Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's cooking?

Posted by middlechild33 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 18:16

DH and I want to give each other new pots and pans for Christmas. Since we will most likely be celebrating the holidays with a totally gutted kitchen, it seemed an appropriate gift. We also plan to get new dinnerware when we christen the finished kitchen, as a well-deserved reward for all the inconvenience we've lived with.

Anyway, we've been cooking very happily with Revereware since the beginning of our marriage, but realize there must be new and better cookware that has come onto the market over the years. A friend bought T-Fal a while ago, and more recently other friends recommended Calphalon as well as Pampered Chef pots and pans.

Does anyone have any information and experience with specific brands and grades? For instance, when I looked at Calphalon in a store this weekend, I saw that there are several "tiers" with corresponding price tiers. What is the difference in quality? Our cooktop will be a Wolf electric smoothtop, in case it makes a difference.

We would appreciate any pointers as to where we should start looking, and what we should look for. And if anyone has any recommendations, we'd like to hear the "whats and whys." Thanks for any help you can provide!! PS: It's now less than 3 months until Christmas........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's cooking?

Hi middlechild..saw your posting in kitchens but thought I would respond here.
We used to cook w/ Farberware for years, and then DH got me a starter set of All Clad. I just love it! It heats up quickly and cooks evenly, and the stainless version can go in the dishwasher.

I will say that it takes a little diligence to keep clean - especially if you want it to stay nice and shiny. I recommend Barkeeper's Friend to get rid of any spots or stubborn stains - it works in a snap.

For non-stick, I've heard that Scanpan has a pretty good product out, and I've ordered one of their frying pans to check it out. Your'e supposed to be able to use metal utensils in it with no problem, and the reviews say that the non-stick quality is very good.

o
RE: What's cooking?

I recommend not buying s "set"....buy a different pan for what you want to use it for.
I would start out with 2 good quality non-stick fry pans....aluminum not stainless, heats better. I like a 6 inch and a 10 inch,
Then you will want a Le Cruset....or other enameled cast iron Dutch oven...at least 16 cup, with a lid. And a fry or gratin pan that goes from stove top to oven....like a cast iorn fry pan or a enameled cast iron one,
You will need a stock pot, I like a clad bottom with stainless interior....and a lid.
And a couple of utility pans for heating canned beans, or re heating soup, boiling a few potatoes etc.
I don't much care for Calphalon....tossed one small pan in the trash.....still have another....but it's big, expensive and rarely used.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here