Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fantastic cookware?

Posted by chemark (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 20:54

Hello All:

I'm slowly building up a solid kitchen. Got some sweet wine glasses, a nice wusthof knife set, a killer epicurian cutting board, and now, I want to buy some fantastic cookware...

I generally cook lots of chicken, fish, steak, veggies, rice, pasta. Pretty basic stuff, but I'd like to eventually branch out to some more exotic and complicated dishes. I use a gas burner stove top, and one of the burners has a very high flame.

I really like the advantages of non-stick cookware, especially since I don't cook with alot of oil or butter, although I've been reading that there might be health risks involved with that. Also, many times I cook it's on the go, and I don't want to spend alot of extra time cleaning my pots and pans. I tend to cook chicken, fish and steak at a high flame, because I like crusty, kind of burnt outside to my food.

The gold standard would seem to be a pan, or a set that has a copper sandwich or lining, and is made of a durable material, with some sort of non-stick surface. Does that even exist though? And if it does, is that a good product to buy, or is there better stuff out there?

What I'm really asking you cooking enthusiasts is, can you please point me in the direction of cookware that has fantastic performance and durability, with as little maintenance as possible? I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Muchas Gracias,
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fantastic cookware?

Mark,

One good option for your kind of cooking is cast iron. It's inexpensive and will virtually be non-stick with good seasoning. You can buy pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron.

Another more (much more) expensive option is All-Clad copper core. Get some Bar Keeper's Friend for cleaning. It's next to the Comet cleanser in your supermarket.

The right way to use all cookware (except non-stick) is to preheat the pan, then preheat the fat (you don't have to use much) and have your meat at room temperature. You'll be surprised how little sticking will occur and you'll be able to build a fond that you can deglaze to make tasty sauces with. You might want a non-stick piece or two to cook eggs in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here