Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

so, what about those starrter kits

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

I have seen the starter kits for people just starting out for about thirty dollars. They usually have a few pots and pans, measuring cups, utensils, and a few place settings. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am a college student getting my first apartment... I know that the stuff in those kits is probably of inferior quality... that is why I want to know before I buy one. I don't have anything, so it would be easy to get a starter kit, but is it worth it? Have you tried any of them? How are the things included? Thanks

Comments (2)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Don't buy a starter kit....I am sure there will be stuff you don't need...
    If you are watching the pennies, go to the Salvation Army or Good Will thrift store, or hit an estate sale or 2 and buy what you need. it will be cheaper, better quality and you can buy only what you need for less.
    At a dollar story you can buy 4 plates, 4 mugs and 4 bowls for $12....new...matching..nice.
    Then for $3 or $4 you can get a good quality used pan, and kitchen utensils for a little more.
    When my daughter went to her first apartment, I fit her out at garage sales and auctions....and she still is using a couple of the Farberware pans I bought...20 years later. She bought a rocker at an auction for $12 and stripped the paint and varnished and is still using that.
    Good quality used is better than cheap new any day.
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

I'm with Linda on this 100%! I would add antique malls & flea markets to her list of shopping places, though.

I've never seen a starter kit of any kind (from cookware to woodworking to flytying ) that actually made much sense. Far too often the contents are very inferior (what good is anything if it breaks right away, or doesn't do the job it's supposed to)and are things you don't want or won't use.

You'd be surprised at how little cookware you need when first starting out. Before buying anything---new or used---give some thought to what you think you'll really need. Go out and get the high priority stuff right away. Then keep a running list of things to add.

For instance, start with one graduated measuring cup. If you're on a budget, go with plastic. If not, check out the newer stainless ones. Maybe that's all you need. But if it turns out you are happier with individual cups instead, you can always fill in with them later.

Even the basics can be pretty slim. How many skillets do you need? How many saucepans? Initially, one of each should serve your needs (for starters, an 8 or 10 inch skillet and a 2 qt. saucepan) until you develop your own style. Then if you need more, go get 'em.

There is no need to spend a lot of money on place settings. Dishes and flatware are available everywhere at relatively low prices. And the selection is much better than you'd get in those kits. Check out the china at Walmart, for instance.

The long and the short of it is this: You can outfit a starter kitchen for well under a hundred bucks, with better quality stuff, stuff that you'll actually use, then you'll find in a kit. That's the route I'd take.