Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

turkey roaster rec?

Fori
15 years ago

I'm looking for recommendations for a turkey roasting pan, preferably not non-stick and even better if it's induction capable. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• lindac
    15 years ago

You don't want a non stick turkey roaster....
    At least you don't if you want to use it for roasting a turkey.
    It won't develop a fond and make good gravy and you can't use it over high heat.
    How about a Calphalon or another anodized aluminum one?
    Easy enough to clean.
    Linda C

• Fori
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Linda--it looks like a typo but I did mean to say not non-stick! :)

I do like Calphalon but it won't work on my induction cooktop. (I've got a few pieces collecting dust right now.) If I can't find an induction-capable "sticky" roaster I'll probably go Calphalon and hmmm...make gravy on the barbecue grill?

It doesn't look like one can get a cast iron turkey pan. I guess it would be awfully heavy when loaded, but seems like that would be ideal.

• User
    15 years ago

I like the roasting pans by Graniteware (the speckled black ones). I don't use a top. They make the BEST gravy. And I believe you can use them on an induction cooktop.

• awm03
    15 years ago

I love those graniteware roasters too. I use the top until the last 15 or 20 minutes when I take it off to crisp the skin.

They are enamel coated steel, so they should work on an induction cooktop.

• Fori
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the Graniteware suggestion. I think I have one, or (more likely) a knockoff that I picked up many years ago in the grocery store along with my first turkey. It has ribs on the bottom so while it works on the induction, it's not really even. But that's the least of MY cooking problems! :)

I think I'll look for a bigger one--mine does work well enough, but it's a little small for this year! I wonder if Graniteware ever made blue ones like mine. Hmm. But I agree. It works! Why mess with success?

• lindac
    15 years ago

If you are even thinking "granite ware"....think of searching for an old Savory roaster...
    Believe me nothing cooks a turkey like they do! Self basting, heavy, dark, turkey browns well...nothing like it.
    The bottom has double walled construction and the lid is made to be self basting.
    My hot shot gourmet cook son pooh poohs the bird cooked in the old roaster with the lid....says it's not roasted but steamed....but when it comes time to carve the turkey, his job, he always says something like "I don't know, Mom, but your turkey is always so delicious"....perhaps it's the wine or bloody Marys before dinner?
    But those old dark roasters are not to be beat.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: roaster

• Fori
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Linda. That does look pretty nice. But now I'm wondering if due to my limited storage space, a multi-use kind of roasting pan might be better than a giant covered roaster. Le Creuset has a pan that's 10.2 x 15.8 x 2.8 inches, but I'm not sure if it's big enough for a turkey. Clearly it's the right size for a dessert, though! ;)

• newcook_2009
    14 years ago

i was researching the same question. if space is a factor, you might want to check out Foldtuk roaster. it's foldable and saves space.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting