Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where can I buy carbon steel knives?

Posted by jomichele (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 20:24

I want to buy some carbon steel knives for the kitchen, but I'm having a hard time finding anyone who sells them. Old Hickory has discontinued making Chef's knives, Forschner has apparently discontinued their carbon steel line and even Sabatier's new knives seem to all be stainless. I value the high carbon blades because I like to sharpen my own knives by hand and this steel is so much easier to sharpen and it hold the edge so well. I will be grateful for any leads....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where can I buy carbon steel knives?

You can still buy Sabatier carbon steel knives here:

http://www.cutlery.com/sabatier.shtml

Your other choice is Japanese carbon steel knives. Just google it.

o

There's a guy named Ralph who has a store on eBay. He specializes in knives, many of them vintage carbon steel. I've ordered a couple from him; they were exactly as described, and the transaction was smooth with no glitches. He handles everything from mass market inexpensive knives all the way up to items in the four figures. You might check out his inventory at the link.

Also, doing an eBay search for 'vintage carbon steel knives' will usually bring up some results--however, lots of people in cyberspace like these knives as well so expect the bidding to be spirited (i.e., don't expect bargains).

I got hooked on carbon steel knives when I acquired a bunch of them at a yard sale. Great stuff, and I greatly prefer them for cutting anything non-acidic.

There are some more Sabatiers available at this link:

http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatiercarbon.htm

Bear in mind that Sabatier is not a brand; several manufacturing companies use that term.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay knife store

o

I bought some carbon steels at

Sabatier Factory Outlet
Point S
Yemassee, SC 29945
843-726-6444

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here