Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliet3_gw

Does Anyone Have JCPenney's Brand Non-Stick Pans?

juliet3
15 years ago

I am looking for an inexpensive non-stick 12" skillet. I didn't like anything I saw at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target - either too heavy, too flimsy, or surprisingly expensive! I think 12" pans are typically pretty high-priced.

I saw two 12" non-stick pans at JCPenney, in their "Cooks" line which is the JCPenney house brand. One pan is hard-anodized, and one is tri-ply. The price is great for either of them. Both pans had stickers that said "Whitford Eclipse coating", which I know is just another company's version of Dupont's teflon. But I did a little research, and some blogs and reviews said that the Whitford Eclipse is somewhat superior to Dupont's. I am not expecting years of use; but a couple of years would be nice, and also even heating/cooking would be good too. So I was wondering if anyone has either of these pans (linked below), and could give me feedback. Also, would one of these pans be a better choice than the other?

(Please, no discussions on the dangers of non-stick coatings, or the superiority of cast iron. I have read those other threads. I just want feedback on these non-stick pans, or any other non-stick pans that are reasonably priced. Thanks.)

JCPenney's 12" Tri-ply Nonstick Pan

JCPenney's 12" Hard Anodized Skillet

Comments (8)

• nwesterner
    15 years ago

Almost a year ago I purchased a 10" Cook's non-stick, hard anodized exterior, fry pan. We use it mostly for eggs and cheese, but have cooked other things at times.

It has held up and doesn't have chips or scratches, but I have noticed that it does have some streaking marks that seem to be from the non-metal utensils. I have discovered that some plastic (non-silicon) type utensils are rough on the edges and can make marks or scratches on the non-stick, so have tried to be careful when purchasing any new utensils to use on the non-stick.

I like the weight of the pan and the handle and so far it has worked well for the purpose intended.

• patly
    15 years ago

I don't have JCPenney's non stick pans, but I do have a set of three non stick skillets from Costco.
    They were only $20.00 and I use at least one of them daily.
    The finish does get nicked after a few years, but at the low cost, I simply replace the set.
    I don't know if Costco is near you, but if so, they are worth a look.

• juliet3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to follow up my OP. When I went to JC Penney, I ended up buying two pans. Penney's was having a huge sale on the Circulon 12" non-stick, originally $59, on sale for $17.99! So I bought that Circulon 12" pan, and also the Cooks Tri-Ply linked above, except in the 10" size. I decided I didn't like the handles on the Cooks hard-anodized, so that choice was out of the running.

The 10" pan size is actually more practical, since I use it more frequently. But I am glad to have the 12" size for those times I have a big amount for the pan. Having now used both the Circulon and the Tri-Ply non-stick, I'd say the Tri-Ply is slightly preferable. Mostly for cleaning; they both cook equally well. The Circulon, with its tiny ridges (that help with the non-stick ability) is a slightly bit harder to clean cause you have to make sure all the ridges are clean. It's not a big deal, maybe another 30-45 seconds of cleaning over the Tri-Ply nonstick.

Hope my post helps anyone else looking for non-stick pans that are inexpensive but still cook well. I know there is another thread on this Forum where someone doesn't like their T-Fal nonstick. I saw those T-Fals in the store, and felt they were really lightweight, compared to other pans in that same price ballpark. I am glad I chose the JC Penney's Cooks Tri-Ply, and would recommend it.

• crcostel_comcast_net
    15 years ago

Are the tri-ply nonstick skillets oven safe?

• jessyf
    15 years ago

I bought an Ikea non-stick for $15 and I am VERY happy with it. Not paper thin, and it hasn't nicked yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't know if this is it, but looks close

• SweetEGS_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I've had penney's Cooks Anodized cookware for a year and I LOVE IT! Believe the claims... you CAN use metal utensils... it DOES NOT scratch! BUT, you CANNOT wash in the dishwasher. Well worth the price... in fact on sale now for 1/2 price.

• SweetEGS_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I've had penney's Cooks Anodized cookware for a year and I LOVE IT! Believe the claims... you CAN use metal utensils... it DOES NOT scratch! BUT, you CANNOT wash in the dishwasher. Well worth the price... in fact on sale now for 1/2 price.

• Larry Bays
    3 years ago

I don't buy at JCPenney anymore due to different reasons. One of the reasons is there is no JCPenney Store nearby me and the other is the JCPenney Return Policy which sucks.