Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookncarpenter

High centered All-clad skillet?

cookncarpenter
9 years ago

Found what I thought was a great deal on an 11" D5 skillet at T.J. Maxx Home Goods. First use I saute some asparagus and garlic in butter and olive oil. I notice the oils are draining off to the edge of the pan, and I can actually "feel" with the spatula that the bottom of the pan is not flat across the bottom, but high in the center. Is this normal? I'm wondering if it is intentional to drain off fats and oils? I've been cooking for over 40 years, and it just feels strange, could the pan be warped? Does Home goods sell seconds?? Or is this the way it should be... (about 3/32" in a six inch straight edge)

Comments (9)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Grab a large hammer, a block of wood and a sturdy work bench.

And smack it.

Carefully.

In my foolish years when I bought stupidly expensive pans like Calphalon and Le Creuset, there was no real guarantee of a flat bottom. Interestingly (to me) they seem to rocker down, not rise up, when being off. Wok wannabees.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

I got a large T-Fal frying pan at Marshall's a couple of years ago, and it's done the same thing. It's non-stick and only cost $10, so I'll just a replacement at Costco (the pack of 2 or 3 pans for $20).

Have never ever had that happen to me before. We don't use it a lot and my DH uses it mainly for breakfast on the weekend, so I didn't use it much.

Never again for T-Fal, cross that brand off my list.

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Grubby, I just mat give that a try! ...after I give some real heat ;)

• flsandytoes
    9 years ago

To quote All-Clad about the d5 line:

"The patented stainless core significantly improves stability to prevent warping and maximises the thermal conductivity of aluminum"

I take this statement to include the crowning that you're experiencing. Contact All-Clad to inquire about it. Unless the pan is a "Second", it has a full lifetime warranty. Seconds are stamped with an "S" on the handle, usually on the underside.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

FWIW, I bought some All-Clad d5 from WS and did not experience any crowning. However, I have since replaced them with Demeyere Proline and am much happier because of the Silvonix finish and construction (supplemented recently with a Zwillings Henckels Spirit Thermolon which is amazing with eggs)

• flsandytoes
    9 years ago

Hi gooster,

My 11" Proline pan didn't exhibit any crowning, either. I wasn't such a fan of the Silvinox finish. I think I'm an oddball that way, most owners like you love it to pieces. They're excellent pans, that's for sure. I eventually returned it to BB&B and after being without a large skillet for about 6 months, I scored a 12" Henckels TruClad pan (same construction as Spirit, different handle, no Thermolon) on clearance for $50. Score.

I agree with you about the Henckels Spirit, they're wonderful. I've got the 3-qt sauté and I've found that for anything not needing much fond (which is a LOT of fried/sautéed stuff), it's better than I ever knew nonstick could be.

I saw this week that Henckels has released another 5-ply line, Aurora. It's the same construction as their Sensation line (flat base, 5-ply), but lacks the Silvinox finish. A little lighter than the Proline, with less aluminum, but it should still out-perform most other clad cookware. I wish I could justify adding another frypan to my arsenal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zwilling Aurora

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I love the Silvonix finish for the ease of cleanup and the lack of any interior rivets. I also have the conical sauteuse Atlantis pan and it is a great all-purpose pan. I also picked up the flat bottomed saute and saucepans with the silver-wrapped copper cores -- OneKingsLane had some good deals this past year on Demeyere and I went a little crazy :). And the d5 I purchased was on a really good deal that W&S was running in one of their daily email specials.

That is why I paused before picking up another ZH Spirit -- I readily admit to a problem.

• flsandytoes
    9 years ago

A problem I understand well. I've got 8 skillets sized from 9"-12". That's at least 4 too many, and doesn't include my deBuyer steel crepe pans.

Additionally, I've got 3 sauté pans, all about 3 quarts. I don't know what I was thinking.

I show tremendous restraint, comparatively speaking, when it comes to saucepans, with just just 3 different sizes, in the very cheaply priced but really well made Vollrath Optio line. Plus 2 sauciers, a Vollrath Tribute that turned out to be too shallow and a Bonjour by Meyer that is a joy.

I'm really determined not to buy more, because I've got some terrific stuff already, most of it extra thick clad, Any new pans would give me only a small improvement, if any.

Still, the Zwilling Aurora looks tailor-made for me. I don't care about rivets or welds, I'm good with either, but the combination of Demeyere's flat base (Sigma Clad 5-ply) with the satin finish is a big draw. I do not like polished steel at all. Not one little bit.

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All good info, thanks, I have been using the pan now for a month and accepting the bit of crowning. It is a nice pan in that it has low sides, which I like.
    But, I'll always love my 100 year old Griswold and Wagner cast iron :)