Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanb_gw

Calphalon One and recipe for rosemary crusted NY steak

deanb
18 years ago

I bought several pieces of Calphalon One about a year and half ago and I do love this stuff. One of the applications it really excels at is pan frying a steak where a good fond is desired for a sauce. You get a better fond with anodized aluminum than with a stainless steel cooking surface because the aluminum is so much better at conducting heat than SS.

Here is one of my favorite recipes:

Rosemary Crusted New York steak with Rosemary Brandy Sauce

Ingredients

1 New York strip steak 1.5" thick (aged if possible) with all border fat removed

1/3 cup finely minced fresh rosemary

coursely ground fresh black pepper

1 tsp kosher salt

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

For Sauce:

6 oz double strength demi-glace (more about this later)

2 tbsp brandy

1 tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary

1 tbsp butter

Directions:

Make the sauce base first. You can buy demi-glace concentrate at gourmet groceries or on the internet. Reconsitute the demi-glace to double strength (i.e. use half the water called for). This is done most easily when the water is boiling. Then add the brandy.

Bring the steak to room temperature and coat lightly with the olive oil but reserve 1 tbsp olive oil for frying the steak. Coat both sides of the steak with the pepper then press the rosemary into the meat with the heel of your hand. There may be some rosemary left over.

Preheat the pan on medium for about 2.5 to 3 minutes or until the rim is hot to the touch. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat the oil for a minute or so but don't let the olive oil smoke. Add the steak and cook to desired doneness (about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare).

Remove the steak to a plate, sprinkle it with the salt, and deglaze the pan with the demi-glace mixture. Quickly reduce the sauce to a gravy consistency then swirl in the butter.

Note: I age whole New York strips in my refrigerator with very good results. If anyone is interested I'll tell you how to do it.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath