told me that their Le Creuset and their Lodge perform much the same--Thoughts?

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I have Lodge cast iron frying pans (no enamel), but I haven't used a Lodge pot for soup. I prefer enameled cast iron for soup. I also try to avoid food-related items that are made in China because quality control seems to be an issue. I like super heavy pieces as soup pots and the All-Clad isn't as heavy as the Le Creuset. I can't make a direct Lodge vs. Le Creuset comparison because I use them for different things. I'd be worried about tomato soup in an non-enameled iron pot unless the pot was perfectly seasoned. It might get a metallic taste.

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if everyone here is on the same page (if so, then sorry), but Lodge does make enameled cast iron cookware.

As to the China sentiment, I do agree to a point. But it also depends on how much you want to spend. You can go to Target and buy a Chinese enameled cast iron pot for 40 bucks, or you can buy an equivalent size Le Creuset (or Staub) pot for about $200 or more. Yet in the end, they will all perform basically the same.

How do I know? Because I own a cheap Target enameled cast iron pot in addition to my Le Creuset and Descoware cookware. The only difference, IMNSHO, is in the attention to detail of the interior and exterior glazing. Other than that, they perform pretty much the same...

• noodlesportland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have some some research, as I was hoping to find a pot that is NOT made in China. I found All Clad stainless, Lodge, and Le Creuset. I have never used an emameled cast iron pot but think I would like it more than the stainless as if stainless gets a burn spot it never seems to be right again. So-that is why I am wondering if the Lodge will be as good or even "good enough" as the Le Creuset. Also-I have seen a 3 quart Le Creuset at a discount store recently but it looked just a tad too small, so I have decided on a 3 1/2--this is soup for 2 or 3 with not a lot of left overs...

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

"...I was hoping to find a pot that is NOT made in China. I found All Clad stainless, Lodge, and Le Creuset."

Lodge enameled cookware is made in China. Check their website for yourself.

"...if stainless gets a burn spot it never seems to be right again."

Not sure where you got that bit of info, but it's not true.

"...so I have decided on a 3 1/2--this is soup for 2 or 3 with not a lot of left overs..."

Personally, I find a 5 or 6 qt. size pot to be the most versatile. If you do get an enameled cast iron pot, you will end up using it for more than soup.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Aniother who seconds the enamel coated cast iron....cheap or expensive it all cooks veryw ell. The cheap chips more easily around the rim where the lid fits....but not sure that the difference is worth the price difference.
    Get just one....and you will be buying one in every size!
    Linda C

• noodlesportland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok-you have all sold me on the enamel coated cast iron. I appreciate ALL of you answers. I have really needed new cookware for years and am determined to start picking pieces and this will be my first. I will recheck theLodge site--I looked a few days ago and missed that it is made in China. Thanks

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I'm not up on current pricing as my LC is mostly 30+ years old. However, some people have discussed purchases at LC outlet stores and other discounters.

• JoanM
    15 years ago

I have a 4 qt target enameled pot and a 9 qt LC and I have been looking for a size in between. I think I may try the Staub that QVC sells. It says it is made in France. It is about a 1/3 of the price of LC. They offer a 5 qt round and a 6 qt oval. I was wanting a 7 qt but I may just get the 6 qt Staub since it is so cheap.

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

I got a 5 quart round Staub from QVC about 2-3 years ago. I like it; it's nice.

I note that it is a little different from the Staub that you'd find at W-S or SLT. It doesn't have the "basting nubs" on the lid, and the inside is cream-colored instead of black. I suspect it's a bit lighter, too, although it seems plenty heavy enough for my needs. I like the light-colored insides much better than the usual black, and I don't care much about the basting nubs.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone