Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtread13

Best Brand for Vacuum Sealer for Food

MTRead13
9 years ago

What have you found to be the best brand for vacuum sealing food? I'd be looking for both bags and containers - just seem like we end up wasting more or not having good quality means of saving food longer.

Also - would vacuum sealing prolong the useful life for homemade rubs?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

If you can find an older Foodsaver that would be your best bet. Try and get one that was made in Italy, before the founders sold the company and they moved production to Asia. We still have our Compact Foodsaver made by Talia(I think that is the founding company name). We bought it in the early 1990's. Still works like a gem. The once white plastic is now a bit yellowed and it doesn't compare to the looks of the nice, new shiny Stainless Steel ones that are being sold now. I must say I am tempted by the looks of them,lol. Try tag sales or 2nd hand shops. We buy our bags online at a discount. For our homemade rubs we store those in mason jars with the silicon ring and metal latch. hth, NancyLouise

• anoriginal
    9 years ago

I'm a Food Saver fan, too. Have NEVER had a new one... all from yard sales or thrift stores. When I bought the first, new to me, unit... after asking if it WORKED (and being assured that it did), asked WHY they were selling it. Seller said she got it because the commercials convinced her she'd save a ton on "family size" packages of meat. When it became apparent to her that a big package of chicken (in nothing more than supermarket packaging) had NO real chance of getting freezer burned in a household with 2 adults and 2 TEEN boys, she quit using it.

I'm cooking for 1, so the FS is perfect for me. A typical package of boneless/skinless chicken breasts usually consists of 3-4 BIG pieces... WAY more than I want for dinner... even considering left-overs for lunch. Same with ground meat... smallest packages usually about a pound... too much for one person. I find packages between 1 & 1.5 lbs and vac seal half for later. A half to 3/4 lb is plenty for make something like chili for me.

Have found a LOT of their canisters. Like them for DRY stuff that won't necessarily go bad, but will get stale. Found sometimes seal fails... and I'll find the teeniest of crack (on bottom)... at that point the piece is pretty much shot for vac sealing.

I LOVE that thing that lets you seal in Mason jars! It's NOT to replace canning, but is great for little pastas, rice, beans, grains. Can be opened and resealed several times... as long as ya don't dent/bend lid. Would work great for storing herbs/spices/rubs. Would love to find LARGE Mason jars... like GALLON size, if they even make that big??

Early this summer, I made MAJOR yard sale finds on FS stuff. Combined total from 2 different sales... well over 50$ worth of bags and rolls to make bags AND a FS unit (called something like Deluxe Game-something & priced on Amazon for something like $139)... for $10! I have never seen the bags ever go "on sale" anywhere, so now I'm set for a good long time.

• MTRead13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input on this - I appreciate it. I had heard of bad recent experiences with Food Saver, but those were so recent that they were clearly after the time you all referenced in terms of the acquisition and product change.

I've seen a few other brands without finding too much info. Williams-Sonoma has ARY, but it has some very mixed reviews.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for the older Foodserver option.

I hope to use it for bulk meats as was mentioned, vacuuming for travel (for various items packed in coolers for trips where I'm the/a cook - bbq contests, camping trips, etc.), prior to freezing, and for extending spice and other dry items' life.

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

There are three types of vac sealers - the Food Saver type , snorkel, and chamber. While the Food Savers can do a good job, the bags are pretty expensive, and I never see them on sale. If you go with a nozzle - snorkel, or a chamber sealer, you can use flat bags. I went with a snorkel - the Sinbo - and like it a lot, and the bags are much cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vac Sealers Explained.