Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
turkey roaster rec?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 16:35

I'm looking for recommendations for a turkey roasting pan, preferably not non-stick and even better if it's induction capable. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: turkey roaster rec?

You don't want a non stick turkey roaster....
At least you don't if you want to use it for roasting a turkey.
It won't develop a fond and make good gravy and you can't use it over high heat.
How about a Calphalon or another anodized aluminum one?
Easy enough to clean.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda--it looks like a typo but I did mean to say not non-stick! :)

I do like Calphalon but it won't work on my induction cooktop. (I've got a few pieces collecting dust right now.) If I can't find an induction-capable "sticky" roaster I'll probably go Calphalon and hmmm...make gravy on the barbecue grill?

It doesn't look like one can get a cast iron turkey pan. I guess it would be awfully heavy when loaded, but seems like that would be ideal.

o

I like the roasting pans by Graniteware (the speckled black ones). I don't use a top. They make the BEST gravy. And I believe you can use them on an induction cooktop.

o

I love those graniteware roasters too. I use the top until the last 15 or 20 minutes when I take it off to crisp the skin.

They are enamel coated steel, so they should work on an induction cooktop.

o

Thanks for the Graniteware suggestion. I think I have one, or (more likely) a knockoff that I picked up many years ago in the grocery store along with my first turkey. It has ribs on the bottom so while it works on the induction, it's not really even. But that's the least of MY cooking problems! :)

I think I'll look for a bigger one--mine does work well enough, but it's a little small for this year! I wonder if Graniteware ever made blue ones like mine. Hmm. But I agree. It works! Why mess with success?

o

If you are even thinking "granite ware"....think of searching for an old Savory roaster...
Believe me nothing cooks a turkey like they do! Self basting, heavy, dark, turkey browns well...nothing like it.
The bottom has double walled construction and the lid is made to be self basting.
My hot shot gourmet cook son pooh poohs the bird cooked in the old roaster with the lid....says it's not roasted but steamed....but when it comes time to carve the turkey, his job, he always says something like "I don't know, Mom, but your turkey is always so delicious"....perhaps it's the wine or bloody Marys before dinner?
But those old dark roasters are not to be beat.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: roaster

o

Thanks Linda. That does look pretty nice. But now I'm wondering if due to my limited storage space, a multi-use kind of roasting pan might be better than a giant covered roaster. Le Creuset has a pan that's 10.2 x 15.8 x 2.8 inches, but I'm not sure if it's big enough for a turkey. Clearly it's the right size for a dessert, though! ;)

o

i was researching the same question. if space is a factor, you might want to check out Foldtuk roaster. it's foldable and saves space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here